- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on Improvement of Valuable Metals Leaching and Distribution Characteristics on Waste PCBs(Printed Circuit Boards) by Using Pulverization Process
폐 PCBs의 미분쇄 공정 적용에 따른 유가금속 분포 특성 및 금속 침출 향상에 관한 연구
- Han, Young-Rip (Department of Environmental Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Choi, Young-Ik (Department of Environmental Engineering, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2015.01.02
- Accepted : 2015.02.13
- Published : 2015.02.27
The main objective of this study is to recovery valuable metals with metal particle size distributions in waste cell phone PCBs(Printed Circuit Boards) by means of pulverization and nitric acid process. The particle size classifier also was evaluated by specific metal contents. The PCBs were pulverized by a fine pulverizer. The particle sizes were classified by 5 different sizes which were PcS1(0.2 mm below), PcS2(0.20~0.51 mm), PcS3(0.51~1.09 mm), PcS4(1.09~2.00 mm) and PcS5(2.00 mm above). Non-magnetic metals in the grinding particles were separated by a hand magnetic. And then, Cu, Co and Ni were separated by 3M nitric acid. Particle diameter of PCBs were 0.388~0.402 mm after the fine pulverizer. The sorting coefficient were 0.403~0.481. The highest metal content in PcS1. And the bigger particle diameter, the lower the valuable metals exist. The recovery rate of the valuable metals increases in smaller particle diameter with same leaching conditions. For further work, it could improve to recovery of the valuable metals effectively by means of individual treatment, multistage leaching and different leaching solvents.
Supported by : 동아대학교
- Eswaraiaha, C., Kavithab, T., Vidyasagarb, S. Narayananb, S. S., 2008, Classification of metals and plastics from printed circuit boards (PCB) using air classifier, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 47(4), 565-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2006.11.010
- Goosey, M., Kellner, R., 2003, Recycling technologies for the treatment of end of life printed circuit boards (PCBs), Circuit World, 29(3), 33-37. https://doi.org/10.1108/03056120310460801
- Hischier, R., Wager, P., Gauglhofer, J., 2005, Does WEEE recycling make sense from an environmental perspective?: The environmental impacts of the Swiss take-back and recycling systems for waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE), Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 25(5), 525-539. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2005.04.003
- Jeong, J. K., Lee, J. C., Kim, M. S., Kim, S. K., Shin S. M., 2005, Leaching for Recovery of Valuable Metals from Waste Printer PCBs, Applied Chemistry, 9(2), 269-272.
- Kim, W. T., Choi, D. Y., Kin, S. B., 2010, Effect of Dry Grinding of Laterite on the Extraction of Nickel and Cobalt, Journal of Miner. Soc. Korea, 23(3), 227-234.
- KPCA, 2014, http://www.kpca.or.kr/kr/data/briefing_03.php.
- Lee, J. C., Jeong, J. K., Kim, J. S., 2012, Separation of Non-Metallic Components in Waste Printed Circuit Boards (WPCBs) using Organic Solvent and Potassium Phosphate Solution, Applied Chemistry for Engineering, 23(4), 367-371.
- Manmath, N. P., Larry, W. L., 1994, Estimation of Single-Phase Permeability from Parameters of Particle-Size Distribution, AAPG bulletin, 78(7), 1028-1039.
- Mecucci, A., Scott, K, 2002, Leaching and electrochemical recovery of copper, lead and tin from scrap printed circuit boards, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 77(4), 449-457. https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.575
- Ministry of environment, 2010, Execution plan of recycling measures of waste metal resources, 4-8.
- Ongondo, F. O., Williams, I. D., Cherrett, T. J., 2011, How are WEEE doing? A global review of the management of electrical and electronic wastes, Waste Management, 31(4), 714-730. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2010.10.023
- Rogers, J. J. W., Head W. B., 1961, Relationships Between Porosity, Median Size, and Sorting Coefficients of Synthetic Sands, Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 31(3), 467-470.
- Veit, H. M., Diehl, T. R., Salami, A. P., Rodrigues J. S., Bernardes A. M., Tenơrio J. A. S., 2005, Utilization of magnetic and electrostatic separation in the recycling of printed circuit boards scrap, Waste Management, 25, 67-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2004.09.009
- Veit, H. M., Pereira, C. C., Bernardes, A. M., 2002, Using Mechanical Processing in Recycling Printed Wiring Boards, JOM, 54(6), 45-47. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02701850
- WECC, 2011, WECC Global PCB Production Report For 2010, 1-12.
- Zhang, S,, Forssberg, E., 1997, Mechanical separation-oriented characterization of electronic scrap, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 21(4), 247-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-3449(97)00039-6
- Paik, E. H.,, Kim, W. J., Lee, K. W., Yun, J. Y., Lee, J. C., Han, J. H., 2013, Metal recovery technology by using slag composition control in printed circuit board, Trends in Metals & Materials Engineering, 20(3), 14-27.