- Volume 39 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Supplementation Enhances the Porcine Semen Preservation Capacity
- Chung, Ki-Hwa (Dept. of Animal Material Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, In-Cheul (IACF, HanKyong National University) ;
- Son, Jung-Ho (Noah Biotech Inc.)
- Received : 2014.12.26
- Accepted : 2015.01.17
- Published : 2015.02.28
Preservation of liquid semen is an important factor for breeding management in swine industry. Oxidative stress of spermatozoa during liquid preservation has a detrimental effect on sperm quality and decreases fertility. Objective of this study was to determine the effect of antioxidant, Quercetin, on capability of porcine liquid semen preservation. Freshly collected porcine semen from boars (n=3), having proven fertility was counted, diluted to
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Development
Supported by : RDA
- Aalbers JG, Radeamaker JHM, Groten HJG, Johnson LA (1983): Fecundity of boar semen stored in BTS, Kiev, Zorlesco and Modena extenders under field conditions. J Anim Sci 57 (Suppl. 1), 314-315.
Alvarez JG, Storey BT (1983): Role of superoxide dismutase in protecting rabbit spermatozoa from
$O_2$toxicity due to lipid peroxidatgion. Biol Reprod 28: 1129-36. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod28.5.1129
- Blichfeldt T, Almid T, Stavne SE (1988): Liquid preservation of boar semen in Kiev or BTS. A field comparison. 11th ICAR. Dublin 3, 231.
- Boe-Hansen GB, Morris ID, Ersboll AK, Greve T, Christensen P (2005): DNA integrity in sexed bull sperm assessed by neutral Comet assay and sperm chromatin structure assay. Theriogenology 63:1789-1802. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2004.08.004
- Boots AW, Haenen GR, Bast A (2008): Health effects of quercetin: from antioxidant to ultraceutical. Eur J Pharmacol 582(2-3):325-337.
- Brezezinska-Slevdozinska E, Slebodzinski AB, Prietas, B, Wieezorek G (1995): Antioxidan effect of viatamin E and glutathione on lipid peroxidation in boar seminal plasma. Bio Trace Elem Res 47:69-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02790102
- Cerolini S, Maldjian A, Surai P, Noble R (2000): Viability, susceptibility to peroxidation and fatty acid composition of boar semen during liquid storage. Animal Reproduction Science 58:99-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(99)00035-4
- Cerolini S, Maldjian A, Pizzi, F, Gliozzi, TM (2001): Changes in sperm quality and lipid composition during cryopreservation of boar semen. Reproduction 121:395-401. https://doi.org/10.1530/rep.0.1210395
- Chatterjee S, Gagnon C (2001): Production of reactive oxygen species by spermatozoa undergoing cooling, freezing and thawing. Mol Reprod Dev 59:451-458. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1052
- Cummings JM, Jequier AM, Kan R (1994): Molecular biology of the human male infertility: links with ageing, mitochondrial genetics and oxidative stress. Mol Reprod Dev 37:345-362. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1080370314
- Fischer C, Speth V, Fleig-Eberenz S, Neuhaus G (1997): Induction of zygotic polyembryos in wheat: Influence of auxin polar transport. Plant Cell 9 (10): 1767-80. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.9.10.1767
- Guthrie HD, Welch GR (2012): Effects of reactive oxygen species on sperm function. Theriogenology 78(8):1700-1708. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2012.05.002
- Huo LJ, Ma XH, Yang ZM (2002): Assessment of sperm viability, mitochondrial activity, capacitation and acrosome intactness in extended boar semen during longterm storage. Theriogenology 58:1349-1360. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(02)00953-6
- Johnson LA, Aalbers JG, Groote HJG (1988): Artificial insemination of swine: Fecundity of boar semen stored in Beltsville Thawing Solution (BTS), modified modena (MM), or MR-A and inseminated on one, three and four days after collection. Zuchthyg 23:49-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.1988.tb01080.x
- Kumaresan A, Ansari MR, Garg, A, Kataria, M (2006): Effect of oviductal proteins on sperm functions and lipid peroxidation levels during cryopreservation in buffaloes. Anim Reprod Sci 93(3-4):246-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2005.06.030
- Lardy HA, Phillips PH (1941): The effect of certain inhibitors and activators on sperm metabolism. J Biol. Chem. 138 195.
- O'Flaherty CM, Beorlegui NB, Beconi MT (1999): Reactive oxygen species requirements for bovine sperm capacitation and acrosome reaction. Theriogenology 52:289-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(99)00129-6
- Storey BT (1997): Biochemistry of the induction and prevention of lipoperoxidative damage in human spermatozoa 3:203-213. https://doi.org/10.1093/molehr/3.3.203
- Yeste M, Estrada E, Casas I, Bonet S, Rodriguez-Gil JE (2013): Good and bad freezability boar ejaculates differ in the integrity of nucleoprotein structure after freeze-thawing but not in ROS levels. Theriogenology. 79(6):929-939. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2013.01.008
- Yeste, M, Estrada E, Roche LG, Marin H, Rodriguez-Gil JE, Miro J (2014): Cryotolerance of stallion spermatozoa is related to ROS production and mitochondrial membrane potential rather than to the integrity of sperm nucleus. Andrology 10. 1111.