- Volume 51 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Structural analysis of a Korean-designed cruiser-class sailing yacht
- Bae, Dong-Myung (Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Systems Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Cao, Bo (Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Systems Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Jun (Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Systems Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2015.01.01
- Accepted : 2015.02.10
- Published : 2015.02.28
A Korean-designed cruiser class sailing yacht, based on the form of traditional yachts, has been developed. In this paper, structural design procedures for the yacht are studied. The scantling of structural members and loads is carried out based on the guidelines suggested by Australian Standard 4132-1993, the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Patran/Nastran finite element analysis is performed on models of the trial sailing boat, and from these results, the structural strength of the ship's hull is verified.
- Kim DJ, Park GO, Park JH, Kim YC and Shin SM. 2006. Development of Cruiser/Racer Version Sailing Boat Based on the Traditional Fishing Boat. J SNAK 43, 504-511. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2006.43.4.504
- Larsson L and Eliasson RE. 2000. Principles of Yacht Design. 2nd Ed, International Marine of McGrow-Hill Camden Marine.
- ISO/DIS 12215-5.3 and 12215-9. 2004. Hull Construction Scantling Part5 and Small Craft Hull Construction Scantling Part 9.
- American Bureau of Shipping. 1994. Guide for Building and Classing Offshore Racing Yachts. ABS, New York.
- Ojeda RB, Prusty G and Salas M. 2004. Finite Element Investigation on the Static Response of a Composite Catamaran under Slamming Loads. Ocean Eng 31, 901-929. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2003.08.008
- Shin JG, Lee JY, Lee JH, Van SH, Lee SH and Yoo JH. 2006. A Study on the Structural Design and Structural Analysis for Small Yacht. J SNAK 43, 75-86. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2006.43.1.075