- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Lack of Association between Hsa-Mir-499 rs3746444 Polymorphism and Cancer Risk: Meta-analysis Findings
- Jiang, Sheng-Gao (Center of Clinical Laboratory Science, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital) ;
- Chen, Lin (Department of Oncology, Xuzhou Medical College) ;
- Tang, Jin-Hai (Department of General Surgery, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital) ;
- Zhao, Jian-Hua (Center of Clinical Laboratory Science, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital) ;
- Zhong, Shan-Liang (Center of Clinical Laboratory Science, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital)
- Published : 2015.02.04
Epidemiologic findings concerning the association between the hsa-mir-499 rs3746444 A>G polymorphism and cancer risk have yielded mixed results. We aimed to investigate the association by performing a meta-analysis of all available studies. We searched PubMed and EMBASE for studies published up to November 2014, using odds ratios (ORs) with 95% confidence intervals (CIs) to assess the strength of any association. The Benjamini-Hochberg (BH) method was used to correct the p values for multiple comparisons. We included 39 studies, including 14,136 cases and 16,937 controls. The results of overall meta-analysis suggested a borderline association between hsa-mir-499 rs3746444 polymorphism and cancer susceptibility (AG+GG vs. AA: OR=1.15, 95% CI=1.04-1.26, corrected p value=0.04). After removing studies not conforming to Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium (HWE), however, this association disappeared (AG+GG vs AA: OR=1.18, 95% CI=1.03-1.34, corrected p value=0.21). When stratified analysis by ethnicity, cancer type or HWE in controls, although some associations between hsa-mir-499 rs3746444 polymorphism and cancer susceptibility were detected, these associations no longer existed after adjustment using BH method. In conclusion, our meta-analysis suggests that hsa-mir-499 rs3746444 A>G polymorphism is not associated with risk of cancer based on current evidence.
- Ahn DH, Rah H, Choi YK, et al (2013). Association of the miR-146aC>G, miR-149T>C, miR-196a2T>C and miR-499A>G polymorphisms with gastric cancer risk and survival in the Korean population. Mol Carcinog, 52, 39-51.
- Akkiz H, Bayram S, Bekar A, et al (2011). Genetic variation in the microRNA-499 gene and hepatocellular carcinoma risk in a Turkish population: lack of any association in a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3107-12.
- Alshatwi AA, Shafi G, Hasan TN, et al (2012). Differential expression profile and genetic variants of microRNAs sequences in breast cancer patients. PLoS One, 7, 30049. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0030049
- Anglicheau D, Muthukumar T, Suthanthiran M (2010). MicroRNAs: small RNAs with big effects. Transplantation, 90, 105-12.
- Bansal C, Sharma KL, Misra S, et al (2014). Common genetic variants in pre-microRNAs and risk of breast cancer in the North Indian population. Ecancermedicalscience, 8, 473.
- Benjamini Y, Hochberg Y (1995). Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J R Stat Soc B, 57, 289-300.
- Catucci I, Yang R, Verderio P, et al (2010). Evaluation of SNPs in miR-146a, miR196a2 and miR-499 as low-penetrance alleles in German and Italian familial breast cancer cases. Hum Mutat, 31, 1052-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/humu.21141
- Chu YH, Hsieh MJ, Chiou HL, et al (2014). MicroRNA gene polymorphisms and environmental factors increase patient susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS One, 9, 89930. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0089930
- Chu YH, Tzeng SL, Lin CW, et al (2012). Impacts of microRNA gene polymorphisms on the susceptibility of environmental factors leading to carcinogenesis in oral cancer. PLoS One, 7, 39777. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0039777
- Du M, Lu D, Wang Q, et al (2014). Genetic variations in microRNAs and the risk and survival of renal cell cancer. Carcinogenesis, 35, 1629-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgu082
- Egger M, Davey Smith G, Schneider M, et al (1997). Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ, 315, 629-34. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.315.7109.629
- George GP, Gangwar R, Mandal RK, et al (2011). Genetic variation in microRNA genes and prostate cancer risk in North Indian population. Mol Biol Rep, 38, 1609-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-010-0270-4
- Gutierrez-Camino A, Lopez-Lopez E, Martin-Guerrero I, et al (2014). Noncoding RNA-related polymorphisms in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia susceptibility. Pediatr Res, 75, 767-73. https://doi.org/10.1038/pr.2014.43
- Hasani SS, Hashemi M, Eskandari-Nasab E, et al (2014). A functional polymorphism in the miR-146a gene is associated with the risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a preliminary report. Tumour Biol, 35, 219-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1027-1
- He L, Hannon GJ (2004). MicroRNAs: small RNAs with a big role in gene regulation. Nat Rev Genet, 5, 522-31. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg1379
- Hou YY, Lee JH, Chen HC, et al (2014). The association between miR-499a polymorphism and oral squamous cell carcinoma progression. Oral Dis,
- Hu X, Li L, Shang M, et al (2014). Association between microRNA genetic variants and susceptibility to colorectal cancer in Chinese population. Tumour Biol, 35, 2151-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1285-y
- Hu Z, Liang J, Wang Z, et al (2009). Common genetic variants in pre-microRNAs were associated with increased risk of breast cancer in Chinese women. Hum Mutat, 30, 79-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/humu.20837
- Hu Z, Zhao Y, Tian T, et al (2009b). Association between microRNA polymorphisms, expressions, lung cancer development and prognosis. Biomedicine Pharmacotherapy, 63, 322.
