- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relationship Between the Physical Activity Levels and Health Care Utilization in Korean Elderly
한국 노인의 신체활동 정도와 의료이용과의 관련성
- Kwak, Kwang-Il (Joint Research Institute, Yeosu Baek Hospital) ;
- Baek, Chang-Hee (Joint Research Institute, Yeosu Baek Hospital) ;
- Ryu, So-Yeon (Dept. of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Chosun University)
- Received : 2014.08.29
- Accepted : 2015.01.08
- Published : 2015.01.31
This study examined the relationship between the physical activity levels and health care utilization in Korean elderly based on the data from The fifth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (K-NHANES V). As a result, physically active participants were 0.54 times (OR;95% CI, p<0.001) less likely to use inpatient health care and 0.73 times (OR;95% CI, p=0.040) less likely to use outpatient health care and 0.75 times (OR;95% CI, p<0.007) less likely to use drugstores than physically inactive participants, and the frequency of health care use was lower. In addition, physically minimal active participants were 0.64 times (OR;95% CI, p<0.001) less likely to use inpatient health care than physically inactive participants; the frequency of other health care facilities was lower. In conclusion, the relationship between being physically active and lower health care utilization among Korean elderly identified in this study. This suggests that being physically active is helpful to the elderly, not only in health promotion and improving quality of life, but also in reduced medical expenditure.
Physical Activity Levels;Health Care Utilization;The Korean Elderly;K-NHANES V
- Kim, K. W, "Sport political approach to cut down on social medical cost", Health & Sports Medicine, 9(1), pp.133-146, 2007.
- Statistics Korea, 2013 Statistics on the Aged, 2013.
- Kim, J. G, "Factors Affecting the Choice of Medical Care Use by the Elderly Person", Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 39, pp.273-302, 2008.
- Thomas, L., Dirk, H., Hanna, L., Sven, H., Melanie, L., Steffi, R. H., Hanns-Helmut, K., "Health care utilization and costs of elderly persons with multiple chronic conditions", Med Care Rev, 68(4), pp.387-420, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1077558711399580 https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558711399580
- Lee, H. S, "A Study on Factors Causing Health Conditions and the Burden of Medical Expenses to the Elderly", The Korean Gerontological Society, 24(2), pp.163-179, 2004.
- Morimoto, T., Oguma, Y., Yamazaki, S., Sokejima, S., Naka-yama, T., & Fukuhara, S. "Gender differences in effects of physical activity on quality of life and resource utilization", Quality of Life Research, 15, pp.537-546. 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11136-005-3033-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-005-3033-2
- U. S. Department of Health & Human Services. (2008). 2008 Physical activity guidelines for Americans, Washington, D.C.: Author.
- Blake, H., Mo, P., Malik, S., & Thomas, S. ."How effective are physical activity interventions for alleviating depressive symptoms in older people? A systematic review", Clinical Rehabilitation, 23, pp.873-887. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0269215509337449 https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215509337449
- Nalin A. S, Maria A. F. "Exercise and Depression in the older Adult," Nutrition Clinical Care 3(4), pp.197-208, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5408.2000.00052.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5408.2000.00052.x
- Katzmarzyk, p. T., Gledhill, N., & Shephard, R. J. "The economic burden of physical inactivity in Canad",. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 163, pp.1435-1440. 2000.
- Martin, M. Y., Powell, M. P., Peel, C., Zhu, S., & Allman, R. "Leisure-time physical activity and health-care utilization in older adults". Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 14, pp.392-410, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.14.4.392
- Woolcott, J. C., Ashe, M. C., Miller, W. C., Shi, P., Marra, C. A., & PACC Re-search Team. "Does physical activity reduce seniors' need for healthcare?: A study of 24,281 canadians". British Journal of Sports Medicine, 44, pp.902-904. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2008.057216 https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2008.057216
- Sari, N. "Physical inactivity and its impact on healthcare utilization". Health Economics, 18, pp.885-901. 2009. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hec.1408 https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.1408
- Perkins, A. J., Clark, D. O. "Assessing the association of walking with health services use and costs among socioeconomically disadvantaged older adults". Preventive Medicine, 32, pp.492-501, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2001.0832 https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2001.0832
- Fonseca, V. R., Nobre, M. R. C., Pronk, N. P. & Santos, L. A. "The association between physical activity, productivity, and health care utilization among employees in Brazil". Journal of Occupational and En-vironmental Medicine, 52, pp.706- 712. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0b013e3181e41cda https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0b013e3181e41cda
- Ministry of Health, Welfare and Family Affairs . Korea Centers for Disease Control & prevention. (2008, December). 2007 statistics of national health. Seoul: Author.
