- Volume 10 Issue 2
High Temperature Superconducting (HTS) synchronous generators can be designed with either an air-core type or iron-core type. The air-core type has higher efficiency under rated rotating speed and load than the iron-core type because of the iron losses which may produce much heat. However, the total length of HTS wire in the air-core type is longer than the iron-core type because the generated magnetic flux density of the air-core type is low. This paper deals with designs of 10 MW air-core and iron-core HTS wind power generators for wind turbines. Fully air-core, partially iron-core, and fully iron-core HTS generators are designed, and various stator winding methods in the three HTS generators are also considered, such as short-pitch concentrated winding, full-pitch concentrated winding, short-pitch distributed winding, and full-pitch distributed winding. These HTS generators are analyzed using a 3D finite elements method program. The analysis results of the HTS generators are discussed in detail, and the results will be effectively utilized for large-scale wind power generation systems.
Direct-driven;Offshore wind power;Superconducting generator;Superconducting wire;Wind power generation
Proto Laminations Inc. [online]. Available:
- Gunar Klaus, Markus Wilke, Joachim Frauenhofer, Wolfgang Nick and Heinz-Werner Neumüller, “Design Challenges and Benefits of HTS Synchronous Machines,” Power Engineering Society General Meeting, pp. 1-8, June 2007.
SuperPower Inc. [online]. Available:
- Keisuke Yoshizawa, So Noguchi and Hajime Igarashi, “Influence of Magnetic Property of Ferromagnetic Shield on High Field Magnet Analysis,” IEEE Trans. on applied supercond., vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 2088-2091, June 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2010.2093859
- 1547-2003-IEEE Standard for Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems: IEEE SCC21, 2003, p. 13.
- Hochang Jung, Cheol-Gyun Lee, Sung-Chin Hahn and Sang-Yong Jung, “Optimal Design of a Direct-Driven PM Wind Generator Aimed at Maximum AEP using Coupled FEA and Parallel Computing GA,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp.552-558, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2008.3.4.552
- International Wind Energy Development: Offshore Report 2013: Navigant’s BTM Consult, 2012.
- Hae-Jin Sung, Gyeong-Hun Kim, Kwangmin Kim, Sung-Jun Jung, Minwon Park, In-Keun Yu, Young-Gyun Kim, Haigun Lee and A-Rong Kim, “Practical Design of a 10 MW Superconducting Wind Power Generator Considering Weight Issue,” IEEE Trans. on applied supercond., vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 5201805-5201805, June 2012.
- Taiying Zheng, Seung-Tae Cha, Yeon-Hee Kim, Peter A. Crossley, Sang Ho Lee and Yong Cheol Kang, “Design and Evaluation of a Protection Relay for a Wind Generator Based on the Positive- and Negative-Sequence Fault Components,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1029-1039, 2013.
- A. Hughes and T. J. E. Miller, “Analysis of fields and inductances in air-cored and iron-cored synchronous machines,” Electrical Engineers, vol. 124, pp. 124: 121-126, Feb. 1977.
- T. J. E. Miller and A. Hughes, “Comparative design and performance analysis of air-cored and iron-cored synchronous machines,” Electrical Engineers, vol. 124, pp. 127-132, Feb. 1977.
- Design of a 12-MW HTS Wind Power Generator Including a Flux Pump Exciter vol.26, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2016.2539220
- Development of a brushless HTS exciter for a 10 kW HTS synchronous generator vol.29, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/29/2/024008
- Comparison of 2D simulation models to estimate the critical current of a coated superconducting coil vol.32, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6668/aae960