- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Predictors of Knowledge Level and Awareness towards Breast Cancer among Turkish Females
- Aydogan, Umit (Department of Family Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy) ;
- Doganer, Yusuf C. (Turkish Military Academy, Primary Care Examination Center) ;
- Kilbas, Zafer (Department of General Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy) ;
- Rohrer, James E. (Mayo Clinic) ;
- Sari, Oktay (Department of General Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy) ;
- Usterme, Necibe (Department of Family Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy) ;
- Yuksel, Servet (Department of Family Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy) ;
- Akbulut, Halil (Department of Family Medicine, 4th Air Force Base) ;
- Balkan, Salih M. (Department of General Surgery, TOBB ETU Hospital) ;
- Saglam, Kenan (Department of Internal Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy) ;
- Tufan, Turgut (Department of General Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy)
- Published : 2015.02.04
Background: Breast cancer (BC) is the most-common malignancy of women worldwide. Though there are differences among developed and developing countries, BC remains the most common cancer type of women in Turkey. Objective: This study aimed to identify the level of knowledge, awareness, and their potential predictors towards BC in Ankara, Turkey. Materials and Methods: The present descriptive study was conducted on 376 females attending a breast health outpatient clinic. A self-administered questionnaire was designed to evaluate knowledge level about BC and predictors effecting its level. Data analysis was performed using the chi-square test. A value of p<0.05 was considered statistically significant. Results: Mean age of the participants was
- Alam AA (2006). Knowledge of breast cancer and its risk and protective factors among women in Riyadh. Ann Saudi Med, 26, 272-7.
- Altunkan H, Akin B, Ege E (2008). Awareness and practice of breast self examination among 20-60 years women. The J Breast Health, 4, 84-91.
- American Cancer Society (2013). What are the key statistics about breast cancer? [Online]. Available: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/detailedguide/breast-cancer- keystatistics [Accessed July 24 2014].
- Anderson BO, Shyyan R, Eniu A, et al (2006). Breast cancer in limited-resource countries: an overview of the Breast Health Global Initiative 2005 guidelines. Breast J, 12, 3-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2006.00199.x
- Avci IA (2008). Factors associated with breast self-examination practices and beliefs in female workers at a Muslim community. European J Oncol Nurs, 12, 127-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2007.11.006
- Begum P, Richardson CE, Carmichael AR (2009). Obesity in post menopausal women with a family history of breast cancer: prevalence and risk awareness. Int Semin Surg Oncol, 6, 1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7800-6-1
- Bener A, El Ayoubi HR, Moore MA, et al (2009). Do we need to maximise the breast cancer screening awareness? Experience with an endogamous society with high fertility. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 599-604.
- Bray F, Ren JS, Masuyer E, et al (2013). Global estimates of cancer prevalence for 27 sites in the adult population in 2008. Int J Cancer, 132, 1133-45. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27711
- Chioma C, Asuzu S (2007). Knowledge, attitude and practice of self breast examination among the female students of the university of Ibadan, Nigeria. Pakistan J Social Sci, 4, 400-2.
- Dandash KF, Al-Mohaimeed A (2007). Knowledge, attitudes, and practices surrounding breast cancer and screening in female teachers of Buraidah, Saudi Arabia. Int J Health Sci, 1, 61-71.
- Discigil G, Sensoy N, Tekin N, et al (2007). Arastirma Yazisi Meme Sagligi: Ege Bolgesinde Yasayan Bir Grup Kadinin Bilgi, Davranis Ve Uygulama. Marmara Med J, 20, 29-36.
- Donnelly TT, Al Khater AH, Al-Bader SB, et al (2013). Beliefs and attitudes about breast cancer and screening practices among Arab women living in Qatar: a cross-sectional study. BMC Womens Health, 13, 49. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-13-49
- Dundar PE, Ozmen D, Ozturk B, et al (2006). The knowledge and attitudes of breast self-examination and mammography in a group of women in a rural area in western Turkey. BMC Cancer, 6, 43. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-43
- Fishman A (2010). The effects of parity, breastfeeding, and infertility treatment on the risk of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer: a review. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 20, 31-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/IGC.0b013e3181f60d4d
- Gilani SI, Khurram M, Mazhar T, et al (2010). Knowledge, attitude and practice of a Pakistani female cohort towards breast cancer. J Pak Med Assoc, 60, 205-8.
