- Volume 51 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Current status of diving and institutional improvement plan of diving apparatus fishery in the southern coast of Korea
우리나라 남해안 잠수기 어업의 잠수현황과 제도적 개선방안
- Heo, Gyeom (Department of Fisheries Physics, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lim, Seok-Won (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University) ;
- Shin, Hyeon-Ok (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2015.01.29
- Accepted : 2015.02.26
- Published : 2015.02.28
A large number of divers that are engaged in a diving apparatus fishery (DAF) have been experienced a decompression sickness. This study has two purposes. One is measurement of the diving patterns and respiration rate. The other one is to research the institutional improvement plan of the DAF. In the experiments, the diving depth, the diving time, the total ascent time and the ascent rate were about 12.4 m, 22 min, 28 s and 28.1 m/min, respectively, in Tongyeong. In the case of Geoje the diving depth, the diving time, the total ascent time and the ascent rate were about 20 m, 64 min, 17 min and 1.3 m/min, respectively. In a questionnaire survey, the diving depth was 20~29 m (56.4%) in Tongyeong and Geoje, the diving time was 50~59 min (42.9%) in Tongyeong and 70~79 min (35%) in Geoje and all of the divers experienced decompression sickness. In the investigation related to a institutional issue, both of the diving apparatus fisheries had adopted the share system. And the laws and the system for the safety of the divers were not enough in Korea. This study suggests that the license and the diving time for diver of the DAF are needed and diver protection for decompression sickness is needed in the law. And the wage payments should change from full sharing to partial sharing included a regular pay to enhance the safety of the divers.
- Heo G, Shin HO and Lim SW. 2014. Legal Issues on the Diving Apparatus Fishery: The case of contract responsibility and accountability at the time of ship collision. J Fish Mar Sci Edu 26(3), 647-655. (http://dx.doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2014.26.3.647) https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2014.26.3.647
- Kang SY. 2010. A Study on the Diving Standards for Underwater Work in Hostile Environment. J Kor Soc Marine Engine. 34(5), 735-742. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2010.34.5.735
- Kang SY and Kim HS. 2011. A Study on the Necessity of Introduction of Scientific Diver Certification System in Korea. J Kor Soc Marine Engine. 35(1), 118-125. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2011.35.1.118
- Kim KJ. 2008. Diving and hyperbaric medicine. Kor J Anesthesiol, 54(5), 479-485. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2008.54.5.479
- Kim SK and Shin HW. 1996. A study on the status and development of diving activity in Korea. J Navi Port Res. 20(3), 137-162.
- Lee JG and Lim DC. 1993. A study on measures to improve the working condition of fishermen. J Fish Mar Sci Edu 5, 24-27.
- Lim SW. 2011. A study on the legal status about chief of fishing boats. J Fish Mar Sci Edu 23(4), 723-733.
- Lee TS. 2000. The encyclopedia of physical athletics. Minjung publishing company.
- MAFF. 2013. Statistics of agriculture, forestry and fisheries. Ministry of agriculture. Forestry and fisheries, 1-6.
- Ministry of oceans and fisheries. 2006. Incidence, prevalence, and prevention of diving related disease of diving fishermen and breath-hold divers in Korea. Ministry of oceans and fisheries, 1-212.
- National federation of fisheries cooperatives. 2004. Survey of fisheries management, 81-83.
- National federation of fisheries cooperatives. 2014. Survey of fisheries management, 100.
- USN. 2008. U.S. Navy diving manual. Rev.6, vol 2 (9-62, 63, 71, 72).