- Volume 35 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Changes in Ultrastructure and Sensory Characteristics on Electro-magnetic and Air Blast Freezing of Beef during Frozen Storage
- Choi, Yun-Sang ;
- Ku, Su-Kyung ;
- Jeong, Ji-Yun ;
- Jeon, Ki-Hong ;
- Kim, Young-Boong
- Received : 2014.08.04
- Accepted : 2014.09.02
- Published : 2015.02.28
The ultrastructure in the beef muscle of the electro-magnetic resonance and air blast freezing during the frozen storage, and the changes in the quality characteristics after thawing were evaluated. The size of ice crystal was small and evenly formed in the initial freezing period, and it showed that the size was increased as the storage period was elapsed (p<0.05). The beef stored by the electro-magnetic resonance freezing showed the size of ice crystal with a lower rate of increase than the air blast freezing during the frozen storage. The thawing loss of beef stored by the electro-magnetic resonance freezing was significantly lower than the air blast freezing during frozen storage (p<0.05), and it showed that the thawing loss of the round was higher than the loin. Water holding capacity decreased as the storage period became longer while the electro-magnetic resonance freezing was higher than the air blast on 8 month (p<0.05). As a result of sensory evaluation, the beef stored by the electro-magnetic resonance freezing did not show the difference until 4 months, and it showed higher acceptability in comparison with the beef stored by the air blast freezing. Thus, it is considered that the freezing method has an effect on the change in the ultrastructure and quality characteristics of the beef.
electro-magnetic;freezing;ultrastructure;thawing loss;sensory characteristics
- Petzold, G. and Aguilera, J. M. (2009) Ice morphology: Fundamentals and technological applications in foods. Food Biophysics 4, 378-396. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11483-009-9136-5
- Miller, W. O., Saffle, R. L., and Zirkle, S. B. (1962) Factors which influence the water-holding capacity of various types of meat. J. Food Technol. 16, 72-77.
- Norton, T., Delgado, A. E., Hogan, E., Grace, T., and Sin, D. W. (2009) Simulation of high pressure freezing process by enthalpy methods. J. Food Eng. 91, 260-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2008.08.031
- Oh, K. S., Cho, S. Y., Cha, Y. J., and Lee, E. H. (1984) Processing conditions and quality stability of sardine steak during frozen storage. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 16, 133-138.
- Otero, L., Martino, M., Zaritzky, N., Solas, M., and Sanz, P. D. (2000) Preservation of ultrastructure in peach and mango during high-pressure-shift freezing. J. Food Sci. 65, 466-470. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb16029.x
- Park, H. S. (1991) Changes in quality of fabricated crab leg meat during cold and frozen storage. Ph. M. thesis, Kyungsung Univ., Busan, Korea.
- Pearson, A. M. and Miller, J. I. (1950) The influence of rate of freezing and length of freezing storage upon the quality of beef of known origin. J. Anim. Sci. 9, 13-16. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1950.9113
- Reid, D. S. (1997) Overview on physical/chemical aspects of freezing. In: Quality in frozen food. M.C. Erickson, and C.Y. Hung (eds.). Chapman and Hall, New York, pp.10-28.
- SAS (2002) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 9.0, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Skelly, G. C., Hardlin, D. L., and Bonnette, T. E. (1973) Pork acceptability and its relationship to carcass quality. J. Anim. Sci. 36, 488-492. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1973.363488x
- Kalichevsky, M. T., Knorr, D., and Lillford, P. J. (1995) Potential food applications of high-pressure effects on ice-water transitions. Trends in Food Sci. Technol. 6, 253-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(00)89109-8
- Kidmose, U. and Martens, H. J. (1999) Canges in texture, ultrastructure and nutritional quality of carrot slices during blanching and freezing. J. Sci. Food Agri. 79, 1747-1753. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199909)79:12<1747::AID-JSFA429>3.0.CO;2-B
- Kim, N. K. and Hung, Y. C. (1994) Freeze-cracking in foods as affected by physical properties. J. Food Sci. 59, 669-674. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1994.tb05590.x
- Kristensen, L. and Purslow, P. P. (2001) The effect of ageing on the water-holding capacity of pork: Role of cytoskeletal proteins. Meat Sci. 58, 17-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00125-X
- Martino, M. N., Otero, L., Sanz, P. D., and Zaritzky, N. E. (1998) Size and location of ice crystals in pork frozen by high-pressure-assisted freezing as compared to classical methods. Meat Sci. 50, 303-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00038-2
- Lakshmisha, I. P., Ravishankar, C. N., Ninan, G., Mohan, Co O., and Gopal, T. K. S. (2008) Effect of freezing time on the quality of Indian mackerel curing frozen storage. J. Food Sci. 73, S345-S353. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00876.x
- Lawless, H. T. and Heymann, H. (1999) Sensory evaluation of food: principles and practices. New York: Chapman & Hall, An Aspen Publication.
