- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Milk Production and Income over Feed Costs in Dairy Cows Fed Medium-roasted Soybean Meal and Corn Dried Distiller's Grains with Solubles
- Thanh, Lam Phuoc (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Suksombat, Wisitiporn (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology)
- Received : 2014.09.05
- Accepted : 2014.11.17
- Published : 2015.04.01
The aims of this study were to determine the effects of feeding medium-roasted soybean meal (SBM) and corn dried distiller's grains with solubles (CDDGS) in dairy cows on milk production and income over feed costs. A randomized complete block design experiment was conducted with 24 crossbred multiparous Holstein Friesian dairy cows in early- and mid-lactation. Four dietary treatments were as follows: basal diet without feed substitute (Control), 7.17% dry matter (DM) roasted SBM replaced for concentrate (R-SBM), 11.50% DM CDDGS replaced for concentrate (DDGS), and 3.58% DM roasted SBM plus 5.75% DM CDDGS replaced for concentrate (SB-DG). The roasted SBM was produced using a medium-heated treatment at
Milk Production;Income;Roasted Soybean Meal;Corn Dried Distiller's Grains with Solubles;Dairy Cows
Supported by : Suranaree University of Technology
- Aguilar-Perez, C., J. Ku-Vera, F. Centurion-Castro, and P. C. Garnsworthy. 2009. Energy balance, milk production and reproduction in grazing crossbred cows in the tropics with and without cereal supplementation. Livest. Sci. 122:227-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2008.09.004
- Alexandratos, N. and J. Bruinsma. 2012. World agriculture towards 2030/2050. ESA Working paper No. 12-03. FAO, Rome, Italy.
- Anderson, J. L., D. J. Schingoethe, K. F. Kalscheur, and A. R. Hippen. 2006. Evaluation of dried and wet distillers grains included at two concentrations in the diets of lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 89:3133-3142. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72587-5
- AOAC. 1998. Official Method of Analysis, 16th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, International, Washington DC, USA.
- Boucher, S. E., R. S. Ordway, N. L. Whitehouse, F. P. Lundy, P. J. Kononoff, and C. G. Schwab. 2007. Effect of incremental urea supplementation of a conventional corn silage-based diet on ruminal ammonia concentration and synthesis of microbial protein. J. Dairy Sci. 90:5619-5633. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0012
- Castillo-Lopez, E., T. J. Klopfenstein, S. C. Fernando, and P. J. Kononoff. 2013. In vivo determination of rumen undegradable protein of dried distillers grains with solubles and evaluation of duodenal microbial crude protein flow. J. Anim. Sci. 91:924-934. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5323
- Chen, X. B. 1996. An excel application programme for processing feed digestibility data. User Manual, Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen, UK.
- Chingala, G., J. P. Mtimuni, H. Msiska, T. Gondwe, and F. C. Chigwa. 2013. Milk production performance of Friesian-Holstein cows fed diets containing Medicago sativa, Centrosema pubescens, or groundnut haulms (Arachis hypogaea). Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 45:1485-1488. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-013-0386-3
- Dairy Records Management Systems. DHI Glossary. http://www.drms.org/PDF/materials/glossary.pdf Accessed April Date, 2014.
- Fathi Nasri, M. H., J. France, M. D. Mesgaran, and E. Kebreab. 2008. Effect of heat processing on ruminal degradability and intestinal disappearance of nitrogen and amino acids in Iranian whole soybean. Livest. Sci. 113:43-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.02.017
- Gehman, A. M. and P. J. Kononoff. 2010. Nitrogen utilization, nutrient digestibility, and excretion of purine derivatives in dairy cattle consuming rations containing corn milling coproducts. J. Dairy Sci. 93:3641-3651. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2598
- Goelema, J. O. 1999. Processing of Legume Seeds: Effect on Digestive Behaviour in Dairy Cows. Ph.D. Thesis, Wageningen Agricultural University, City, The Netherlands. Hristov, A. N., M.
- Hanigan, A. Cole, R. Todd, T. A. McAllister, P. M. Ndegwa, and A. Rotz. 2011. Ammonia emissions from dairy farms and beef feedlots: A review. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 91:1-35. https://doi.org/10.4141/CJAS10034
- Janicek, B. N., P. J. Kononoff, A. M. Gehman, and P. H. Doane. 2008. The effect of feeding dried distillers grains plus solubles on milk production and excretion of urinary purine derivatives. J. Dairy Sci. 91:3544-3553. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0777
- Kelzer, J. M., P. J. Kononoff, L. O. Tedeschi, T. C. Jenkins, K. Karges, and M. L. Gibson. 2010. Evaluation of protein fractionation and ruminal and intestinal digestibility of corn milling co-products. J. Dairy Sci. 93:2803-2815. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2460
- Kleinschmit, D. H., J. L. Anderson, D. J. Schingoethe, K. F. Kalscheur, and A. R. Hippen. 2007. Ruminal and intestinal degradability of distillers grains plus solubles varies by source. J. Dairy Sci. 90:2909-2918. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-613
- Masoero, F., A. M. Pulimeno, and F. Rossi. 2005. Effect of extrusion, expansion and toasting on the nutritional value of peas, faba beans and lupins. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 4:177-189. https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2005.177
- NRC. 2001. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle, 7th. Rev. Ed. National Academy Press. Washington DC, USA.
- Orskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 92:499-503. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600063048
- Peterson, S., P. Rezamand, J. E. Williams, W. Price, M. Chanine, and M. A. McGuire. 2012. Effects of dietary betaine on milk yield and milk composition of mid-lactation Holstein dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 95:6557-6562. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-4808
- SAS. 2002. SAS software User's Guide: Version 9.0. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Schingoethe, D. J., K. F. Kalscheur, A. R. Hippen, and A. D. Garcia. 2009. Invited review: The use of distillers products in dairy cattle diets. J. Dairy Sci. 92:5802-5813. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2549
- Shaver, R. D., A. J. Nytes, L. D. Satter, and N. A. Jorgensen. 1986. Influence of amount of feed intake and forage physical form on digestion and passage of prebloom alfalfa hay in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 69:1545-1559. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80571-9
- Sirohi, S. K., T. K. Walli, and R. K. Mohanta. 2011. Comparative evaluation of raw and roasted soybean in lactating crossbred cows. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 43:725-731. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-010-9760-6
- US EPA. 2011. Reactive nitrogen in the United States: An analysis of inputs, flows, consequences, and management options. A report of the EPA science advisory board (EPA-SAB-11-013). EPA, Washington, DC, USA.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wanapat, M., R. Pilajun, and P. Rowlinson. 2013. Effect of carbohydrate source and cottonseed meal level in the concentrate: IV. Feed intake, rumen fermentation and milk production in milking cows. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 45:447-453. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-012-0238-6
- Woods, V. B., A. P. Moloney, and F. P. O'Mara. 2002. The in situ ruminal degradability of concentrate feedstuffs in steers as affected by level of feed consumption and ratio of grass silage to concentrate. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 100:15-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(02)00147-5