- Golbasi Z, Kutlar Z, Akdeniz H (2007). The effect of education given by nursing students on womens' knowledge and practice of breast cancer/breast self examination in a public training center. J Breast Health, 3, 53-7.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). 2012. Latest world cancer statistics [Online]. Available: http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2013/pdfs/pr223_E.pdf [Accessed July 25 2014].
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Khalil RB (2013). Attitudes, beliefs and perceptions regarding truth disclosure of cancer-related information in the Middle East: A review. Palliative and Supportive Care, 11, 69-78. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1478951512000107
- Khazaee-Pool M, Montazeri A, Majlessi F, et al (2014). Breast cancer-preventive behaviors: exploring Iranian women's experiences. BMC Womens Health, 14, 41. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-14-41
- Kosgeroglu N, Ayranci U, Ozerdogan N, et al (2011). Knowledge of women on early diagnosis methods and risk factors for breast cancer in a province of Western Turkey: A descriptive study. Pakistan J Med Sci, 27, 646-50.
- Kurtuncu M, Akhan LU, Celik S, et al (2014). Cancer awareness among university students in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4289-94. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4289
- Lipkus IM, Biradavolu M, Fenn K, et al (2001). Informing women about their breast cancer risks: truth and consequences. Health Commun, 13, 205-26. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327027HC1302_5
- Mafuvadze B, Manguvo A, He J, et al (2013). Breast Cancer Knowledge and Awareness among High School and College Students in Mid-Western USA. Intern J Sci Edu, 3, 144-58.
- Mandelblatt J, Kaufman E, Sheppard VB, et al (2005). Breast cancer prevention in community clinics: will low-income Latina patients participate in clinical trials? Prev Med, 40, 611-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.09.004
- Narod SA (2006). Modifiers of risk of hereditary breast cancer. Oncogene, 25, 5832-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209870
- Nekhlyudov L, Fletcher SW (2001). Is it time to stop teaching breast self-examination? CMAJ, 164, 1851-2.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Powe BD, Finnie R (2003). Cancer fatalism: the state of the science. Cancer Nurs, 26, 66-7.
- Radi SM (2013). Breast Cancer awareness among Saudi females in Jeddah. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4307-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4307
- Rosenstock I.M. (1966). Why People use health services. The Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly, 44, 94-124. https://doi.org/10.2307/3348967
- Saadi A, Bond B, Percac-Lima S (2012). Perspectives on preventive health care and barriers to breast cancer screening among Iraqi women refugees. J Immigr Minor Health, 14, 633-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-011-9520-3
- Turkey Statistical Institute. Statistical Yearbook of Turkey (TUIK) (2012) [Online]. Available: http://www.tuik.gov.tr/yillik/yillik.pdf. [Accessed July 25, 2014].
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2011). Breast Cancer: Prevention and Control [Online]. Available: http://www.who.int/cancer/detection/breastcancer/en/index.html [Accessed July 23, 2014].
- Yilmaz D, Bebis H, Ortabag T (2013). Determining the awareness of and compliance with breast cancer screening among Turkish residential women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3281-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3281
- Prognostic Factors for Survival in Patients with Breast Cancer Referred to Omitted Cancer Research Center in Iran vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.5081
- An Empirical Study on Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine Usage among Malaysian Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6237
- Staged Improvement in Awareness of Disease for Elderly Cancer Patients in Southern China vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6311
- Women's Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices about Breast Cancer in a Rural District of Central India vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6863
- Evaluation of Breast Cancer Knowledge and Awareness Among Hospital Staff in a Women Heath Hospital in Turkey vol.32, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-015-0981-2
- Transcultural adaptation and validation of the Persian version of the breast cancer awareness measure (BCAM) questionnaire vol.7, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1740