- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Self-Care Behavior and Depression in Patients with Heart Failure
심부전 환자의 우울 수준에 따른 자가간호행위
- Lee, Haejung (School of Nursing, Pusan National University) ;
- Jang, Jun Hee (School of Nursing, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Sung Hwa (School of Nursing, Pusan National University) ;
- Chun, Kook Jin (Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital) ;
- Kim, Jong Hyun (Department of Internal Medicine, BHS Hanseo Hospital)
- Received : 2014.08.14
- Accepted : 2015.02.21
- Published : 2015.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine levels of self-care behavior according to levels of depression among patients with heart failure (HF). Methods: Participants in this descriptive research were 169 outpatients with HF who being seen in three university hospitals and one general hospital located in B, Y, and D cities. Data were collected using the Korean version of the Center for Epidemiologic Depression Scale and European Heart Failure Self-care Behavior Scale. Data collection period was from April 25, 2012 to September 26, 2013. Data were analyzed using Chi-square tests and ANOVAs with SPSS WIN 21.0. Results: A higher proportion of patients who were female, without a spouse, with lower household income, not employed, and having lower functional status with serious symptoms of HF tended to be clinically depressed. HF patients with depression tended not to report symptom changes to their health care providers. Conclusion: The findings of this study indicate the need to screen for depression in patients with HF and to develop strategies to improve self-care behaviors in these patients in order to promote reporting of symptom changes to health care providers.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Zambroski CH, Moser DK, Bhat G, Ziegler C. Impact of symptom prevalence and symptom burden on quality of life in patients with heart failure. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2005;4(3):198-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2005.03.010
- Rutledge T, Reis VA, Linke SE, Greenberg BH, Mills PJ. Depression in heart failure: a meta-analytic review of prevalence, intervention effects, and associations with clinical outcomes. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2006;48(8):1527-1537. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2006.06.055
- Lesman-Leegte I, Jaarsma T, Coyne JC, Hillege HL, Van Veldhuisen DJ, Sanderman R. Quality of life and depressive symptoms in the elderly: A comparison between patients with heart failure and age-and gender-matched community controls. Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2009;15(1):17-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2008.09.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2008.09.006
- Bekelman DB, Havranek EP, Becker DM, Kutner JS, Peterson PN, Wittstein IS, et al. Symptoms, depression, and quality of life in patients with heart failure. Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2007;13(8):643-648. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2007.05.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2007.05.005
- Albert NM, Fonarow GC, Abraham WT, Gheorghiade M, Greenberg BH, Nunez E, et al. Depression and clinical outcomes in heart failure: An OPTIMIZE-HF analysis. American Journal of Medicine. 2009;122(4):366-373. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2008.09.046 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2008.09.046
- Jiang W, Kuchibhatla M, Cuffe MS, Christopher EJ, Alexander JD, Clary GL, et al. Prognostic value of anxiety and depression in patients with chronic heart failure. Circulation. 2004;110(22):3452-3456. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000148138.25157.F9 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000148138.25157.F9
- Riegel B, Vaughan Dickson V, Goldberg LR, Deatrick JA. Factors associated with the development of expertise in heart failure self-care. Nursing Research. 2007;56(4):235-243. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.NNR.0000280615.75447.f7 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNR.0000280615.75447.f7
- Son YJ, Kim SH, Kim GY. Factors influencing adherence to self care in patients with chronic heart failure. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2011;23(3):244-254.
- Lee SH, Ahn SH. Self care compliance, family support, and depression in patients with congestive heart failure. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2005;12(2):186-194.
