- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality of Life for Patients with Esophageal/Gastric Cardia Precursor Lesions or Cancer: A One-year Prospective Study
- Wen, Ying (Department of Epidemiology, West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University) ;
- Pan, Xiong-Fei (Department of Epidemiology, West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University) ;
- Huang, Wen-Zhi (Department of Infection Control, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Zhao, Zhi-Mei (Department of Epidemiology, West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University) ;
- Wei, Wen-Qiang (Department of Cancer Epidemiology, Cancer Institute of Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College) ;
- Chen, Feng (Department of Epidemiology, West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University) ;
- Lan, Hui (Department of Epidemiology, West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University) ;
- Huang, He (Department of Epidemiology, West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University) ;
- Yang, Chun-Xia (Department of Epidemiology, West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University) ;
- Qiao, You-Lin (Department of Cancer Epidemiology, Cancer Institute of Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College)
- Published : 2015.02.04
Background: The current study examined health-related quality of life (QoL) for patients with esophageal/gastric cardia precursor lesions or cancer before and after treatment to facilitate improved prevention and treatment. Materials and Methods: Patients with different stages of esophageal/gastric cardia lesions completed two QoL questionnaires, EORTC QLQ-C30 and supplemental QLQ-OES 18, before primary treatment, and at 1, 6 and 12 months after treatment. Results: Fifty-nine patients with precursor lesions, 57 with early stage cancer, and 43 with advanced cancer responded to our survey. Patients with precursor lesions or early stage cancer reported better QoL overall than those with advanced cancer before treatment (p<0.01). Global QoL scores before treatment and at 1 month after treatment were
Esophageal cancer;gastric cardia cancer;quality of life;QLQ-C30;QLQ-OES 18;China
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, et al (1993). The European organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst, 85, 365-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/85.5.365
- Avery KN, Metcalfe C, Barham CP, et al (2007). Quality of life during potentially curative treatment for locally advanced oesophageal cancer. Br J Surg, 94, 1369-76. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.5888
- Azmawati MN, Najibah E, Hatta MD, Norfazilah A (2014). Quality of life by stage of cervical cancer among Malaysian patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5283-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5283
- Blazeby JM, Conroy T, Hammerlid E, et al (2003). Clinical and psychometric validation of an EORTC questionnaire module, the EORTC QLQ-OES18, to assess quality of life in patients with oesophageal cancer. Eur J Cancer, 39, 1384-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(03)00270-3
- Blazeby JM, Sanford E, Falk SJ, et al (2005). Health-related quality of life during neoadjuvant treatment and surgery for localized esophageal carcinoma. Cancer, 103, 1791-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20980
- Chen Z (2008). Third National Retrospective Sampling Survey of Death Causes Report in 2004-2005 of China. peking union medical college press, Beijing (in Chinese).
- Darling GE (2013). Quality of life in patients with esophageal cancer. Thorac Surg Clin, 23, 569-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thorsurg.2013.07.011
- Derogar M, Lagergren P (2012). Health-related quality of life among 5-year survivors of esophageal cancer surgery: a prospective population-based study. J Clin Oncol, 30, 413-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.38.9791
- Djarv T, Lagergren P (2011). Six-month postoperative quality of life predicts long-term survival after oesophageal cancer surgery. Eur J Cancer, 47, 530-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.10.014
- Farooqui M, Hassali MA, Knight A, et al (2013). Cross sectional assessment of health related quality of life (HRQoL) among patients with cancer in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3017-21. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3017
- Fayers PM, Aaronson NK, Bjordal K, et al (2001). EORTC QLQ-C30 scoring manual, 3rd edn. European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer, Brussels.
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2013). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr, Accessed on 18/3/2014.
- Gockel I, Gonner U, Domeyer M, et al (2010). Long-term survivors of esophageal cancer: disease-specific quality of life, general health and complications. J Surg Oncol, 102, 516-22.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2006). Cancer statistics, 2006. CA Cancer J Clin, 56, 106-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.2.106
- Lagergren P, Avery KN, Hughes R, et al (2007). Healthrelated quality of life among patients cured by surgery for esophageal cancer. Cancer, 110, 686-93. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22833
- Lin JY, Wang MS, Dong LP, et al (2012). Influence of personal character on quality of life of patients with esophageal cancer in north Henan province and influencing factors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5415-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5415
- Osoba D, Rodrigues G, Myles J, et al (1998). Interpreting the significance of changes in health-related quality-of-life scores. J Clin Oncol, 16, 139-44.
