- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Magnesium Sulfate Induced Toxicity in Vitro in AGS Gastric Adenocarcinoma Cells and in Vivo in Mouse Gastric Mucosa
- Zhang, Xulong (Department of Immunology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Capital Medical University) ;
- Bo, Agula (Department of Public Health, Inner Mongolia Medical University) ;
- Chi, Baofeng (Department of Public Health, Inner Mongolia Medical University) ;
- Xia, Yuan (Department of Public Health, Inner Mongolia Medical University) ;
- Su, Xiong (Department of Public Health, Inner Mongolia Medical University) ;
- Sun, Juan (Department of Public Health, Inner Mongolia Medical University)
- Published : 2015.02.04
Magnesium sulfate is widely used as a food additive and as an orally administered medication. The aim of this study was to evaluate the possible cytotoxicity of magnesium sulfate on AGS human gastric adenocarcinoma cells and gastric mucosa in mice. A trypan blue exclusion assay was used to determine the reduction in viability of AGS cells exposed to magnesium sulfate, and then effects on cell proliferation were quantified. The role of magnesium sulfate-mediated pro-inflammatory cytokine production in AGS cells was also investigated. mRNA expression for IL-
AGS cells;gastric;magnesium sulfate;proliferation;pro-inflammatory cytokine;toxicity;viability
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of Inner Mongolia in China
- Amash A, Holcberg G, Sheiner E, Huleihel M (2010). Magnesium sulfate normalizes placental interleukin-6 secretion in preeclampsia. J Interferon Cytokine Res, 30, 683-90. https://doi.org/10.1089/jir.2010.0011
- Amash A, Holcberg G, Sapir O, Huleihel M (2012). Placental secretion of interleukin-1 and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in preeclampsia: effect of magnesium sulfate. J Interferon Cytokine Res, 32, 432-41. https://doi.org/10.1089/jir.2012.0013
- Baker JF, Walsh PM, Byrne DP (2011). Mulhall, K.J. In vitro assessment of human chondrocyte viability after treatment with local anaesthetic, magnesium sulphate or normal saline. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 19, 1043-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-011-1437-9
- Bachnas MA, Mose JC, Effendi JS, Andonotopo W (2013). Influence of antenatal magnesium sulfate application on cord blood levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in premature infants. J Perinat Med, 24, 1-6.
- Bigdeli M, Zafar S, Assad H, Ghaffar A (2013). Health system barriers to access and use of magnesium sulfate for women with severe pre-eclampsia and eclampsia in Pakistan: evidence for policy and practice. PLoS One, 8.
- Borja-Del-Rosario P, Basu SK., Haberman S et al (2013). Neonatal serum magnesium concentrations are determined by total maternal dose of magnesium sulfate administered for neuroprotectiona. J Perinat Med, 4, 1-5.
- Caddell JL, Graziani LJ, Wiswell TE, et al (1999). The possible role of magnesium in protection of premature infants from neurological syndromes and visual impairments and a review of survival of magnesium-exposed premature infants. Magnes Res, 12, 201-16.
- Chama CM, Geidam AD, Bako B, et al (2013). A shortened versus standard matched postpartum magnesium sulphate regimen in the treatment of eclampsia: a randomised controlled trial. Afr J Reprod Health, 17, 131-6.
- Dribben WH, Creeley CE, Wang HH et al (2009). High dose magnesium sulfate exposure induces apoptotic cell death in the developing neonatal mouse brain. Neonatology, 96, 23-32. https://doi.org/10.1159/000201327
- Eberhardt G, Dersidan A, Nustede R, Schafmayer A (1991). Neurotensin liberation during the consumption of mineral water from bad mergentheimer karlsquelle. Leber Magen Darm, 2, 220-3.
- Eng J(1981). Evaluation of sucrose and magnesium sulfate as additives in aerobic blood culture medium. J Clin Microbiol, 14, 247-51.
