- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Genetic Parameters for Linear Type Traits and Milk, Fat, and Protein Production in Holstein Cows in Brazil
- Campos, Rafael Viegas ;
- Cobuci, Jaime Araujo ;
- Kern, Elisandra Lurdes ;
- Costa, Claudio Napolis ;
- McManus, Concepta Margaret
- Received : 2014.04.18
- Accepted : 2014.08.21
- Published : 2015.04.01
The objective of this study was to estimate genetic and phenotypic parameters for linear type traits, as well as milk yield (MY), fat yield (FY) and protein yield (PY) in 18,831 Holstein cows reared in 495 herds in Brazil. Restricted maximum likelihood with a bivariate model was used for estimation genetic parameters, including fixed effects of herd-year of classification, period of classification, classifier and stage of lactation for linear type traits and herd-year of calving, season of calving and lactation order effects for production traits. The age of cow at calving was fitted as a covariate (with linear and quadratic terms), common to both models. Heritability estimates varied from 0.09 to 0.38 for linear type traits and from 0.17 to 0.24 for production traits, indicating sufficient genetic variability to achieve genetic gain through selection. In general, estimates of genetic correlations between type and production traits were low, except for udder texture and angularity that showed positive genetic correlations (>0.29) with MY, FY, and PY. Udder depth had the highest negative genetic correlation (-0.30) with production traits. Selection for final score, commonly used by farmers as a practical selection tool to improve type traits, does not lead to significant improvements in production traits, thus the use of selection indices that consider both sets of traits (production and type) seems to be the most adequate to carry out genetic selection of animals in the Brazilian herd.
Dairy Cattle;Functional Trait;Genetic Correlation;Heritability;Selection
- Forabosco, F., J. H. Jakobsen, and W. F. Fikse. 2009. International genetic evaluation for direct longevity in dairy bulls. J. Dairy Sci. 92: 2338-2347. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1214
- Freitas, A. F., N. M. Teixeira, M. C. Duraes, M. S. Freitas, and R. B. Barra. 2002. Genetic parameters for linear udder traits, final score and milk and fat yields in Holstein. Arq. Bras. Med. Vet. Zootec. 54: 485-491. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-09352002000500006
- Kern, E. L., J. A. Cobuci, C. N. Costa, and C. M. McManus. 2014. Factor analysis of linear type traits and their relation with longevity in Brazilian Holstein cattle. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 27:784-790. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13817
- Lagrotta, M. R., R. F. Euclydes, R. S. Verneque, M. L. Santana Junior, R. J. Pereira, and R. A. Torres. 2010. Relationship between morphological traits and milk yield in Gir breed cows. Pesq. Agropec. Bras. 45:423-429. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-204X2010000400011
- Mark, T. and P. G. Sullivan. 2006. Multiple-trait multiple-country genetic evaluations for udder health traits. J. Dairy Sci. 89: 4874-4885. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72536-X
- Martins, P. C. and A. V. Carneiro. 2012. Brazilian will consume more milk in 2012. In: Anualpec: Yearbook of Brazilian Livestock. FNP - Informa Economics South America. Sao Paulo: FNP, 225-228.
- Campos, R. V., J. A. Cobuci, C. N. Costa, and J. B. Neto. 2012. Genetic parameters for type traits in Holstein cows in Brazil. Rev. Bras. Zootec. 41:2150-2161. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982012001000003
- Cardoso, V. L., J. R. Nogueira, A. E. V. Filho, L. El Faro, and N. C. Lima. 2004. Breeding goals and economic values for pasture based milk production systems in the southeast region of Brazil. Rev. Bras. Zootec. 33:320-327. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982004000200007
- Costa, C. N., J. A. Cobuci, A. A. Valloto, and M. F. Martins. 2011. National summary of Holstein bulls - 2011, Juiz de Fora: Embrapa Dairy Cattle. 40 p. (Series Documents No. 149).
- Costa, J. H. C., M. J. Hotzel, C. Longo, and L. F. Balcao. 2013. A survey of management practices that influence production and welfare of dairy cattle on family farms in southern Brazil. J. Dairy Sci. 96:307-317. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5906
- Daliri, Z., S. H. Hafezian, A. Shad Parvar, and G. Rahimi. 2008. Genetic relationships among longevity, milk production and linear type traits in Iranian Holstein Cattle. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 7:512-515.
- Degroot, B. J., J. F. Keown, L. D. Van Vleck, and E. L. Marotz. 2002. Genetic parameters and responses of linear type, yield traits, and somatic cell scores to divergent selection for predicted transmitting ability for type in Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci. 85:1578-1585. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74227-6
- Esteves, A. M. C., J. A. G. Bergmann, M. C. Duraes, C. N. Costa, and H. M. Silva. 2004. Study of environmental effects on linear type traits in Brazilian Holstein. Arq. Bras. Med. Vet. Zootec. 56:522-528. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-09352004000400014
- Brazil. 2011. Technical regulation of production, identity and quality of refrigerated raw milk. In: BRAZIL. Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply. Normative Instruction No. 62 of Dec. 29, 2011. Federal Official Gazette of Brazil, No. 172, p. 6, Dec. 30, 2011, Section 1. (In Portuguese).
