- Volume 51 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Estimating the biomass of anchovy species off the coast of Tongyeong and Yeosu in South Korea in the spring and winter of 2013 and 2014
2013년-2014년 춘계와 동계에 대한 통영과 여수 연안역의 멸치 어군의 현존량 추정
- Kang, Myounghee (Department of Maritime Police and Production System/Institute of Marine Industry, The institute of Maritime Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Seo, Young Il (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- Oh, Taeg Yun (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- Lee, Kyounghoon (School of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Jang, Choong-Sik (Department of Maritime Police and Production System/Institute of Marine Industry, The institute of Maritime Industry, Gyeongsang National University)
- 강명희 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과/해양산업연구소) ;
- 서영일 (국립수산과학원 자원관리과) ;
- 오택윤 (국립수산과학원 자원관리과) ;
- 이경훈 (전남대학교 해양기술학부) ;
- 장충식 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과/해양산업연구소)
- Received : 2015.01.27
- Accepted : 2015.02.17
- Published : 2015.02.28
Anchovy (Engraulis japonicus) is one of the most important species in the South Sea of South Korea. In order to estimate the biomass of anchovy, acoustic surveys, concurrently with trawling, were conducted in April, July, and September of 2013 and February of 2014 off the coast of Tongyeong and Yeosu. However, anchovies were found only during spring (April) and winter (February) surveys. To display only anchovy species confirmed by trawls on empty spaced echograms, virtual echograms were created. Three target strength (TS) values of anchovy were used: TS_z = 20 log L - (20/3) log (1+z/10) - 67.6 (Zhao et al.), TS_y =20 log L - 72.9 (Yoon et al.), TS_f = 20 log L - 71.9 (Foote). For anchovy schools combined with other species e.g., hairtail, squid, and Korean pomfret, their TS values were used to calculate an average TS. As a result, the anchovy biomass in the winter survey was approximately 75,000 tons (TS_z), 90,000 tons (TS_f), 114,000 tons (TS_y), respectively. The biomass in spring was 9,000 tons (TS_z), 9,200 tons (TS_f), 10,000 tons (TS_y). The sampling variance of spring was 70% and of winter was 30%. In order to manage anchovy resource sustainably, larvae and adult anchovy should be separately surveyed, the optimal area, date, and time for acoustic survey should be investigated, and the biomass survey should be done for relatively long and regular base.
- Choo HS and Kim DS. 1998. The effect of variations in the Tsushima warm currents on the egg and larval transport of anchovy in the southern sea of Korea. J Korean Fish Soc 31, 226-244.
- Coetzee J. 2000. Use of a shoal analysis and patch estimation system (SHAPES) to characterize sardine schools. Aquat Living Resour 13, 1-10. (doi: 10.1016/S0990-7440(00)00139-X) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0990-7440(00)00139-X
- Foote KG. 1987. Fish target strength for use in echo integrator surveys. J Acoust Soc Am 82(3), 981-987. (doi: 10.1121/1.395298) https://doi.org/10.1121/1.395298
- Fujino T, Kawabata A and Kidokoro H. 2010. Echograms of aquatic organisms observed by a quantitative echosounder around JAPAN. Report of the Japan Sea Fisheries Research Institute (in Japanese), 1-221.
- Hwang DJ, Park JS and Lee YW. 2004. Estimation of fish school abundance by using an echo sounder in an artificial reef area. J Korean Fish Soc 37, 249-254.
- Hwang DJ, Shin HH and Kang DH. 2002. Studies on fish distribution characteristics using a scientific echo sounder in the Yellow Sea. J Korean Soc Fish Tech 38, 140-148. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2002.38.2.140
- Jolly GM and Hamptom I. 1990. Stratified Random Transect Design for Acoustic Surveys of Fish Stocks. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 47, 1282-1291. (doi: 10.1139/f90-147) https://doi.org/10.1139/f90-147
- Kang D, Mukai T, Iida K, Hwang D and Myoung J. 2005. The influence of tilt angle on the acoustic target strength of the Japanese common squid (Todarodes pacificus). ICES J Mar Sci 62, 779-789. (doi: 10.1016/j.icesjms.2005.02.002) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icesjms.2005.02.002
- Kang DH, Sin HC, Kim SA, Lee YH and Hwang DJ. 2003. Species identification and noise cancellation using volume backscattering strength difference of multi-frequency. J Korean Fish Soc 36, 541-548.
