- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Confinement Effect of Reinforced Concrete Members Using a Parabola-Rectangular Compressive Stress-Strain Relationship
포물선-직선 압축응력-변형률 관계를 이용한 철근콘크리트 부재의 횡구속 효과
- Choi, Seung Won (Dept. of Civil and Construction, Chosun College of Science & Technology) ;
- Kim, Woo (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Chonnam University)
- Received : 2014.05.29
- Accepted : 2014.12.12
- Published : 2015.02.28
In general, RC columns are reinforced by spiral or tied steel and a strength of confined concrete is more increased than this of unconfined concrete. And strength and ductility of column are increased by a confinement effect. A confinement effect is affected by concrete strength, spacing, volume and strength of confinement steel. Many researchers suggested various confinement models which reflected these parameters by many experimental results. In this study, a load-strain relationship is evaluated by a confinement model in EC2, and it is compared with Mander model, Saatchioglu-Razvi model and Cusson et al. model. As results, it is appeared that a confinement model in EC2 is able to apply all kinds of concrete strength and a consistency in sectional analysis can be secured using material models in EC2. In parameter studies using material models in EC2, a confinement effect is more affected by a confinement steel than a concrete strength.
- Mander, J. B., Priestley, M. J. N., and Park, R., "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 1988, pp. 1804-1825.
- Saatchioglu, M. and Razvi, S. R., "Strength and ductility of confined concrete", Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 1992, pp. 1590-1607.
- Cusson, D. and Paultre, P., "Stress-strain model for confined high-strength concrete", Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 1995, pp. 468-477.
- Shin, S. W. and Han, B. S. "Confinement Effects of High Strength Reinforced Concrete Tied Columns", Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, KCI, Vol. 14, No. 4, 2002, pp. 578-588. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2002.14.4.578
- European Committee for Standardization, Eurocode 2-Design of Concrete Structures, Brussels, 2002, pp. 61-63.
- Richart, F. E., Brandtzaeg, A., and Brown R. L., "A study of the failure of concrete under combined compressive stresses", Bull. No. 185, University of Illinois, Engineering Experimental Station, Urbana, 104.
- Esneyder. M., Modeling of confined concrete, Degree of Master, University of Toronto, Canada, 2000, 1-176 pp.