- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Influencing factors on oral health related self-efficacy and social support in high school students
고등학생의 구강건강관련 자기 효능감과 사회적 지지에 영향을 미치는 요인
Kim, Young-Im;Yu, Sang-Hui
- Received : 2014.11.19
- Accepted : 2015.02.11
- Published : 2015.02.28
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to investigate the influencing factors on oral health related self-efficacy and social support in high school students. Methods: The subjects were 750 high school students in Jeonbuk by convenience sampling. A self-reported questionnaire was completed from April 3 to June 4, 2013. Except incomplete answers, 589 data were analyzed using SPSS 18.0 program for t-test, ANOVA, post hoc Scheffe test, and multiple regression analysis. The questionnaire consisted 6 questions of general characteristics of the subjects, 8 questions of oral health related self-efficacy, and 8 questions of oral health related social support. The instrument for self-efficacy was developed by Sherer and Maddux and measured by Likert 4 scale. Interpersonal Support Evaluation List(ISEL) was developed by Cohen and Hoberman and revised by Suh as oral health related social support in high school students, and measured by Liker 4 scale. Cronbach's alpha in self-efficacy was 0.768 and that in social support was 0.772. Results: The good oral health behavior in the high school students was closely related ro self-efficacy and social support. Higher self-efficacy and social support could make the students practice good oral behavior. Conclusions: Higher self-efficacy and social support can influence on the good oral health behavior in high school students. So it is very important to provide the continuous oral health education that can enhance self-efficacy and health promotion.
high school student;self-efficacy;social support;oral health
- Choi EJ, Song YS. The association between oral health behavior intention and self-efficacy of dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(3): 485-93. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.485
- Cho YS. Hwang YJ, Bae HS, Kim SY. Effect of oral health education practice and self-efficacy of teacher on oral health attitude. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009; 9(1): 99-108.
- Conn VS. Older adults and exercise: path analysis of self-efficacy related constructs. Nurs Res 1998; 47(3): 180-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-199805000-00009
- Lee GJ. Factors affecting activities for oral health promotion[Doctoral dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Daegu Haany, 2011.
- Goo YM, Kim YH, Kim IS, Kim HJ, Park IS, et al. Oral health education. 2nd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2008: 17.
- Petersen PE, Jiang H, Peng B, Tai BJ, Bian Z. Oral and general health behaviors among chinese urban adolescents. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2008; 36(1): 76-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2007.00375.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2007.00375.x
- Nam KH, Park JH. A study on the relationship of empowerment with job satisfaction and organizational commitment perceived by nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2002; 8(1): 137-50.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: social foundations of thought and action: a social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs NJ: Prentice-Hall Inc; 1986.
- Lee YJ. The effects on the leisure activity types, self-esteem and aocial aupport types of psychosocial well-being for the elders. J Lesiure studies 2005; 3(1): 21-44.
- Suh YO. Health promoting lifestyle, hardiness and gender role characteristics in middle-aged women. Korean J Women Health Nurs 1996; 2(1): 119-34.
- Yarcheski A, Mahon NE. A causal model of positive health practices: the relationship between approach and replication. Nurs Res 1989; 38(2): 88-93.
- Lee HS. The demand and actual condition of oral health education for dental hygienists. J Dent Hygiene Sci 2006:12(2): 95-104.
- Sherer M, Maddux JE. The self-efficacy scale: Construction and validation. Psychol Rep 1982; 51(2): 663-71. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1918.104.22.1683
- Cohen S, Hoberman HM. Positive events and social supports as buffers of life change stress. J Appl Soc Psychol 1983; 13(2): 99-125. http://dx.doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1922.214.171.1243. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1993
- Suh MJ. A study on factors influencing the state of sdaptation of the hemiplegic patients. Korean Acad Nurs 1990; 20(1): 88-117.
- Gerald Caplan. Support systems and community mental health: lectures on concept development. New York: Behavioral Publications; 1974.
- Lee WY, Yang Jk. A study the parent's knowledge and attitudes concerning the dental health of their children. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 1975; 2(1): 57-66.
- Jung YH. Relationship between children's dental caries and mother's dental health care in elementary school[Master's thesis]. Cheongju: Univ. of Korea national, 1995.
- Lusk SL, Ronis DL, Hogan MM. Test of the health promotion model as a causal model of construction workers' use of hearing protection. Res Nurs Health 1997; 20(3): 183-94. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-240X(199706)20:3<183::AID-NUR2>3.0.CO;2-E
- Choi J, Kim MY. Factors influencing health risk behavior in high school students. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs 2009; 15(2): 182-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2009.15.2.182. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2009.15.2.182
- Broadbent JM, Thomson WM, Poulton R. Oral health beliefs adolescence and oral health in young adulthood. J Dent Res 2006; 85(4): 339-43. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910608500411
- Kim SK, Kim YS. Public health dentistry : an oral health promotion behavior model for primary school children. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008; 32(4): 563-74.