- Kang MH, Yoon GD, Choi YM and Kim JK. 1996. Hydroacoustic investigations on the distribution characteristics of the anchovy at the south region of East Sea. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 32(1), 16-23.
- Kim JI, Yang WS, Oh TY, Seo YI, Kim ST, Hwang DJ, Kim EH and Jeong SB. 2008. Acoustic estimates of anchovy biomass along the Tongyoung- Namhae Coast. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 41(1), 61-67. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2008.41.1.061
- Kim ZG, Choi YM, Hwang KS and Yoon GD. 1998. Study on the acoustic behavior pattern of fish school and species identification. 1. Shoal behavior pattern of anchovy (Engraulis japonicus) in Korean waters and species identification test. J Korean Soc Fish Tech 34, 52-61.
- Lee DJ and Shin HI. 2005. Construction of a Data Bank for Acoustic Target Strength with Fish Species, Length and Acoustic Frequency for Measuring Fish Size Distribution. J Kor Fish Soc 38(4), 265-275.
- Lee DJ. 2010. Fish length dependence of target strength for striped beakperch, bluefin searobin and konoshiro gizzard shad caught in the artificial reef ground of Yongho Man, Busan. J Korean Soc Fish Tech 46, 239-247. (doi:10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.3.239) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.3.239
- Lee JB, Oh TY, Yeon IJ, Kim BY, Shin HO, Hwang BK, Lee KH and Lee YW. 2012. Estimation of demersal fish abundance using hydroacoustic and catch data in the marine ranching area (MRA) of Jeju. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 48, 128-136. (doi:10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.2.128) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.2.128
- Mukai T, Sano N, Iida K and Sasaki S. 1994. Relation between dorsal aspect target strength of fish caught in the East China Sea and their swimbladder. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 60, 215-222. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.60.215
- Nizinski MS and Munroe TA. 1988. FAO species catalogue, vol 2: Clupeoid fishes of the world, engraulidae, anchovies. FAO Fishs Synop 125, 764-780.
- Oh TY, Kim JI, Seo YI, Lee SK, Hwang DJ, Kim EH, Yoon EA and Jeong SB. 2009. Comparison of geostatistic and acoustic estimates of anchovy biomass around the tongyeong inshore area. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 42(3), 290-296. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2009.42.3.290
- Whitehead PJP, Nelson GJ and Wongratana T. 1988. FAO Fish Synop 127, Vol 7. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of the herrings, sardines, pilchards, sprats, shads, anchovies and wolf-herrings. Part 2 - Engraulididae. Fish Synop 127, 305-579.
- Yoon GD, Kim ZG and Choi YM. 1996. Acoustic target strength of the pelagic fish in the Southern waters of Korea. J Korean Fish Soc 29, 107-114.
- Zhao X, Wang Y and Dai F. 2008. Depth-dependent target strength of anchovy (Engraulis japonicus) measured in situ. ICES J Mar Sci 65, 882-888. (doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fsn055) https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsn055
- Zhao X. 2006. In situ target-strength measurement of young hairtail (Trichiurus haumela) in the Yellow Sea. ICES J Mar Sci 63, 46-51. (doi: 10.1016/j.icesjms.2005.07.010) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icesjms.2005.07.010
- A study on noise removal technique for acoustic data from a fishing boat vol.51, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.340
- Comparison of the Distribution of Demersal Fish Biomass Determined by Bottom Trawl and Hydroacoustic Surveys in the Northern East China Sea in Winter, 2014 vol.48, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0960
- Efficient eliminating methods of noises imbedded acoustic signals vol.51, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.432
- First Trial of the State of the Art Acoustic Systems Mounted on the R/V Tamgu 21 vol.49, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0509
- Study on the spatial distribution and aggregation characteristics of fisheries resources in the East Sea, West Sea and South Sea of the South Korea in spring and autumn using a hydroacoustic method vol.54, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFOT.2018.54.2.146