- Law, H. M., Yang, S. P., Mullis, A. M., and Fielder, M. M. (1967) Effect of storage and cooking on qualities of loin and top-round steaks. J. Food Sci. 32, 637-641. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1967.tb00853.x
- Miller, A. J., Ackerman, S. A., and Palumbo, S. A. (1980) Effects of frozen storage on functionality of meat for processing. J. Food Sci. 45, 1466-1471. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1980.tb07541.x
- Chassagne-Berces, S., Poirier, C., Devaux, M., and Fonseca, F. (2009) Changes in texture, cellular structure and cell wall composition in apple tissue as a result of freezing. Food Res. Int. 42, 788-797. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2009.03.001
- Choe, B. K. (1980) Studies on the quality changes of chicken muscle during cold storage. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 22, 516-527.
- Chung, K. Y., Choe, B. K., and Hwang, C. S. (1981) The experimental study I. lipid changes of defrozen chicken muscle during cold storage. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 23, 553-572.
- Farouk, M. M. and Swan, J. E. (1998) Effect of rigor temperature and frozen storage on functional properties of hotboned manufacturing beef. Meat Sci. 49, 223-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00118-6
- Fennema, O. R., Powrie, W. D., and Marth, E. H. (1973) Nature of the freezing process. In: Low temperature preservation of foods and living matter. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 151-222.
- Forrest, T. C., Aberle, E. B., Hedrick, H. B., Judge, M. D., and Merkel, R. A. (1975) Principles of meat science. W. H. Freeman and Company, USA. pp. 174-417.
- Gong, Y. S. and Moon, Y. H. (1987) Changes in the physicochemical properties of spent-hen meat during cold and frozen storage. J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. 16, 55-61.
- Grau, R., Hamm, R., and Braumann, A. (1953) Uber das wasserbindungsvermogen des toten saugetier muskel biochem. Nahrung 2, 325-326.
- Iwasaka, M., Onishi, M., Kurita, S., and Owada, N. (2011) Effects of pulsed magnetic fields on the light scattering property of the freezing process of aqueous solutions. J. Appl. Phys. 109, 320-323.
- Jeong, J. W., Lee, H. J., and Park, N. H. (1999) Changes in quality during frozen storage of meat with thermal equalized freezing. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 31, 688-696.
- Alizadeh, E., Chapleau, N., De Lamballerie, M., and Le-Bail, A. (2007) Effect of differentfreezing process on the ultrastructure of atlantic salmon (Salmon salar) fillets. Innov. Food Sci. Emerg. 8, 493-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2006.12.003
- Bae, K. H. (1987) A study on the storage method of frozen pork. Ph. M. thesis. Konkuk Univ., Seoul, Korea.
- Bello, R. A., Luft, J. H., and Pigott, G. M. (1982) Ultrastructural study of skeletal fish muscle after freezing at different rates. J. Food Sci. 47, 1389-1394. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb04945.x
- Bergara-Almeida, S. and da Silva, M. A. A. P. (2002) Hedonic scale with reference: Performance in obtaining predictive models. Food Qual. Prefer. 13, 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(01)00057-X
- Berry, B. W. (1990) Changes in quality of all-beef and soyextended patties as influenced by freezing rate, frozen storage temperature, and storage time. J. Food Sci. 55, 893-897. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1990.tb01559.x
- Bomben, J. L., King, C. J., and Hayes, T. L. (1983) Cold-stage scanning electron microscope measurement of ice morphology in apple tissue as a function of freezing rate. Cryobiology 20, 574-586. https://doi.org/10.1016/0011-2240(83)90046-9
- Brennan, J. G., Butters, J. R., Cowell, N. D., and Lilly, A. E. V. (1990) Food Engineering Operations (3rd ed.). Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 15- 532.
- Effects of Magnetic Fields on Freezing: Application to Biological Products vol.15, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12202
- Effects of Weak Oscillating Magnetic Fields on the Freezing of Pork Loin vol.10, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-017-1931-2
- The Effects of Applying Oscillating Magnetic Fields During the Freezing of Apple and Potato 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-017-1983-3
- Review on the control of ice nucleation by ultrasound waves, electric and magnetic fields vol.195, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2016.10.001
- Electromagnetic freezing: Effects of weak oscillating magnetic fields on crab sticks vol.200, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2016.12.018
- An Overview on Magnetic Field and Electric Field Interactions with Ice Crystallisation; Application in the Case of Frozen Food vol.7, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/cryst7100299
- L.) vol.2018, pp.1745-4557, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4691542
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs