- Volume 24 Issue 2
The Youngsan Lake was constructed to supply agricultural water to the extensive rice fields in the basin of the lake in 1981. Hypoxia has often developed in the bottom water of the lake during the warm season although the water depth is relatively shallow (< 16 m). We investigated the spatial and temporal variations of dissolved oxygen (DO) and physical properties such as water temperature, salinity and turbidity to elucidate the effects of change in physical properties on DO dynamics in the lake. Vertical profiles of DO, temperature, salinity, and water density were also explored to verify the development of stratification in relation to DO variation in the water column. Hypoxia (DO <
Dissolved oxygen (DO);Hypoxia;Temperature;Salinity;Stratification;Youngsan Lake
- ADC (Agricutural Development Corporation), 1984, A report on the sea dike construction for 2nd development and reclamation for agricultural use, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
- Ahrnsbrak, W.F., Wing, M.R., 1998, Wind-induced hypolimnion exchange in Lake Ontario's Kingston Basin: Potential effects on oxygen, J. Great Lakes Res., 24, 145-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0380-1330(98)70806-8
- An, K.-G., 2000, Dynamic changes of dissolved oxygen during summer monsoon, Korean J. Limnol., 33, 213-221.
- An, K.-G., Seo, J., Park, S.S., 2001, Influences of seasonal rainfall on physical, chemical and biological conditions near the intake tower of Taechung Reservoir, Korean J. Limnol., 34, 327-336.
- Batiuk, R.A., Breitburg, D.L., Diaz, R.J., Cronin, T.M., Secor, D.H., Thursby, G., 2009, Derivation of habitat-specific dissolved oxygen criteria for Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries, J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol., 381, 204-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2009.07.023
- Blumberg, A.F., Di Toro, D.M., 1990, Effects of climate warming on dissolved oxygen concentrations in Lake Erie, Trans. Am. Fish. Soc., 119, 210-223. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1990)119<0210:EOCWOD>2.3.CO;2
- Breitburg, D.L., Adamack, A., Rose, K.A., Kolesar, S.E., Decker, B., Purcell, J.E., Keister, J.E., Cowan, J.H., 2003, The pattern and influence of low dissolved oxygen in the Patuxent River, a seasonally hypoxic estuary, Estuaries, 26, 280-297. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02695967
- Breitburg, D.L., Hondorp, D.W., Davias, L.A., Diaz, R.J., 2009, Hypoxia, nitrogen, and fisheries: integrating effects across local and global landscapes, Annual Review of Marine Science, 1, 329-349. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.marine.010908.163754
- Burkholder, J., Glasgow Jr., H., Hobbs, C., 1995, Fish kills linked to a toxic ambush-predator dinoflagellate: distribution and environmental conditions, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 124, 43-61. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps124043
- Choi, K., Cho, K., Kim, K., Ko, E., 2008, Distribution Characteristic of dissolved oxygen in the Yeongsan Reservoir. Proceedings of the Korean Society on Water Environment Conferences, Korea University, Seoul, 349-350.
- Conley, D., Carstensen, J., Vaquer-Sunyer, R., Duarte, C., 2009, Ecosystem thresholds with hypoxia. Pages 21-29 in J. H. Andersen and D. J. Conley, editors. Eutrophication in Coastal Ecosystems. Springer Netherlands.
- Dauer, D.M., Ranasinghe, J.A., Weisberg, S.B., 2000, Relationships between benthic community condition, water quality, sediment quality, nutrient loads, and land use patterns in Chesapeake Bay, Estuaries, 23, 80-96. https://doi.org/10.2307/1353227
- Diaz, R., Rosenberg, R., 1995, Marine benthic hypoxia: A review of its ecological effects and the behavioural responses of benthic macrofauna, Oceanography and marine biology, 33, 245-303.