- Katsumata Y, Inoue K, Shimamura KA (1998). Study for effects on pre- and postnatal development, including maternal function in rats treated subcutaneously with magnesium sulfate. J Toxicol Sci, 23, 67-9. https://doi.org/10.2131/jts.23.SupplementI_67
- Liu TC (2014). Serum interleukin-8 and interleukin-10 in Cancer Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6703-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6703
- Mirrahimi B, Hamishehkar H, Ahmadi A (2012). The efficacy of magnesium sulfate loading on microalbuminuria following SIRS: One step forward in dosing. Daru, 20, 74. https://doi.org/10.1186/2008-2231-20-74
- Mittendorf R, Dammann O, Lee KS (2006). Brain lesions in newborns exposed to high-dose magnesium sulfate during preterm labor. J Perinatol, 26, 57-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jp.7211419
- Powell C, Dwan K, Milan SJ (2012). Inhaled magnesium sulfate in the treatment of acute asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 12, 12.
- Pryde PG, Mittendorf R (2011). Using prophylactic, but not tocolytic, magnesium sulfate to reduce cerebral palsy related to prematurity: what dose, and what about infant mortality? J Perinat Med, 39, 375-8.
- Rasool M, Zaigham K, Malik A, et al (2014). Potential reproductive health effects and oxidative stress associated with exposure to potassium dichromate (K2Cr2O7) and magnesium sulphate (MgSO4) in male mice. Pak J Med Sci, 30, 819-23.
- Samsonia M, Kandelaki MA (2013). comparative study of antiarrhythmic and antihypoxic effects of magnesium sulfate, its prolonged form and blockers of calcium channels. Georgian Med News, 59, 220-1.
- Sun J, Tian Z, Zhang JH, et al (1995). Effect of recombinant human interleukin-6 on mouse microphage in vitro and in vivo. Chinese J Oncol, 17, 446-7.
- Sun J, Tian Z, Zhang JH, et al (1995). Effect of recombinant human interleukin-6 on mouse blood system. Chinese J Biochem Pharm, 16, 154-6.
- Sun J, Tian Z, Zhang JH, et al (1995). Effect of recombinant human Interleukin-6 on Mouse NK and CTL Cells in vitro and in vivo. Chinese J Cancer Biother, 2, 188-90.
- Sun J, Tian Z, Zhang JH, et al (1996). Effect of recombinant Human Interleukin-6 on Mouse LAK Cells in vitro and in vivo. Chinese J Immunol, 12, 98-100.
- Suzuki-Kakisaka H, Sugimoto J, Tetarbe M et al (2013). Magnesium sulfate increases intracellular magnesium reducing inflammatory cytokine release in neonates. Am J Reprod Immunol, 70, 213-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/aji.12118
- Sugimoto J, Romani AM, Valentin-Torres AM (2012). Magnesium decreases inflammatory cytokine production: a novel innate immunomodulatory mechanism. J Immunol, 188, 6338-46. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1101765
- Sun J, Bi LF, Chi YJ, et al (2005). Effect of sodium acetate on cell proliferation and induction of proinflammatory cytokines: a preliminary evaluation. Food Chem Toxicol, 43, 1773-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2005.05.020
- Sun J, Aoki K, Wang W, et al (2006) Sodium nitrite-induced cytotoxicity in cultured human gastric epithelial cells. Toxicol In Vitro, 20, 1133-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2006.02.005
- Tanahashi T, Kita M, Kodama T (2000). Cytokine expression and production by purified Helicobacter pylori urease in human gastric epithelial cells. Infect and Immun, 664-71.
- The U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access, Code of Federal Regulations (2001), In: Title 21, vol. 3, pp. 515.
- Yumoto H, Nakae H, Fujinaka K, et al (1999). Interleukin-6 (IL-6) and IL-8 are induced in human oral epithelial cells in response to exposure to periodontopathic Eikenella corrodens. Infect and Immun, 1999, 67, 384-94.
- Zhou Q, Shen J, Zhou G, et al (2013). Effects of magnesium sulfate on heart rate, blood pressure variability and baroreflex sensitivity in preeclamptic rats treated with L-NAME. Hypertens Pregnancy, 32, 422-31. https://doi.org/10.3109/10641955.2013.824978
- Tailoring inorganic nanoadjuvants towards next-generation vaccines vol.47, pp.13, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1039/C8CS00028J