- Volume 51 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Occurrence of skipjack tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis) larvae in Korean waters
가다랑어 (Katsuwonus pelamis) 자어의 국내 출현
- Received : 2015.01.14
- Accepted : 2015.02.16
- Published : 2015.02.28
Three specimens of larvae (5.2~7.8 mm in standard length (SL)), of the family Scombridae, were collected from the southeastern waters off Jeju Island in August, 2014. These specimens were identified to Katsuwonus pelamis have melanophores distributed on the 1st dorsal-fin spines and post ventral margin on caudal peduncle. An analysis of the cytochrome oxidase submit I (COI) sequences (652 base pairs) of mitochondrial DNA showed that our specimens must be K. pelamis, because their sequences were concordant with those of the adult K. pelamis (genetic distance= 0.000~0.002), followed by Auxis rochei (genetic distance= 0.061~0.063) and Euthynnus affinis (genetic distance= 0.077~0.079). During the larval stage, K. pelamis differed from Thunnus spp. species in melanophores distribution period of 1st dorsal-fin spines, lower jaws and ventral margin on caudal peduncle. In conclusion, occurrence of K. pelamis larvae means Korean waters are potential spawning ground of K. pelamis.
Skipjack tuna;Katsuwonus pelamis;Morphological identification;Molecular identification;Neighbor-Joining tree;Spawning ground
- An DH, Moon DY, Koh JR, Cho KD and Park YC. 2003. Changes in availability of tuna species due to ENSO events in the Pacific ocean. J Kor Fish Soc 36(4), 430-436.
- Collette BB and Nauen CE. 1983. Scombrids of the worlds. FAO, Rome (Italy).
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2013. Yearbook of fishery and aquaculture statistics 2011, 1-76.
- Hall TA. 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41, 95-98.
- Ji HS, Yoo JT, Ryu JH and Kim JK. 2011. Molecular identification and morphological development of Auxis (Scombridae) larvae. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 44(6), 677-683. (DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0325)
- Jones S. 1959. Notes on eggs, larvae and juveniles of fishes from Indian waters. III. Katsuwonus pelamis (Linnaeus) and IV. Neothunnus macropterus (Temminck and Schlegel). Indian J Fisheries 1959, 360-373.
- Kendall AW, Ahlstrom EH and Moser HG. 1984. Early life history stages of fishes and their characters. In: Ontogeny and Systematics of Fishes. Moser HG and Richards WJ, eds. Allen Press INC, Lawrence, USA, 11-22.
- Kim EJ. 2005. Climate-induced variation in the distribution, catch and biology of skipjack tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis) in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean. MS thesis, Pukyong National University, 1-43.
- Kimura M. 1980. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rates of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences. J Mol Evol 16, 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01731581
- Ku J. 2015. Age and growth of the skipjack tuan, Katuwonus pelamis (Scombridae, Perciformes) in the western and central Pacific Ocean. MS thesis, Pukyong National University, 1-41.
- Lee SI, Kim ZG, Sohn HS, Yoo JT, Kim MJ, Lee DW, Kim DN and Moon DY. 2011. Pilot research on species composition of Korean purse seine catch at cannery. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 47(4), 390-402. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.4.390) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.4.390
- Matsumoto WM, Ahlstrom EH, Jones S, Klawe WL, Richards WJ and Ueyanagi S. 1972. On the clarification of larval tuna identification particularly in the genus Thunnus. Fish Bull 70, 1-10.
- Matsumoto WM, Skillman RA and Dizon AE. 1984. Synopsis of biological data on skipjack tuna, Katsuwonus pelamis. US Nat Mar Fish Serv, NOAA Tech Rep NMFS Circ 451, 1-92.
- Moon DY, Yang WS, Kim SS, Koh JR and Kim EJ. 2005. Characteristics of the Korean tuna purse fishery in the western and central Pacific Ocean. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 41(4), 263-270. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.4.263
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute), 2004. Commercial fishes of the coastal and offshore waters in Korea. Han-Geul Publ Co Ltd, 1-333.
- Okiyama M and Ueyanagi S. 1978. Interrelationships of scombroid fishes: An aspect from larval morphology. Bull Far Fish Res Lap 16, 103-113.
- Okiyama M. 1988. An atlas of the early stage fishes in Japan. Tokai University Press Tokyo, Japan, 608-624.
- Paine MA, McDowell JR and Graves JE. 2008. Specific identification using COI sequence analysis of Scombrid larvae collected off the Kona coast of Hawaii Island. Ichthyol Res 55, 7-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-007-0003-4
- Richards WJ. 2006. Scombridae. In: Early stages of Atlantic fishes an identification guide for the western central North Atlantic-II. Richards W.J, ed. Taylor and Francis USA, 2187-2227.
- Robertson MD, Ovenden JR and Barker SC. 2007. Identification of small juvenile scombrids from northwest tropical Australia using mitochondrial DNA cytochrome b sequences. Ichthyol Res 54, 246-252. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-007-0397-z
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M and Kumara S. 2011. MEGA5: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol Bio Evol 28, 2731-2739. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093.molbev/msr121) https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121
- Thompson JD, Higgins DG and Gibson TJ. 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucl Acids Res 22, 4673-4680. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673) https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673
- Ueyanagi S. 1969. Observations on the distribution of tuna larvae in the Indo-Pacific Ocean with emphasis on the delineation of the spawning areas of albacore, Thunnus alalunga. Bull Far Seas Fish Res Lab 2, 177-256.
- WCPFC (Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission). 2014. Summary report of 10th regular session of the cientific Committee of Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission. ISBN 978-982-9103-31-4, 1-194.
- Yoo JT, Kim ZG, Kim JK and Ryu JH. 2012. Occurrence of a Thunnus alalunga Juvenile from Korea. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 45, 180-182.(DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2012.0180)
- Yoon SC, Choi KH, Jeong YK, Lee DW and Ryu JH. 2013. Occurrence of longtail tuna (Thunnus tonggol) juvenile in Korean waters. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 49, 500-504. (DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2013.47.4.500) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.4.500
Supported by : 국립수산과학원