- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Manganese Superoxide Dismutase (MnSOD Val-9Ala) Gene Polymorphism and Susceptibility to Gastric Cancer
- Moradi, Mohammad-Taher (Medical Biology Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Yari, Kheirollah (Medical Biology Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rahimi, Zohreh (Medical Biology Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Kazemi, Elham (Medical Biology Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Shahbazi, Mehrdad (Islamic Azad University of Ahar)
- Published : 2015.02.25
Background: Oxidative stress caused by the generation of reactive oxygen species plays an important role in human carcinogenesis. Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) Val-9Ala in the mitochondrial target sequence is the best known polymorphism of this enzyme. The purpose of the current research was to assess the association of MnSOD Val-9Ala genotypes with the risk of gastric cancer. Materials and Methods: This case-control study covered 54 gastric cancer patients compared to 100 cancer free subjects as controls. Extraction of DNA was performed on bioptic samples and genotypes were identified with a polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) method. Results: The frequencies of MnSOD Ala/Ala, Ala/Val and Val/Val genotypes in healthy individuals were 24.3, 66.7 and 9%, respectively. However, in gastric cancer patients, Ala/Ala, Ala/Val and Val/Val were observed in 24.0, 48.0 and 28.0% (p=0.01). In patients the frequency of MnSOD Val allele was higher (52%) compared to that in controls (42%). Conclusions: The results of this study show a positive association between MnSOD Val-9Ala gene polymorphism and risk of gastric cancer disease in Iranian population.
- Ambrosone CB, Ahn J, Singh KK, et al (2005). Polymorphisms in genes related to oxidative stress (MPO, MnSOD, CAT) and survival after treatment for breast cancer. Cancer Res, 65, 1105-11.
- Atoum M, Abdel-Fattah M, Nimer N, Abdel-Rahman S, Abdeldayem SA (2012). Association of alanine-valine manganese superoxide dismutase gene polymorphism and microheterogeneity manganese superoxide dismutase activity in breast cancer and benign breast tissue. J Breast Cancer, 15, 157-61. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2012.15.2.157
- Attatippaholkun W, Wikainapakul K (2013). Predominant genotypes and alleles of two functional polymorphisms in the manganese superoxide dismutase gene are not associated with thai cervical or breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3955-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3955
- Augusto AC, Miguel F, Mendonca S, et al (2007a). Oxidative stress expression status associated to Helicobacter pylori virulence in gastric diseases. Clin Biochem, 40, 615-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2007.03.014
- Augusto AC, Miguel F, Mendonca S, et al (2007b). Oxidative stress expression status associated to Helicobacter pylorivirulence in gastric diseases. Clin Biochem, 40, 615-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2007.03.014
- Cerutti PA (1985). Prooxidant states and tumor promotion. Science, 227, 375-81. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.2981433
- Egan KM, Thompson PA, Titus-Ernstoff L, et al (2003). MnSOD polymorphism and breast cancer in a population-based case-control study. Cancer letters, 199, 27-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(03)00349-5
- Fallah M (2007). Cancer Incidence in Five Provinces of Iran: Ardebil, Gilan, Mazandaran, Golestan and Kerman, 1996-2000.
- Humans IWGotEoCRt 1994. Schistosomes, liver flukes and Helicobacter pylori, World Health Organization.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Lin WL, Sun JL, Chang SC, et al (2014). Factors predicting survival of patients with gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5835-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5835
- Macmillan-Crow LA, Cruthirds DL (2001). Manganese superoxide dismutase in disease. Free Radical Res, 34, 325-36. https://doi.org/10.1080/10715760100300281
- Margaret AL, Syahruddin E, Wanandi SI (2011). Low activity of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) in blood of lung cancer patients with smoking history: relationship to oxidative stress. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3049-53.
- Moges F, Kassu A, Mengistu G, et al (2006). Seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori in dyspeptic patients and its relationship with HIV infection, ABO blood groups and life style in a university hospital, Northwest Ethiopia. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 1957. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i12.1957
- Moradi MT (2014). A Novel, efficient, fast and inexpensive DNAextraction protocol from whole blood applicable for studying drug-DNA interaction. J Rep Pharm Sci, 3, 80-4.
- Moradi MT, Hashtchin AR, Yari K (2013). Helicobacter pylori cagA-positive strains: gastric cancer susceptibility. Biharean Biologist, 7, 86-9.
- Shimoda-Matsubayashi S, Matsumine H, Kobayashi T, et al (1996). Structural dimorphism in the mitochondrial targeting sequence in the human manganese superoxide dismutase gene: a predictive evidence for conformational change to influence mitochondrial transport and a study of allelic association in Parkinson's disease. Biochem Biophy Res Commun, 226, 561-5. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1996.1394
- Sun G-G, Hu W-N, Wang Y-D, et al (2012). Bidirectional regulation of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) on the radiosensitivity of esophageal cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3015-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3015
- Sun G-G, Wang Y-D, Lu Y-F, et al (2013). Different association of manganese superoxide dismutase gene polymorphisms with risk of prostate, esophageal, and lung cancers: evidence from a meta-analysis of 20,025 subjects. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1937-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1937
- Sutton A, Khoury H, Prip-Buus C, et al (2003). The Ala16Val genetic dimorphism modulates the import of human manganese superoxide dismutase into rat liver mitochondria. Pharmacogenetics, 13, 145-57. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008571-200303000-00004
- Wang S, Wang F, Shi X, et al (2009). Association between manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD Val-9Ala polymorphism and cancer risk-A meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer, 45, 2874-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2009.04.024
- Yari K, Fatemi SSa, Tavallaei M (2010). Optimization of the BoNT/A-Hc expression in recombinant Escherichia coli using the Taguchi statistical method. Biotechnol appl biochem, 56, 35-42. https://doi.org/10.1042/BA20090315
- Zare A, Mahmoodi M, Mohammad K, et al (2013). Survival analysis of patients with gastric cancer undergoing surgery at the Iran cancer institute: a method based on multi-state models. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6369-73. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6369
- Serum 8 Hydroxydeoxyguanosine and Cytotoxin Associated Gene A as Markers for Helicobacter pylori Infection vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5199
- The GPX1 Pro198Leu polymorphism in gastric cancer patients with and without Helicobacter pylori infection vol.39, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13258-017-0594-8
- Association between Polymorphisms of Antioxidant Gene (MnSOD, CAT, and GPx1) and Risk of Coronary Artery Disease vol.2018, pp.2314-6141, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5086869
- Val16Ala Polymorphism and Cancer Risk: Evidence from 33,098 Cases and 37,831 Controls vol.2018, pp.1875-8630, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3061974
- vol.10, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1039/C7MT00348J