- Hong, S. Y., "Determinants of Self-rated Health in Sedentary Older Adults", Journal of Korean society for Health Education and Promotion, 25(4), pp.67-82, 2008.
- Oh, Y. H., "An Ecometric Analysis of the Difference between Exercisers and Non-Exercisers in Medical Care Use", Health and social Welfare Review, 33(4), pp.471-496. 2013. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2013.33.4.471
- Chae, D. H., Kim, S. H., Lee, C. Y., "A Study on Gender Differences in Influencing Factors of Office Workers' Physical Activity", Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, 24(3), pp.273-281, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.3.273 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.3.273
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2014). Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V). Retrieved 2014, from http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/
- ACSM, "Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. 6th ed," Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2000.
- Ainsworth, B. E., Haskell, W. L., Whitt, M. C., Irwin, M. L.,Swartz, A. M., Strath, S. J., et al., "Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities", Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 32 (9), S498-S516. 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200009001-00009 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200009001-00009
- Moon, H. J., Lee, I. S., "Gender-based Comparison of Physical Activity Levels of Older Korean Adults with Chronic Disease", Journal of Korean Gerontology Nursing, 13(2), pp.120-130, 2011.
- Bae, S. Y., Ko, D. S., Noh, J. S., Lee, B. H., Park, H. S., & Park, J. "Relation of physical activity and health-related quality of life in Korean elderly", The Journal of The Korea Contents Association, 10(10), pp.255-266, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.10.10.255 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.10.10.255
- Park, S. M., & Park, Y. H. "Predictors of physical activity in Korean older adults: Distinction between urban and rural areas", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 40(2), pp.191-201. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.191 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.191
- Cho, M. W., Lee, S. I., Gil, S. R., Lee, J. H., Kang, W. C., Son, H. S., Yoo, C. I., "Measuring Health Related Quality of Life of General Adut Population in One Metropolitan City using EQ-5D", Korean Journal of Health Policy and Administration, 18(3), pp.18-40, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2008.18.3.018 https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2008.18.3.018
- Choi, R., Moon, H. J., Hwang, B. D., "The Influence of chronic Disease on the Stress Cognition, Depression, Experience and Suicide Thoughts of the Elderly", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 4(2), pp.73-84, 2010.
- Wang, F., McDonald, T., Reffitt, B., & Edington, D. W., "BMI, physical activity, and healthcare utilization/costs among medicare retirees", Obesity Research, 13, pp.1450-1457, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/oby.2005.175 https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2005.175
- Jean, B., Raymond, B., Ravinder, S., "Reduction of Hospital Utilization in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease", Archive International Medicine, 163, pp.585-591, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archinte.163.5.585 https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.163.5.585
- Anderson, L. H., Martinson, B. C., Crain, A. L., pronk, N. p., Whitebird, R. R., Fine, L. J., et al. "Health care charges associated with physical in-activity, overweight, and obesity". Preventing Chronic Disease, 2(4), pp.1-12. 2005. http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2005/oct/04_0118.htm
- Koh, K. W. "Medical cost of physical inactivity". Health & Sports Medicine, 8(2), pp.57-62, 2006.
- Ashe, M. C., Miller, W. C., Eng, J. J., Noreau, L., & physical Activity and Chronic Conditions Research Team. "Older adults, chronic disease and leisure-time physical activity. Gerontology, 55, 64-72. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000141518 https://doi.org/10.1159/000141518
- Leis, K. S., Reeder, B. A., Chad, K. E., Spink, K. S., Fisher, K. L., & Bruner, B. G. "The relationship of chronic disease and demographic variables to physical activity in a sample of women aged 65 to 79 years", Women & Health, 50(5), pp.459-474, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03630242.2010.506150 https://doi.org/10.1080/03630242.2010.506150