- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study of Operating Angle Optimization of Switched Reluctance Motor with Robust Speed Controller using PSO and GA
- Prabhu, V. Vasan ;
- Rajini, V. ;
- Balaji, M. ;
- Prabhu, V.
- Received : 2014.04.11
- Accepted : 2014.09.29
- Published : 2015.03.01
This paper's focus is in reducing the torque ripple and increasing the average torque by optimizing switching angles of 8/6 switched reluctance motor while implementing a robust speed controller in the outer loop. The mathematical model of the machine is developed and it is simulated using MATLAB/Simulink. An objective function and constraints are formulated and Optimum turn-on and turn-off angles are determined using Particle swarm optimization and Genetic Algorithm techniques. The novelty of this paper lies in implementing sliding mode speed controller with optimized angles. The results from both the optimization techniques are then compared with initial angles with one of them clearly being the better option. Speed response is compared with PID controller.
Switched reluctance motor;Optimum angles;Genetic algorithm;Particle swarm optimization;Sliding mode controller;Speed control;Mathematical model;Objective function;Constraints;Boundary limits;Average torque;Torque ripple
- Owatchaiphong, S.; Fuengwarodsakul, Nisai H., “Multi-objective based optimization for switched reluctance machines using fuzzy and genetic algorithms,” Power Electronics and Drive Systems, 2009. PEDS 2009. International Conference on, vol., no., pp. 1530, 1533, 2-5 Nov. 2009.
- Balaji, M.; Kamaraj, V., “Design optimization of Switched Reluctance Machine using Particle Swarm Optimization,” Electrical Energy Systems (ICEES), 2011 1st International Conference on, vol., no., pp. 164, 169, 3-5 Jan. 2011.
- Soares, F.; Costa Branco, P.J., “Simulation of a 6/4 switched reluctance motor based on Matlab/Simulink environment,” Aerospace and Electronic Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 989, 1009, Jul 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.953252
- Arumugam, R.; Lindsay, J.F.; Krishnan, R., “Sensitivity of pole are / pole pitch ratio on switched reluctance motor performance,” Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 1988., Conference Record of the 1988 IEEE, vol., no., pp. 50, 54, vol. 1, 2-7 Oct. 1988.
- Muhammad Rafiq, Saeed-ur-Rehman, Fazal-ur-Rehman, QarabRaza Butt., “Performance Comparision of PI and SMC for speed control applications of SRM,” European Journal of Scientific Research, Vol.50 No.3 (2011), pp.363-380.
- Naayagi, R. T.; Kamaraj, V., “A Comparative Study of Shape Optimization of SRM using Genetic Algorithm and Simulated Annealing,” INDICON, 2005 Annual IEEE, vol., no., pp.596, 599, 11-13 Dec. 2005
- Omekanda, A. M., “Robust torque- and torque-perinertia optimization of a switched reluctance motor using the Taguchi methods,” Electric Machines and Drives, 2005 IEEE International Conference on, vol., no., pp. 521, 526, 15-15 May 2005.
- Mirzaeian, B.; Moallem, M.; Tahani, V.; Lucas, C., “Multiobjective optimization method based on a genetic algorithm for switched reluctance motor design,” Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 1524,1527, May 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.999126
- Mademlis, C.; Kioskeridis, I., “Performance optimazation in switched reluctance motor drives with online commutation angle control,” Energy Conversion, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 448, 457, Sept. 2003 https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.815854
- Phuangmalai, W.; Konghirun, M.; Chayopitak, N., “A design study of 4/2 switched reluctance motor using particle swarm optimization,” Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), 2012 9th International Conference on, vol., no., pp. 1,4, 16-18 May 2012.
- Zaafrane Wajdi, Kediri Jalel And Rehaoulia Habib., “Sliding Mode Current Control of Linear Switched Reluctance Motor,” International Journal of Emerging Sciences, 3(2), 130-143, June 2013.
- Sheth, N. K.; Rajagopal, K. R., “Determination of optimum switching angles for speed control of switched reluctance motor drive syatem,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol.39, no.5, pp. 3214, 3216, June 2004.