- Artinian NT, Magnan M, Sloan M, Lange MP. Self-care behaviors among patients with heart failure. Heart & Lung. 2002;31(3):161-172. http://dx.doi.org/10.1067/mhl.2002.123672 https://doi.org/10.1067/mhl.2002.123672
- Rockwell JM, Riegel B. Predictors of self-care in persons with heart failure. Heart & Lung. 2001;30(1):18-25. https://doi.org/10.1067/mhl.2001.112503
- Holzapfel N, Lowe B, Wild B, Schellberg D, Zugck C, Remppis A, et al. Self-care and depression in patients with chronic heart failure. Heart & Lung. 2009;38(5):392-397. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2008.11.00120 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2008.11.001
- DiMatteo MR, Lepper HS, Croghan TW. Depression is a risk factor for noncompliance with medical treatment: Meta-analysis of the effects of anxiety and depression on patient adherence. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2000;160(14):2101-2107. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.160.14.2101
- Gehi A, Haas D, Pipkin S, Whooley MA. Depression and medication adherence in outpatients with coronary heart disease: Findings from the Heart and Soul Study. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2005;165(21):2508-2513. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.165.21.2508
- Radloff LS. The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement. 1977;1(3):385-401. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- Bae SW, Sin WS. The factor structure of the CES-D Scale (The Center for Epidemiologic Studies-Depression Scale): An application of confirmatory factor analysis. Health and Social Science. 2005;18:165-190.
- Shin SC, Kim MK, Yun KS, Kim JH, Lee MS, Moon SJ, et al. The Center for Epidemiologic Studies-Depression Scale (CES-D): Its use in Korea. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association. 1991;30(4):752-767.
- Suh GH, Cho DY, Rhoo IK, Yeon BK, Choi IG, Cho MJ. Prevalence and risk factors of depressive symptomatology among the Korean elderly. Journal of the Korean Geriatrics Society. 1998;2(1):49-60.
- Lee H, Kim I, Lim Y, Jung HY, Park HK. Depression and sleep disturbance in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Geriatric Nursing. 2011;32(6):408-417. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2011.08.002
- Lipkin DP, Scriven AJ, Crake T, Poole-Wilson PA. Six minute walking test for assessing exercise capacity in chronic heart failure. British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Ed.). 1986;292(6521):653-655. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.292.6521.653
- Sung JD, On YK, Kim HS, Chae IH, Sohn DW, Oh BH, et al. Development of Korean Activity Scale/Index (KASI). Korean Circulation Journal. 2000;30(8):1004-1009. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2000.30.8.1004
- Jaarsma T, Stromberg A, Martensson J, Dracup K. Development and testing of the European Heart Failure Self-Care Behaviour Scale. European Journal of Heart Failure. 2003;5(3):363-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1388-9842(02)00253-2
- Kato N, Kinugawa K, Ito N, Yao A, Watanabe M, Imai Y, et al. Adherence to self-care behavior and factors related to this behavior among patients with heart failure in Japan. Heart & Lung. 2009;38(5):398-409. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2008.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2008.11.002
- Riegel B, Moser DK, Anker SD, Appel LJ, Dunbar SB, Grady KL, et al. State of the science: Promoting self-care in persons with heart failure: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2009;120(12): 1141-1163. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.192628 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.192628
- Kahng SK, Kwon TY. An exploratory study on the effects of socioeconomic status on depressive symptoms across lifespan. Mental Health & Social Work. 2008;30:332-355.
- Kim JS, Shin KR. A study on depression, stress, and social support in adult women. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2004;34(2):352-361. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.2.352
- Dimos AK, Stougiannos PN, Kakkavas AT, Trikas AG. Depression and heart failure. Hellenic Journal of Cardiology. 2009;50(5):410-417.
- Musselman DL, Evans DL, Nemeroff CB. The relationship of depression to cardiovascular disease: Epidemiology, biology, and treatment. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1998;55(7):580-592. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.55.7.580
- Artinian NT, Artinian CG, Saunders MM. Identifying and treating depression in patients with heart failure. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2004;19(6 Suppl):S47-56. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005082-200411001-00007
- Depressive Symptoms among Patients with Heart Failure in Korea: An Integrative Review vol.4, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare4030052