- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of BCL6 and MUM1 Expression in Patients with Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma and their Correlations with Staging and Prognosis in Iran
- Rahimi, Hossein (Hematology Oncology Department, Mashhad University of Medical Science) ;
- Jafarian, Amirhossein (Pathology Department, Cancer and Molecular Pathology Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Science) ;
- Samadi, Alireza (Internal Medicine Research Center for Patient Safety, Mashhad University of Medical Science) ;
- Meamar, Bahram (Pathology, Cancer Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Science) ;
- Rahmani, Shaghayegh (Research Center for Patient Safety, Mashhad University of Medical Science)
- Published : 2015.02.04
Background: Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) is the most common form of non-Hodgkins lymphoma (NHL), accounting for approximately 25% of NHL cases. The aim of this study was to evaluate the association between the BCL6 and MUM1 gene expression and patient prognosis and stage. Materials and Methods: After ethical approval, in a cross-sectional study, tissue samples of 80 patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma were analyzed for BCL6 and MUM1 gene expression. Immunohistochemical staining was performed with division into categories of 0-5%, 5-25%, 26-50%, 51-75% and more than 75%. Other clinical and histological information such as lymph node involvement, T-stage, B symptoms and patient outcome were also recorded. Data were analyzed with SPSS version 16 and a P-value less than 0.05 was considered significant. Results: The patient mean age was
- Anderson J, Fordham S, Overman L, et al (2009). Immunophenotyping of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) defines multiple sub-groups of germinal centrelike tumours displaying different survival characteristics. Int J Oncol, 35, 961-71.
- Bodoon K, Matalka I, Hayajneh R, Haddad Y, Gharaibeh W (2012). Evaluation of BCL-6, CD10, CD138 and MUM-1 expression in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients: CD138 is a marker of poor prognosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3037-46. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3037
- Colomo L, Lopez-Guillermo A, Perales M, et al (2003). Clinical impact of the differentiation profile assessed by immunophenotyping in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Blood, 101, 78-84 https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2002-04-1286
- Cook NR (2007). Use and misuse of the receiver operating characteristic curve in risk prediction. Circulation, 115, 928-35. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.672402
- Davies AJ, Rosenwald A, Wright G, et al (2007). Transformation of follicular lymphoma to diffuse large B-cell lymphoma proceeds by distinct oncogenic mechanisms. Br J Haematol, 136, 286-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.2006.06439.x
- De Mello CA, De Andrade VP, De Lima VC, Carvalho AL, Soares FA (2011). Prognostic impact of MUM1 expression by immunohistochemistry on primary mediastinal large B-cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma, 52, 1495-503. https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2011.573032
- Gascoyne RD (2014). The biology of diffuse large B cell lymphoma (dlbcl). Pathology, 1, 32.
- Gatter KC, Warnke RA (2001). Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. In: Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H, Vardiman JW, editors. WHO classification of tumors. pathology and genetics of tumors of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. Lyon (France): IARC Press; p. 171-4.
- Habara T, Sato Y, Takata K, et al (2012). Germinal center B-celllike versus non-germinal center B-cell-like as important prognostic factor for localized nodal DLBCL. J Clin Exp Hematop, 52, 91-9. https://doi.org/10.3960/jslrt.52.91
- Kolokotronis A, Konstantinou N, Christakis I, et al (2005). Localized B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of oral cavity and maxillofacial region: a clinical study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 99, 303-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2004.03.028
- Muller AM, Ihorst G, Mertelsmann R, Engelhardt M (2005). Epidemiology of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL): Trends, geographic distribution, and etiology. Ann Hematol, 84, 1-12
- Sehn LH, Donaldson J, Chhanabhai M (2005). Introduction of combined CHOP plus rituximab therapy dramatically improved outcome of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in British Columbia. J Clin Oncol, 23, 5027-33. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.09.137
- Vaque JP, Martinez N, Batlle-Lopez A (2014). B-cell lymphoma mutations: improving diagnostics and enabling targeted therapies. Haematologica, 99, 222-31. https://doi.org/10.3324/haematol.2013.096248
- Zhang Z, Shen Y, Shen D, Ni X (2012). Immunophenotype classification and therapeutic outcomes of Chinese primary gastrointestinal diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. BMC Gastroenterol, 25, 77.