- Hwang SG, Kim W, Rim KS, et al (2010). Association of genetic polymorphisms of microrna with risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology, 52, 1189-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.23946
- Kim WH, Min KT, Jeon YJ, et al (2012). Association study of microRNA polymorphisms with hepatocellular carcinoma in Korean population. Gene, 504, 92-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2012.05.014
- Kupcinskas J, Wex T, Steponaitiene R, et al (2012). Gene polymorphisms of micrornas in helicobacter pyloriinduced high risk atrophic gastritis and gastric cancer. Helicobacter, 17, 67. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-5378.2012.00986.x
- Kutanzi KR, Yurchenko OV, Beland FA, et al (2011). MicroRNA-mediated drug resistance in breast cancer. Clin Epigenetics, 2, 171-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13148-011-0040-8
- Lewis BP, Burge CB, Bartel DP (2005). Conserved seed pairing, often flanked by adenosines, indicates that thousands of human genes are microRNA targets. Cell, 120, 15-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2004.12.035
- Ling X, Li Y, Yang L, et al (2011). Genetic variant in seed region of hsa-miR-499-3p( rs3746444 A>G) increases risk of lung cancer. Chin J Public Health, 27,
- Liu Z, Li G, Wei S, et al (2010). Genetic variants in selected premicroRNA genes and the risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer, 116, 4753-60. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25323
- Lv M, Dong W, Li L, et al (2013). Association between genetic variants in pre-miRNA and colorectal cancer risk in a Chinese population. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 139, 1405-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-013-1456-7
- Ma XP, Zhang T, Peng B, et al (2013). Association between microRNA polymorphisms and cancer risk based on the findings of 66 case-control studies. PLoS One, 8, 79584. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0079584
- Ma Y, Wang R, Zhang J, et al (2014). Identification of miR-423 and miR-499 polymorphisms on affecting the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in a large-scale population. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers, 18, 516-24. https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2013.0510
- Min KT, Kim JW, Jeon YJ, et al (2012). Association of the miR-146aC>G, 149C>T, 196a2C>T and 499A>G polymorphisms with colorectal cancer in the Korean population. Mol Carcinog, 51, 65-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.21849
- Mittal RD, Gangwar R, George GP, et al (2011). Investigative role of pre-microRNAs in bladder cancer patients: a casecontrol study in North India. DNA Cell Biol, 30, 401-6. https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2010.1159
- Okubo M, Tahara T, Shibata T, et al (2010). Association between common genetic variants in pre-microRNAs and gastric cancer risk in Japanese population. Helicobacter, 15, 524-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-5378.2010.00806.x
- Omrani M, Hashemi M, Eskandari-Nasab E, et al (2014). hsamir-499 rs3746444 gene polymorphism is associated with susceptibility to breast cancer in an Iranian population. Biomark Med, 8, 259-67. https://doi.org/10.2217/bmm.13.118
- Pu JY, Dong W, Zhang L, et al (2014). No association between single nucleotide polymorphisms in pre-mirnas and the risk of gastric cancer in Chinese population. Iran J Basic Med Sci, 17, 128-33.