- L. Kalaivani, P. Subburaj, M. WilljuiceIruthayarajan, “Speed control of switched reluctance motor with torque ripple reduction using non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm (NSGA-II) ,” International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Volume 53, December 2013, Pages 69-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.04.005
- Nashed, M. N F, “Variable angle adjustable-high speed control with PI for SRM,” World Automation Congress (WAC), 2010, vol., no., pp.1, 6, 19-23 Sept. 2010
- Jong-yunSeo; Hyun-Rok Cha; Hyong-yeol Yang; Jung-ChulSeo; Kwang-heon Kim; Young-Cheol Lim; Do-Hyun Jang, “Speed control method for switched reluctance motor drive using self-tuning of switching angle,” Industrial Electronics, 2001. Proceedings. ISIE 2001. IEEE International Symposium on, vol. 2, no., pp. 811, 815, vol. 2, 2001.
- Xu, Y.Z.; Zhong, R.; Chen, L.; Lu, S.L., “Analytical method to optimize turn-on angle and turn-off angle for switched reluctance motor drives,” Electric Power Applications, IET, vol.6, no.9, pp.593,603, November 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2012.0157
- A.N.K. Nasir, R.M.T. Raja Ismail, M.A. Ahmad, “Performance comparision between sliding mode control and PD-PID controllers for a non linear inverted pendulum system,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol:46 2010-10-27.
- John, G.; Eastham, A.R., “Speed control of switched reluctance motor using sliding mode control strategy,” Industry Applications Conference, 1995.Thirtieth IAS Annual Meeting, IAS '95., Conference Record of the 1995 IEEE}, vol. 1, no., pp. 263,270 vol. 1, 8-12 Oct 1995.
- Moallem, M.; Ong, C.M.; Unnewehr, L.E., “Effect of rotor profiles on the torque of a switched reluctance motor,” Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 1990., Conference Record of the 1990 IEEE, vol., no., pp.247,253 vol.1, 7-12 Oct. 1990.
- Reinert, J.; Inderka, R.; Menne, M.; De Doncker, R.W., “Optimizing performance in switched reluctance drives,” Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 1998. APEC '98. Conference Proceedings 1998., Thirteenth Annual, vol. 2, no., pp. 765, 770 vol. 2, 15-19 Feb 1998.
- Gribble, J.J.; Kjaer, P.C.; Cossar, C.; Miller, T.J.E., “Optimal commutation angles for current controlled switched reluctance motors,” Power Electronics and Variable Speed Drives, 1996. Sixth International Conference on (Conf. Publ. No. 429), vol., no., pp. 87, 92, 23-25 Sept. 1996.
- Shun-Chung Wang; Wen-Han Lan, “Turn-on angle searching strategy for optimized efficiency drive of switched reluctance motors,” Industrial Electronics Society, 2004. IECON 2004. 30th Annual Conference of IEEE, vol. 2, no., pp. 1873, 1878, Vol. 2, 2-6 Nov. 2004.
- Akhter, H.E.; Sharma, V.K.; Chandra, A.; Al-Haddad, K., “Modeling simulation and performance analysis of switched reluctance motor operating with optimum value of fixed turn-on and turn-off switching angles,” Power Electronics Specialist Conference, 2003. PESC '03. 2003 IEEE 34th Annual, vol. 1, no., pp. 397,402 vol. 1, 15-19 June 2003.
- Krishnan, R.; Bedingfield, R. A., “Dynamic analysis of an SRM drive system,” Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 1991., Conference Record of the 1991 IEEE, vol., no., pp. 265, 271, vol. 1, Sept. 28 1991-Oct. 4 1991.
- Mukhtar Ahmad, High Performance AC Drives, Springer, 2010, p.129.
- TJE Miller, Electronic Control of Switched Reluctance Machines, Newnes, 2001, p. 9.
- R. Krishnan, Switched Reluctance Motor Drives, Modeling, Simulation, Analysis, Design and Applications, CRC Press, 2001.
- Balaji, M.; Vaithilingam, C.A.; Kamaraj, V., “Torque ripple minimization in switched reluctance motor drives,” Power Electronics, Machines and Drives, 2004. (PEMD 2004). Second International Conference on (Conf. Publ. No. 498), vol.1, no., pp. 104, 107 Vol. 1, 31 March-2 April 2004.
- Nasar, S.A., “D.C. -switched reluctance motor,” Electrical Engineers, Proceedings of the Institution of, vol.116, no.6, pp.1048,1049, June 1969.
- Miller, T. J E, “Optimal design of switched reluctance motors,” Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol.49, no.1, pp.15,27, Feb 2002.
- Flexible System Architecture of Stand-Alone PV Power Generation With Energy Storage Device vol.30, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2015.2429145