- Edwards, W.J., Conroy, J.D., Culver, D.A., 2005, Hypolimnetic oxygen depletion dynamics in the central basin of Lake Erie, J. Great Lakes Res., 31, 262-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0380-1330(05)70319-1
- Ford, P.W., Boon, P.I., Lee, K., 2002, Methane and oxygen dynamics in a shallow floodplain lake: the significance of periodic stratification, Hydrobiologia, 485, 97-110. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021379532665
- Hull, V., Parrella, L., Falcucci, M., 2008, Modelling dissolved oxygen dynamics in coastal lagoons, Ecol. Model., 211, 468-480. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2007.09.023
- Jewett, E., Hines, A., Ruiz, G., 2005, Epifaunal disturbance by periodic low levels of dissolved oxygen: native vs. invasive species, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 304, 31-44. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps304031
- Lenihan, H.S., Peterson, C.H., 1998, How habitat degradation through fishery disturbance enhances impacts of hypoxia on oyster reefs, Ecol. Appl., 8, 128-140. https://doi.org/10.1890/1051-0761(1998)008[0128:HHDTFD]2.0.CO;2
- Mallin, M.A., Mciver, M.R., Ensign, S.H., Cahoon, L.B., 2004, Photosynthetic and heterotrophic impacts of nutrient loading to blackwater streams, Ecol. Appl. 14, 823-838. https://doi.org/10.1890/02-5217
- Oh, J.J., 2013, A Study of low-oxygen layer and vertical stratified formation in the Youngsan estuary, Master's thesis, Mokpo National Maritime University, Mokpo, Korea.
- Paerl, H.W., Pinckney, J.L., Fear, J.M., Peierls, B.L., 1998, Ecosystem responses to internal and watershed organic matter loading: consequences for hypoxia in the eutrophying Neuse River Estuary, North Carolina, USA, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 166, 17-25. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps166017
- Park, J.-C., Park, J.-W., Shin, J.-K., 2006, The cause of metalimnetic DO minima in Andong Reservoir, Korea, Korean J. Limnol., 39, 1-12.
- Park, Y., Cho, K., Cho, C., 2008, Seasonal variation of water temperature and dissolved oxygen in the Youngsan Reservoir, Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality, 24, 44-53.
- Patterson, J., Allanson, B., Ivey, G., 1985, A dissolved oxygen budget model for Lake Erie in summer, Freshwat. Biol., 15, 683-694. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.1985.tb00242.x
- Rao, Y.R., Hawley, N., Charlton, M.N., Schertzer, W.M., 2008, Physical processes and hypoxia in the central basin of Lake Erie, Limnol. Oceanogr., 53, 2007-2020. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2008.53.5.2007
- Roberts, J.J., Hook, T.O., Ludsin, S.A., Pothoven, S.A., Vanderploeg, H.A., Brandt, S.B., 2009, Effects of hypolimnetic hypoxia on foraging and distributions of Lake Erie yellow perch, J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol., 381, 132-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2009.07.017
- Sun, Y.-J., Cho, C., Kim, B.-C., Huh, I.-A., Yoon, J.-H., Chang, N.-I., Cha, S.-S., Cho, Y.-K., 2003, Seasonal Variability of Thermal Structure and Heat Flux in the Juam Reservoir, Korean J. Limnol., 36, 277-285.
- Sundback, K., Jonsson, B., Nilsson, P., Lindstrom, I., 1990, Impact of accumulating drifting macroalgae on a shallow-water sediment system: An experimental study., Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 58, 261-274.
- Vaquer-Sunyer, R., Duarte, C.M., 2008, Thresholds of hypoxia for marine biodiversity, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Conferences, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, 15452-15457.
- Wang, L., Justic, D., 2009, A modeling study of the physical processes affecting the development of seasonal hypoxia over the inner Louisiana-Texas shelf: Circulation and stratification, Cont. Shelf Res., 29, 1464-1476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2009.03.014
- Weiss, R.F., 1970, The solubility of nitrogen, oxygen and argon in water and seawater, Deep Sea Research and Oceanographic Abstracts, 17, 721-735. https://doi.org/10.1016/0011-7471(70)90037-9
- Whitmore, T., Brenner, M., Rood, B., Japy, K., 1991, Deoxygenation of a Florida lake during winter mixing, Limnol. Oceanogr., 36, 577-585. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1991.36.3.0577
- Yi, S., Sin, Y., Chang, N., Kim, J., Kim, H., Cho, Y., Jeong, J., 2006, Trophic state and water quality in major lakes of the Sumjin and Youngsan River systems, Korean J. Limnol., 39, 296-309.
- Laboratory Study of Phosphorus Fractionation in the Sediments of Yeongsan River vol.39, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2017.39.9.519
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국연구재단