- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Hopper Design for Minimizing the Wrapage Deformation at Injection Molding Processes
사출공정에서 휨 변형을 최소로 하는 호퍼 설계 연구
- Kim, Young-Suk (School of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Eui-Joo (Graduate School, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Son, Jae-Hwan (Daegu Mechatronics and Material Institute)
- Received : 2014.08.14
- Accepted : 2014.01.08
- Published : 2015.01.31
Injection molding is a high efficient manufacturing technology for producing plastic parts. On the other hand, the warpage of molded plastic parts is an ubiquitous problem in the injection molding process. The main objective of this study was to minimize the amount of warpage occurring in the injection molding process of a hopper of ATDPS made of crystalline polymer (PP) instead of amorphous polymer (ABS). The moldflow CAE simulation was conducted for the molding process of the hopper to clarify the injection moldability, shear rate, shear stress, warpage by changing the gate shape and the number of ribs installed on the top of the hopper flange. The wide gate shape of runner system and multiple rib installation were found to be useful for minimizing the warpage of the hopper. The validity of the CAE simulations was supported by the injection molding experiment for the optimized design case.
Supported by : 경북대학교
- R. Zheng, R.I. Tanner, X.J. Fan, Shrinkage and warpage in injection molding, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp.87-10, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-21263-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-21263-5
- S.Y. Han, "The relation between injection molding conditions and gloss of ABS molding", J. Korea Academia-Industrial Coop. Soc., Vol.14(11), pp.5352-5356, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5352 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5352
- J.W. Son, Y.S. Kim, C.W. Han, "A quality stability estimation of shock-absorber tube for automatic drawer", J. Korea Academia-Industrial Coop. Soc., Vol.12(7), pp.2919-2924, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.7.2919 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.7.2919
- Moldflow, Autodesk Simulation Moldflow Insight/Synergy 2014, http://www.autodesk.co.kr
- K.M. Kim, J.C. Park, H.I. Ahn, "Direct search-based robust design of wrapage in injection molded parts", J. Korean Soc. Quality Manag., Vol.29(3), pp.86-95, 2001.
- M.S. Phadke, Quality Engineering using robust design, Prentice Hall, 1989.
- G.H. Choi, K.D. Lee, N. Chan, S.K. Kim, "Optimization of process parameters of injection molding with neural network application in a rocess simulation environment", CIRP Annals, Vol.43, pp.449-452, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)62250-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)62250-1
- S. Taghizadh, A. Ozademir, O. Ulure, "Warpage prediction in plastic injection molded part using artificial neutral network", IJST, Trans. Mech. Engng., Vol.37(M2), pp.149-160, 2013.
- C. Shen, L. Wang, Q. Li, "Optimization of injection molding process parameters using combination of artificial neural network and genetic algorithm method", J. Mat. Proc. Technol., Vol.183(2-3), pp.412-418, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.10.036 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.10.036
- M. Zhai, Y. Xie, "A study of gate location optimization of plastic injection molding using sequential linear programming", Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. Vol.49, pp.97-10, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-2376-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-2376-1
- R.K. Iranim, B.H. Kim, J.R. Dixon, "Towards automated design of the feed system of injection molds by integrating CAE, iterative redesign and feature". J Eng Ind Trans ASME Vol.117, pp.72-77, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.2803281 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2803281
- M. Studer, F. Ehrig, "Minimizing part wrapage in injection molding by optimizing wall thickness distribution", Adv. Poly. Technol., Vol.21454, pp.1-16, 2014
- M. Lee, J.H. Kim, S.R. Park, M.Y. Lyu, "A study on the wrapage in injection molded part for various part designs and non-reinforced resins", Elastomers Composites, Vol.44(4), pp.373-377, 2009