- Campos, R. V. 2012. Genetic Parameters for Linear Type and Yield Traits in Holstein Cows in Brazil. Ph.D. Thesis, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
- Boligon, A. A., P. R. N. Rorato, G. B. B. Ferreira, T. Weber, C. J. Kippert and J. Andreazza. 2005. Heritability and genetic trend for milk and fat yields in holstein herds raised in the state of Rio Grande do Sul. Rev. Bras. Zootec. 34:1512-1518. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982005000500011
- Boldman, K. G., L. A. Kriese, L. D. Van Vleck, C. P., Van Tassell and S. D. Kachman. 1995. A manual for use of MTDFREML: a set of programs to obtain estimates of variances and covariances. ftp://aipl.arsusda.gov/pub/outgoing/mtdfreml/mtdfrman.pdf Accessed May15, 2013.
- McManus, C. and M. G. Saueressig. 1998. Study of linear type traits in Holstein-Friesian cattle in total confinement in the Distrito Federal. Rev. Bras. Zootec. 27:906-915.
- Miglior, F., B. L. Muir, and J. Van Doormaal. 2005. Selection Indices in Holstein cattle of various countries. J. Dairy Sci. 88: 1255-1263. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72792-2
- Misztal, I., T. J. Lawlor, T. H. Short, and P. M. Van Raden. 1992. Multiple-trait estimation of variance components of yield and type traits using an animal model. J. Dairy Sci. 75:544-551. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77791-1
- Perez-Cabal, M. A. and R. Alenda. 2002. Genetic relationships between lifetime profit and type traits in Spanish Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 85:3480-3491. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74437-8
- Perez-Cabal, M. A., C. Garcia C, O. Gonzalez-Recio, and R. Alenda. 2006. Genetic and phenotypic relationships among locomotion type traits, profit, production, longevity, and fertility in Spanish dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 89:1776-1783. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72246-9
- Posadas, M. V., H. H. M. Valdenegro, and F. J. R. Lopez. 2008. Genetic parameters for conformation traits, stayability and milk yield for Holstein dairy cattle in Mexico. Tec. Pecu. Mex. 46:235-248.
- Renno, F. P., C. V. Araujo, J. C. Pereira, M. S. Freitas, R. A. Torres, L. N. Renno, J. A. G. Azevedo, and F. R. Kaiser. 2003. Genetic and phenotypic correlations among type traits and milk yield of Brown Swiss cattle in Brazil. R. Bras. Zootec. 32:1419-1430. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982003000600017
- Rupp, R. and D. Boichard. 1999. Genetic Parameters for clinical mastitis, somatic cell score, production, udder type traits, and milking ease in first lactation Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci. 82:2198-2204. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75465-2
- Sewalem, A., G. J. Kistemaker, F. Miglior, and B. J. Van Doormaal. 2004. Analysis of the relationship between type traits and functional survival in Canadian Holsteins using a Weibull Proportional Hazards Model. J. Dairy Sci. 87:3938-3946. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73533-X
- Short, T. H. and T. J. Lawlor. 1992. Genetic parameters of conformation traits, milk yield, and herd life in Holstein. J. Dairy Sci.75: 1978-1998.
- Silva, D. A. R.,C. J. Olivo, B. C. Campos, T. M. Tejkowski, G. R. Meinerz, A. G. F. Saccol and S. T. da Costa. 2011. Milk production of Holstein cows in small, medium and large size. Cienc. Rural. 41:501-506. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-84782011000300023
- Simianer, H., H. Solbu, and L. R. Schaeffer. 1991. Estimated genetic correlations between disease and yield traits in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 74:4358-4365. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78632-3
- Valotto, A. A. and G. R. Neto. 2010. Holstein breed modernizes and updates the evaluation system of the conformation of cows (type classification). http://www.gadoholandes.com.br Accessed March 16, 2013.
- Vanraden, P. M. 2004. Invited review: Selection on net merit to improve lifetime profit. J. Dairy Sci. 87:3125-3131. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73447-5
- Wenceslau, A. A., P. S. Lopes, R. L. Teodoro, R. S. Verneque, R. F. Euclydes, W. J. Ferreira, and M. A. Silva. 2000. Estimate of genetic parameters of conformation traits, milk production and age at first calving in dairy Gyr breed cows. Rev. Bras. Zootec. 29:153-158. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982000000100021
- Multiple criteria decision-making process to derive consensus desired genetic gains for a dairy cattle breeding objective for diverse production systems vol.100, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-11454