- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Flora and Community Structure of Subtidal Zone in South Jeju, Korea
한국 제주도 남부 조하대의 해조상 및 군집구조
- Received : 2015.01.21
- Accepted : 2015.02.10
- Published : 2015.02.28
This study was carried out to examine the species composition and community structure of benthic marine algae at the subtidal zones of Daepo, Wolpyeong, Wimi and Jigwido in south Jeju, Korea from March to December 2009. Total 87 species including 14 green algae, 23 brown algae, and 50 red algae were collected and identified. Among these species, 9 species were found throughout the year. The dominant species which contributed significantly to the total biomass were Ecklonia cava, Undaria pinnatifida, Peyssonnelia capensis, Cladophora wrightiana, Sargassum serratifolium, Grateloupia angusta, Codium coactum, Plocamium cartilagineum, and Sargassum macrocarpum. The average seaweed biomass was 7,578.2 g wet weight
Biomass;Cluster analysis;Dominant species;Ecological State Group;Seaweed
- Barbour, M. G. Burk, J. H. & Pitts, W. D.(1987). Terrestrial Plant Ecology, The Benjaminn/ Cumming Pub. Co., Inc.
- Boo, S. M.(1988). Distribution theory study of Cheju sea areas algae, Journal of Cheju Studies, 5, 97-144.
- Bray, J. R. & Curtis, J. T.(1957). An ordination of the upland forest communities of southern Wisconsin, Ecological Monographs, 27, 325-349. https://doi.org/10.2307/1942268
- Cheney, D. P.(1977). R & C/P-A new and improved ratio for comparing seaweed floras, Supplement Journal of Phycology, 13, 129.
- Choi, C. G. Kwak, S. N. & Sohn, C. H.(2006). Community structure of subtidal marine algae at Uljin on the east coast of Korea, Algae, 21, 463-470. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2006.21.4.463
- Choi, H. G.(2008) Effects of thermal effluents from Wolseong nuclear power plant on macroalgal composition and community structure, Algae, 23, 151-162. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2008.23.2.151
- Feldmann, J.(1937). Recherches sur la vegetation marine de la Mediterranee. La cote des Alveres. Rev. Algol., 10, 1-339.
- Kang, J. W.(1960). The summer algal flora of Cheju Island (Quelpart Island), Bulletin of Pusan Fisheries College, 3, 17-23.
- Kim, M. S. Kim, M. Chung, M. H. Kim, J. H. & Chung, I. K.(2008). Species composition and biomass of intertidal seaweeds in Chuja Island, Algae, 23, 301-310. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2008.23.4.301
- Kim, Y. H.(1991). Marine plant resources of Cheju Island, Journal of Cheju Studies, 8, 137-156.
- Kim, Y. H. & Park, S. H.(1997). Succession pattern of intertidal benthic algal communities in Cheju Island, Algae, 12, 23-30.
- Ko, C. H. & Sung, N. G.(1983). Community structure and productivity of phytobenthos in Jukdo (Eastern coast of Korea)-1. Benthic marine algal vegetation and its environment, Korean Journal of Botany, 26, 119-130.
- Ko, Y. W. Sung, G. H. & Kim, J. H.(2008a). Estimation for seaweed biomass using regression: A methodological approach, Algae, 23, 289-294. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2008.23.4.289
- Ko, Y. W. Sung, G. H. Yi, C. H. Kim, H. H. Choi, D. H. Ko, Y. D. Lee, W. J. Koh, H. B. Oak, J. H. Chung, I. K. & Kim, J. H.(2008b). Temporal variations of seaweed biomass in Korean coast: Munseom, Jeju island, Algae, 23, 295-300. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2008.23.4.295
- Koh, C. H.(1983). Community structure and productivity of phytobenthos in Jukdo (eastern coast of Korea). II Seasonal changes of algal vegetation in relation to annual growth large brown algae, Korean Journal of Botany, 26, 181-190.
- Lambshead, P. J. D. Platt, H. M. & Shaw, K. M.(1983). The detection of differences among assemblages of marine benthic species based on an assessment of dominance and diversity, Journal Natural History, 17, 859-874. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222938300770671
- Lee, I. K. Kim, Y. H. Lee, Y. P. & Park, S. H.(1994). Qualitative and quantitative analyses of intertidal benthic algal community in Cheju island 1. Species composition and distributional patterns, Korean Journal of Phycology 9, 193-203.
- Lee, J. C.(2007). Study on the Algal Vegetation in the Subtidal Zone of Jeju Island, Master of Science, Cheju National University, 52.
- Lee, K. W.(1976). Survey of the algal flora of Jeju Island, Bulletin of Marine Biological Station Cheju University, 1, 21-42.
- Lee, K. W. & Ko, S. J.(1991). Algal flora of four Islets without inhabitants along the coast of Cheju Island, Cheju Inhabited of the Research Report, 239-269.
- Lee, K. W. Shon, C. H. & Chung, S. C.(1998). Marine algal flora and grazing effect of sea urchins in the costal waters of Cheju Island, Journal of Aquaculture, 11, 401-419.
- Lee, Y. P. & Kang, S. Y.(2002). A Catalogue of the Seaweeds in Korea. Cheju National University Press, Cheju, Korea, 662.
- Lee, Y. P. & Lee, I. K.(1976). On the algal community in the intertidal belt of Jeju island, Korean Journal of Botany, 19, 111-118.
- Lee, Y. P. & Lee, I. K.(1982). Botanical distribution studies of rock algal island resources. Seoul National University Journal, 7, 73-91.
- Littler, M. M. & Littler, D. S.(1984). Relationships between macroalgal functional form groups and substrate stability in a subtropical rocky intertidal system, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 74, 13-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0981(84)90035-2
- Oak, J. H. Keum, Y. S. Hwang, M. S. & Oh, Y. S. (2004). Subtidal algal community of Supseom and Seongsanpo in Jeju Island, Underwater Science & Technology, 5, 3-9.
- Orfanidis, S. Panayotidis, P. & Stamatis, N.(2001). Ecological evaluation of transitional and coastal and water; A marine benthic macrophytes-based model, Mediterranean Marine Science, 2, 45-65.
- Orfanidis, S. Panayotidis, P. & Stamatis, N.(2003). An insight to the ecological evaluation index (EEI), Ecological Indicators, 3, 27-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-160X(03)00008-6
- Park, Y. K. Seo, K. S. & Choi, C. K.(2006) Environmental Biology, Daehakseolim.
- Saito, Y. & Atobe, S.(1970). Phytosociological study of intertidal marine algae. 1. Usujiri Benten-Jima, Hokkaido, Bulletin of Faculty of Fisheries Hokkaido University, 21, 37-69.
- Segawa, S.(1956). Coloured Ilustrations of the Seaweeds of Japan, Hoikusha Publ. Co. Osaka.
- Simpson, E. H.(1949). Measurement of diversity. Nature, 163, 688. https://doi.org/10.1038/163688a0
- Sohn, C. H. Lee, I. K. & Kang, J. W.(1983). Benthic marine alga of Dolsan-Island in the southern coast of Korea. Structure of algal communities of subtidal zone, Bulletin of Korean Fisheries Society, 16, 379-388.
- Yoo, J. S.(2003). Structural characteristics of benthic algal community in the subtidal zone of Yeongil inner and outer bay, Algae, 18, 365-369. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2003.18.4.365
- Yoon, J. T.(1985). Flora of Marine Algae in Cheju Island, Master of Science, Cheju National University. 31.
Supported by : 해양수산부