- Volume 51 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Visual spectral sensitivity of dark-adapted rockfish (Sebastes inermis) in LED light source
LED 광원에 대한 암순응시 볼락 (Sebastes inermis)의 시각 스펙트럼 민감도
- Heo, Min-A (Department of Fisheries Physics, Graduate School, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kang, Gyeong-Mi (KOICA-PKNU International Graduate Program of Fisheries Science) ;
- Shin, Hyeon-Ok (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2015.01.29
- Accepted : 2015.02.24
- Published : 2015.02.28
The characteristics of aquatic light fields are generally reflected in the visual systems of fishes inhabiting them. Therefore, research on light sensitivity of fish is useful to explain the correlation between the visual function and habitat, behavior and distribution of fish. Rockfish is an important species in coastal ecology and also one of the main species for culturing in Korea. To make a contribution on the maintenance of the fish resources and understanding the ecology of the rockfish, the visual spectral sensitivities of the dark-adapted rockfishes were measured in the range of visible light (405~660 nm) using a light source of light-emitting diodes (LEDs). In order to assess electrophysiological response of the fish, the ERGs (electroretinograms) of the dark-adapted rockfishes were recorded on a data logger (12 bits) and a laptop computer. Juvenile (n=5; weight:
Rockfish;ERG (Electroretinogram);LED;Visual spectral sensitivity
- Bilotta J, Saszik S and Sutherland S.E. 2001. Rod Contributions to the Electroretinogram of the Dark-Adapted Developing Zebrafish. Develop dynamics 222, 564-570. (DOI:10.1002/dvdy.1188) https://doi.org/10.1002/dvdy.1188
- Choi CY. 2013. Development of the high valued product of marine fish using an environmental-friendly LED light. Korea Maritime University.
- Dayco Industrial Research Institute. 2009. Status and prospects of LED and LED Lighting Market. Jinhan M&B, Korea, p. 11.
- Hatanaka MY and KK Iizuka. 1962. Studies on the fish community in the Zostera area-III. Efficiency of production of Sebastes inermis. Jap Fish Soc 28, 305-313. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.28.305
- Horodysky AZ, Musick JA, Latour RJ, Brill RW and Warrant EJ. 2008. Comparative visual function in five sciaenid fishes inhabiting Chesapeake Bay. J Exp Biol 211, 3601-3612. (DOI:10.1242/jeb.023358) https://doi.org/10.1242/jeb.023358
- Jang YS. 2011. Investigation of Growth Stage Related Genes in Dark-banded Rockfish Sebastes inermis. Korean J Ichthyol 23(1), 21-29.
- Jerlov NG. 1968. Optical Oceanography. Elsevier, New York, p. 4-9.
- Kim CK and Kang YJ. 1999. Feeding Ecology of Black Rockfish, Sebastes inermis. J Korean Fish Soc 32(5), 637-641.
- Kim HM. 2006. Effect of Night-lights on Intermediate Culture of Sebestes inermis in Tongyeong. Ph.D. thesis, Yosu National University, Korea.
- Kim YU and Han KH. 1993. The early life history of the rockfish, Sevastes inermis. 1. Egg development and morphology of larvae by artificial treatment in aquarium. J Korean Fish Soc 26, 458-464.
- Kim YU, Han KH and Byun SK. 1993. The early life history of the rockfish, Sebastes inermis. 2. Morphological and skeletal development of larvae and juveniles. J Korean Fish Soc 26, 465-476.
- KORDI. 1997. A study for the marine ranching program in Korea. Ecosystem management model and stocking technique. Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute, Bachelor of Science in Physical Education, 97602-00-1073-3, p. 361.
- Levine JS and MacNichol EF. 1979. Visual pigments in teleost fishes: effects of habitat, microhabitat, and behavior on visual system evolution. Sensory Processes 3, 95-131.
- Lythgoe, J. N. 1979. The Ecology of Vision. Clarendon press, Oxford, New York.
- Matsumoto T, Ihara H, Ishida Y, Okada T, Ishibashi Y, Kurata M and Sawada Y. 2009. Electroretinographic Analysis of Night Vision in Juvenile Pacific Bluefin Tuna (Thunnus orientalis). Biol 217, 142-150.
- Matsumoto T, Ihara H, Ishida Y, Yamamoto SK, Murata O and Ishibashi Y. 2010. Spectral sensitivity of juvenile chub mackerel (scomber japonicus) in visible and ultraviolet light. Fish Physiol Biochem 36, 63-70. (DOI:10.1007/s10695-008-9289-z) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10695-008-9289-z
- Matsumoto T, Okada T, Sawada Y and Ishibashi Y. 2012. Visual spectral sensitivity of photopic juvenile Pacific bluefin tuna (Thunnus orientalis). Fish Physiol Biochem 38, 911-917. (DOI:10.1007/s10695-011-9574-0) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10695-011-9574-0
- McFarland WN. 1986. Light in the sea: correlations with behaviors of fishes and invertebrates. Am Zool 26(2), 389-401. https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/26.2.389
- McFarland WN. 1991. Light in the sea: the optical world of elasmobranchs. J Exp Zool 256, 3-12.
- MOMAF. 2004. Studies on the Development of Marine Ranching Program in Tonyeong, Korea. Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Seoul, Korea, 1-1125.
- MOMAF. 2006. Studies on the Development of Jeonnam Archipelago Marine Ranching Program in Korea. Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Seoul, Korea, 1-640.
- Munz FW and McFarland WN. 1977. Evolutionary adaptations of fishes to the photic environment. In handbook of sensory physiology 7(5), 193-274.
- NFRDI. 2004. Commercial Fishes of the Coastal & Offshore Waters in Korea. National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, 1-333.
- NFRDI. 2007. Effects of Released Fisheries Resources in 2007. National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, 1-256.
- Oh SY and Noh CH. 2006. Effects of Water Temperature and Photoperiod on the Oxygen Consumption Rate of Juvenile Dark-banded Rockfish, Sebastes inermis. J Aquacul 19(3), 210-215.
- Park IS, Park HJ, Gil HW, and Goo B. 2012. Early Growth and Characteristic of Histological Eye Development in Post Parturition Dark banded Rockfish, Sebastes inermis. Dev Reprod 16(2), 101-106.
- Choi HJ, Hong KP, Oh SY, Noh CH, Park YJ, Myoung JG, and Kim JM, Hur JW, Zhang CI, Park IS. 2005. Growth Characteristics of Cultured Dark-Banded Rockfish, Sebastes inermis Cuvier. J Aquacul 18(3), 147-153.
- Powers MK, Bassi CJ, Rone LA and Raymond PA. 1988. Visual detection by the rod system in goldfish of different sizes. Vis Res 28(2), 211-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/0042-6989(88)90148-4
- Shinomiya A and Ezaki O. 1991. Mating habits of the rockfish Sebastes inermis. Environ Bio Fish 30, 15-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02296872