- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Equivalent static wind loads for stability design of large span roof structures
- Gu, Ming (State Key Laboratory of Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji Univeristy) ;
- Huang, Youqin (Engineering Technology Research and Development Center for Structural safety and Health Monitoring in Guangdong Province, Guangzhou University)
- Received : 2014.07.20
- Accepted : 2014.12.06
- Published : 2015.01.25
Wind effects on roofs are usually considered by equivalent static wind loads based on the equivalence of displacement or internal force for structural design. However, for large-span spatial structures that are prone to dynamic instability under strong winds, such equivalent static wind loads may be inapplicable. The dynamic stability of spatial structures under unsteady wind forces is therefore studied in this paper. A new concept and its corresponding method for dynamic instability-aimed equivalent static wind loads are proposed for structural engineers. The method is applied in the dynamic stability design of an actual double-layer cylindrical reticulated shell under wind actions. An experimental-numerical method is adopted to study the dynamic stability of the shell and the dynamic instability originating from critical wind velocity. The dynamic instability-aimed equivalent static wind loads of the shell are obtained.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation
- Bartoli, G. and Ricciardelli, F. (2010), "Characterisation of pressure fluctuations on the leeward and side faces of rectangular buildings and accuracy of the quasi-steady loads", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 98(10-11), 512-519. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2010.04.001
- Budiansky, B. and Roth, R.S. (1962), Axisymmetric dynamic buckling of clamped shallow spherical shells, NASA TND-510, Washington D.C., 597-606.
- Cao, Y., Wang, P. and Jin, X. (2010), "Dynamic analysis of flexible container under wind actions by ALE finite-element method", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 98(12), 881-887. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2010.09.002
- Chen, B., Yang, Q. and Wu, Y. (2012), "Wind-induced response and equivalent static wind loads of long span roofs", Adv. Struct. Eng., 15(7), 1099-1114. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-4318.104.22.1689
- Davenport, A.G. (1961), "The application of statistical concepts to the wind loading of structures", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 19(4), 449-472. https://doi.org/10.1680/iicep.1961.11304
- Davenport, A.G. (1967), "Gust Loading Factor", J. Struct. Div., 93(ST3), 11-34.
- Davenport, A.G. (1995), "How can we simplify and generalize wind loads", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54, 657-669.
- Duthinh, D., Main, J.A., Wright, A.P. and Simiu E. (2008), "Low-rise steel structures under directional winds: Mean recurrence interval of failure", J. Struct. Eng.- ASCE, 134(8), 1383-1388. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:8(1383)
- Fu, J., Xie, Z. and Li, Q. (2008), "Equivalent static wind loads on long-span roof structures". J. Struct. Eng.- ASCE, 134(7), 1115-1128. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:7(1115)
- He, Y. (2002), "Aerodynamic stability analysis of space structures", J. Shanghai Jiaotong Univ., 36(11), 1616-1620 (in Chinese).
- Hsu, C. (1967), "The effect of various parameters on the dynamic stability of a shallow arch", J. Appl. Mech. - T ASME, 34(6), 349-358. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3607689
- Huang, Y. and Gu, M. (2011), "Dynamic instability of spatial structures under wind loads", J. Vib. Shock, 30(2), 41-46 (in Chinese).
- Ishikawa, K. and Kato, S. (1993), "Earthquake resistant capacity of double layer latticed dome due to vertical motions", J. Struct. Constr. Eng., 447(5), 79-88.
- Kasperski, M. (1992), "Extreme wind load distributions for linear and nonlinear design", Eng. Struct., 14(1), 27-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(92)90005-B
- Katsumura, A., Tamura, Y. and Nakamura O. (2007), "Universal wind load distribution simultaneously reproducing largest load effects in all subject members on large-span cantilevered roof", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95(9-11), 1145-1165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.01.020
- Ke, S., Wang, T., Ge, Y. and Tamura, Y. (2014), "Wind-induced responses and equivalent static wind loads of tower-blade coupled large wind turbine system", Struct. Eng. Mech., 52(3), 485-505. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.52.3.485
- Li, Q. and Melbourne, W.H. (1995), "An experimental investigation of the effects of free-stream turbulence on streamwise surface pressures in separated and reattaching flows", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54-55, 313-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00050-N
- Li, Y. and Tamura, Y. (2005), "Nonlinear dynamic analysis for large-span single-layer reticulated shells subjected to wind loading", Wind Struct., 8(1), 35-48. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2005.8.1.035
- Liang S., Zou L., Wang D. and Huang G. (2014), "Analysis of three dimensional equivalent static wind loads of symmetric high-rise buildings based on wind tunnel tests", Wind Struct., 19(5), 565-583. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2014.19.5.565
- Mi, F. (2007), "Research on wind-induced responses and interference effects on dry coal shed", Master Dissertation, Tongji University, Shanghai, China (in Chinese).
- Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People's Republic of China (2001), GB50009-2001, Load code for the design of building structures, Beijing (in Chinese).
- Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People's Republic of China (2003), GB50017-2003, Code for design of steel structures, Beijing (in Chinese).
- Miyake, A., Yoshimura, T. and Makino, M. (1992), "Aerodynamic instability of suspended roof models", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 42(1-3), 1471-1482. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(92)90154-3
- Nakamura, O., Tamura, Y., Miyashita, K. and Itoh M. (1994), "A case study of wind pressure and wind-induced vibration of a large span open-type roof", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 52, 237-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)90050-7
- Shanmugasundaram, J., Arunachalam, S., Gomathinayagam, S., Lakshmanan, N. and Harikrishna, P. (2000), "Cyclone damage to buildings and structures-a case study", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 84(3), 369-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00114-2
- Simitses, G. (1990), Dynamic Stability of Suddenly Loaded Structures, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, USA.
- Simiu, E. and Scanlan, R.H. (1996), Wind effects on structures: fundamentals and applications to design, John Wiley&Sons, Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- Sofiyev, A.H. (2004), "The stability of functionally graded truncated conical shells subjected to aperiodic impulsive loading", Int. J. of Solids Struct., 41(13), 3411-3424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2004.02.003
- Song, B. and Jones, N. (1983), "Dynamic buckling of elastic-plastic complete spherical shells under step loading", Int. J. Impact Eng., 1(1), 51-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(83)90012-X
- Timpledon, L., Marseken, M. and Surhone, S. (2010), Phase plane: Differential equation, Lotka-Volterra equation, eigenvectors, eigenvalues, saddle point, node, sines, Betascript Publishing, Beau Bassin, Mauritius.
- Toi, Y. and Isobe, D. (1996), "Finite element analysis of quasi-static and dynamic collapse behavior of framed structure by the adaptively case study of wind pressure and wind-induced vibration shifted integration technique", Comput. Struct., 58(5), 947-955. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(95)00195-M
- Yang, Q. and Liu, R. (2005), "On aerodynamic stability of membrane structures", Int. J. Space Struct., 20(3), 181-188. https://doi.org/10.1260/026635105775213782
- Zhou, X., Huang, P., Gu, M. and Mi, F. (2011), "Wind loads and responses of two neighboring dry coal sheds", Adv. Struct. Eng., 14(2), 207-221. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-4322.214.171.124
- Zhou, X., Gu, M. and Li, G. (2012), "Grouping response method for equivalent static wind loads based on a modified LRC method", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 11(1), 107-119. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-012-0102-8
- Zhou, Y., Gu, M. and Xiang, H. (1999), "Along-wind static equivalent wind loads and responses of tall buildings. Part I: Unfavorable distributions of static equivalent wind loads", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 79(1-2), 135-150 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00297-3