- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Spatiotemporal Variations of Marine Environmental Parameters in the South-western Region of the East Sea
동해남부연안 해양환경특성 시공간적 변화
- Received : 2014.06.16
- Accepted : 2015.01.30
- Published : 2015.02.28
In order to elucidate the spatiotemporal variations of marine environmental parameters, we collected seawater samples in the south-western region of the East Sea in May, August, and November 2012 and February 2013. The concentrations of dissolved inorganic nutrients (dissolved inorganic nitrogen, phosphorus, and silicate) in surface seawater during the summer season were lower than those during autumn and winter seasons, which the mixed layer is deeper. The low nutrient concentration in spring and summer seasons seems by consumption of dissolved inorganic nutrients by phytoplankon photosynthesis (high chlorophyll a concentration) and the limited supply of dissolved inorganic nutrients from subsurface layer having high nutrients. The low nutrient concentration during spring season seems to be related to the limited supply of dissolved inorganic nutrients from land and subsurface layer because the concentration of chlorophyll a was low. The DIN:DIP ratio was a wide range of average
Nutrient;DIN:DIP ratio;Chlorophyll a;Limiting factor;South-western region of the East Sea
- Chang, K.I., N. Hogg, M.S. Suk, S.K. Byun, Y.G. Kim and K. Kim, 2002. Mean flow and variability in the southwestern East Sea. Deep-Sea Res. I, 49: 2261-2279. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0637(02)00120-6
- Chang, K.I., W.J. Teague, S.J. Lyn, H.T. Perkins, D.K. Lee, D.R. Watts, Y.B. Kim, D.A. Mitchell, C.M. Lee and K. Kim, 2004. Circulation and currents in the southwestern East/Japan Sea: overview and review. Prog. Oceangr., 61: 105-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2004.06.005
- Choi, B.J., D.B. Haidvogel and Y.K. Cho, 2009. Interannual variation of the polar front in the Japan/East Sea from summertime hydrography and sea level data. J. Mar. Syst., 78: 351-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2008.11.021
- Hyun, J.H., D. Kim, C.W. Shin, J.H. Noh, E.J. Yang, J.S. Mok, S.H. Kim, H.C. Kim and S. Yoo, 2009. Enhanced phytoplankton and bacterioplankton production coupled to coastal upwelling and anticyclonic eddy in the Ulleung basin, East Sea. Aquat. Microb. Ecol., 54: 45-54.
- Jeong, D.H., H.H. Shin, S.W. Jung and D.I. Lim, 2013, Variations and characters of water quality during flood and dry seasons in the eastern coast of South Sea, Korea. Korean J. Environ. Biol., 31: 19-36. https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2013.31.1.019
- Kim, S.W., W.J. Go, S.S. Kim, H.D. Jeong and K. Yamada, 2010a. Characteristics of ocean environment before and after coastal upwelling in the southeastern part of Korean Peninsula using an in-situ and multi-satellite data. J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ. Saf., 16: 345-352.
- Kim, T.H. and G. Kim, 2013. Factors controlling the C:N:P stoichiometry of dissolved organic matter in the N-limited, cyanobacteria- dominated East/Japan Sea. J. Mar. Syst., 115-116: 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2013.01.002
- Kim, T.H., Y.W. Lee and G. Kim, 2010b. Hydrographically mediated patterns of photosynthetic pigments in the East/Japan Sea: Low N:P ratios and cyanobacterial dominance. J. Mar. Syst., 82: 72-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2010.03.005
- Kim, S.W., S.I. Saitoh, J. Ishizaka, Y. Isoda and M. Kishino, 2000. Temporal and spatial variability of phytoplankton pigment concentrations in the Japan Sea derived from CZCS images. J. Oceanogr., 56: 527-538. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011148910779
- KMA, 2012. Annual climatological report. Korea Meteorological Administration.
- Lee, J.C., 1983. Variation of sea level and sea surface temperature associated with wind-induced upwelling in the southeast coast of Korea in summer. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Korea, 18: 149-160.
- Lee, J.Y., D.J. Kang, I.N. Kim, T. Rho, T. Lee, C.K. Kang and K.R. Kim, 2009. Spatial and temporal variability in the pelagic ecosystem of the East Sea (Sea of Japan): A review. J. Mar. Syst., 78: 288-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2009.02.013
- Lee, J.C., D.H. Kim and J.C. Kim, 2003. Observation of coastal upwelling at Ulsan in summer 1997. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Korea, 38: 122-134.
- Lee, Y.W., H.J. Park, E.J. Choy, Y. Kim and C.K. Kang, 2010. Temporal variation of phytoplankton community related to water column structure in the Korea Strait. Ocean Polar Res., 32: 321-329.
- Onitsuka, G., Y. Tetsuo and J.H. Yoon, 2007. A numerical study on nutrient sources in the surface layer of the Japan Sea using a coupled physical- ecosystem model. J. Geophys. Res., doi:10.1029/2006JC003981. https://doi.org/10.1029/2006JC003981
- Park, C.G., 1978. Chemical oceanographic aspect of the cold water mass in offshore of the east coast of Korea. Bull. Korean Fish. Soc., 11: 49-54.
- Sverdrup, H.U., 1953, On conditions for the vernal blooming of phytoplankton. J. Cons. Explor. Mer, 18: 287-295. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/18.3.287
- Talley, L.D., P. Tishchenko, V. Luchin, A. Nedashkovskiy, S. Sagalaev, D.J. Kang, M. Warner and D.H. Min, 2004. Atlas of Japan (East) Sea hydrographic properties in summer, 1999. Prog. Oceanogr., 61: 277-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2004.06.011
- Yamada, K., J. Ishizaka and H. Nagata, 2005. Spatial and temporal variability of satellite primary production in the Japan Sea from 1998 to 2002. J. Oceanogr., 61: 857-869. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10872-006-0005-2
- Yanagi, T., 2002. Water, salt, phosphorus and nitrogen budgets of the Japan Sea. J. Oceanogr., 58: 797-804. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022815027968
- Yoo, S. and H.C. Kim, 2004. Suppression and enhancement of the spring bloom in the southwestern East Sea/Japan Sea. Deep-Sea Res. II, 51: 1093-1111. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0645(04)00102-X
- Yoo, S. and J. Park, 2009. Why is the southwest the most productive region of the East Sea/Sea of Japan? J. Mar. Syst., 78: 301-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2009.02.014
- Zhang, J., S.M. Liu, J.L. Ren, Y. Wu and G.L. Zhang, 2007. Nutrient gradients from the eutrophic Changjiang (Yangtze River) Estuary to the oligotrophic Kuroshio waters and re-evaluation of budgets for the East China Sea Shelf. Prog. Oceanogr., 74: 449-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2007.04.019
- The relationship between fish and zooplankton in south-western region of the East Sea using hydroacoustics vol.53, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2017.53.4.376