- Qi JH, Wang J, Chen J, et al (2014). High-resolution melting analysis reveals genetic polymorphisms in MicroRNAs confer hepatocellular carcinoma risk in Chinese patients. BMC Cancer, 14, 643. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-643
- Raudenbush SW (2009). Analyzing effect sizes: Random-effects models. Handbook Research Synthesis Meta-Analysis, 2, 295-316.
- Shan YF, Huang YH, Chen ZK, et al (2013). miR-499A>G rs3746444 and miR-146aG>C expression and hepatocellular carcinoma risk in the Chinese population. Genet Mol Res, 12, 5365-71. https://doi.org/10.4238/2013.November.7.11
- Sharp S (1998). sbe23: Meta-analysis regression. Stata Technical Bulletin, 42, 16-22.
- Siegel R, Ma J, Zou Z, et al (2014). Cancer statistics, 2014. CA Cancer J Clin, 64, 9-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21208
- Song X, Sturgis EM, Liu J, et al (2013). MicroRNA variants increase the risk of HPV-associated squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx in never smokers. PLoS One, 8, 56622. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0056622
- Srivastava K, Srivastava A, Mittal B (2010). Common genetic variants in pre-microRNAs and risk of gallbladder cancer in North Indian population. J Hum Genet, 55, 495-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/jhg.2010.54
- Thakkinstian A, McElduff P, D'Este C, et al (2005). A method for meta-analysis of molecular association studies. Stat Med, 24, 1291-306. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.2010
- Tian T, Shu Y, Chen J, et al (2009). A functional genetic variant in microRNA-196a2 is associated with increased susceptibility of lung cancer in Chinese. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 1183-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0814
- Umar M, Upadhyay R, Prakash G, et al (2013). Evaluation of common genetic variants in pre-microRNA in susceptibility and prognosis of esophageal cancer. Mol Carcinog, 52, 10-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.21931
- Viechtbauer W (2005). Bias and efficiency of meta-analytic variance estimators in the random-effects model. J Educational Behavioral Statistics, 30, 261-93. https://doi.org/10.3102/10769986030003261
- Vinci S, Gelmini S, Mancini I, et al (2013). Genetic and epigenetic factors in regulation of microRNA in colorectal cancers. Methods, 59, 138-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymeth.2012.09.002
- Vinci S, Gelmini S, Pratesi N, et al (2011). Genetic variants in miR-146a, miR-149, miR-196a2, miR-499 and their influence on relative expression in lung cancers. Clin Chem Lab Med, 49, 2073-80.
- Wang XH, Wang FR, Tang YF, et al (2014). Association of miR-149C>T and miR-499A>G polymorphisms with the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in the Chinese population. Genet Mol Res, 13, 5048-54. https://doi.org/10.4238/2014.July.4.20
- Wei J, Zheng L, Liu S, et al (2013). MiR-196a2 rs11614913 T > c polymorphism and risk of esophageal cancer in a Chinese population. Hum Immunol, 74, 1199-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humimm.2013.06.012
- Wu XJ, Mi YY, Yang H, et al (2013). Association of the hsamir-499 (rs3746444) polymorphisms with gastric cancer risk in the Chinese population. Onkologie, 36, 573-6. https://doi.org/10.1159/000355518
- Xiang Y, Fan S, Cao J, et al (2012). Association of the microRNA-499 variants with susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinoma in a Chinese population. Mol Biol Rep, 39, 7019-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-012-1532-0
- Zhou B, Wang K, Wang Y, et al (2011). Common genetic polymorphisms in pre-microRNAs and risk of cervical squamous cell carcinoma. Mol Carcinog, 50, 499-505. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.20740
- Zhou J, Lv R, Song X, et al (2012). Association between two genetic variants in miRNA and primary liver cancer risk in the Chinese population. DNA Cell Biol, 31, 524-30. https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2011.1340
- Zintzaras E (2010). Impact of Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium deviation on allele-based risk effect of genetic association studies and meta-analysis. Eur J Epidemiol, 25, 553-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-010-9467-z
- Zou HZ, Zhao YQ (2013). Positive association between miR-499A>G and hepatocellular carcinoma risk in a Chinese population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1769-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1769
- A Meta-Analysis of miR-499 rs3746444 Polymorphism for Cancer Risk of Different Systems: Evidence From 65 Case-Control Studies vol.9, pp.1664-042X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2018.00737