- Parameswaran R, Blazeby JM, Hughes R, et al (2010). Health-related quality of life after minimally invasive oesophagectomy. Br J Surg, 97, 525-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.6908
- Peters FP, Kara MA, Rosmolen WD, et al (2005). Endoscopic treatment of high-grade dysplasia and early stage cancer in Barrett's esophagus. Gastrointest Endosc, 61, 506-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5107(05)00063-5
- Quinten C, Martinelli F, Coens C, et al (2014). A global analysis of multitrial data investigating quality of life and symptoms as prognostic factors for survival in different tumor sites. Cancer, 120, 302-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28382
- Reynolds JV, Mclaughlin R, Moore J, et al (2006). Prospective evaluation of quality of life in patients with localized oesophageal cancer treated by multimodality therapy or surgery alone. Br J Surg, 93, 1084-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.5373
- Rouvelas I, Zeng W, Lindblad M, et al (2005). Survival after surgery for oesophageal cancer: a population-based study. Lancet Oncol, 6, 864-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(05)70347-8
- Scarpa M, Saadeh LM, Fasolo A, et al (2013). Health-related quality of life in patients with oesophageal cancer: analysis at different steps of the treatment pathway. J Gastrointest Surg, 17, 421-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-012-2069-1
- Sprangers MA, Schwartz CE (1999). The challenge of response shift for quality-of-life-based clinical oncology research. Ann Oncol, 10, 747-9. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008305523548
- Tomizawa Y, Wang KK (2009). Screening, surveillance, and prevention for esophageal cancer. Gastroenterol Clin North Am, 38, 59-73, viii. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gtc.2009.01.014
- Velikova G, Booth L, Smith AB, et al (2004). Measuring quality of life in routine oncology practice improves communication and patient well-being: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol, 22, 714-24. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.06.078
- Wan CH, Chen MQ, Zhang CZ, et al (2005). The Chinese version of EORTC QLQ-C30 form in evaluation of quality of life for patients with cancer. J Practical Oncol, 20, 353-5.
- Wang GQ, Jiao GG, Chang FB, et al (2004). Long-term results of operation for 420 patients with early squamous cell esophageal carcinoma discovered by screening. Ann Thorac Surg, 77, 1740-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.10.098
- Wang X, Song ZF, Xie RM, et al (2013). Analysis of death causes of in-patients with malignant tumors in Sichuan Cancer Hospital of China from 2002 to 2012. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4399-402. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4399
- Wei WQ, Yang CX, Lu SH, et al (2011a). Cost-benefit analysis of screening for esophageal and gastric cardiac cancer. Chin J Cancer, 30, 213-8. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.010.10425
- Wei WQ, Yang J, Zhang SW, et al (2011b). Esophageal cancer mortality trends during the last 30 years in high risk areas in China: comparison of results from national death surveys conducted in the 1970's, 1990's and 2004-2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1821-6.
- Xu WX, Qian Y, Chen ZD (2007). Development and evaluation on measurement instrument of quality of life for patients with esophageal cancer Chinese version of EORTC QLQ-OES18. Modern Oncol, 15, 1792-94 (in Chinese).
- Yang J, Wei WQ, Niu J, et al (2011). Estimating the costs of esophageal cancer screening, early diagnosis and treatment in three high risk areas in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1245-50.
- Zapletal C, Heesen C, Origer J, et al (2014). Quality of life after surgical treatment of early Barrett's cancer: a prospective comparison of the Ivor-Lewis resection versus the modified Merendino resection. World J Surg, 38, 1444-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-013-2410-1
- Zeng J, Liu JS (2012). Quality of life after three kinds of esophagectomy for cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 18, 5106-13. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v18.i36.5106
- An Empirical Study on Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine Usage among Malaysian Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6237