- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Survey Data on South Korea Boar Stud Practices
한국의 돼지 인공수정센터 현황 분석
- Sa, Soo-Jin (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Woo, Jae-Seok (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Hong, Joon-Ki (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Ki-Hyun (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Du-Wan (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Yong-Min (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Hyun-Sik (Korea Swine Gene Association) ;
- Kim, Si-Joo (Korea Swine Gene Association) ;
- Chung, Ki-Hwa (Dept. of Animal Material Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Cho, Eun-Seok (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- 사수진 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 우제석 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 홍준기 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김기현 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김두완 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김용민 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 박현식 (한국돼지유전자협회) ;
- 김시주 (한국돼지유전자협회) ;
- 정기화 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과) ;
- 조은석 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원)
- Received : 2015.09.22
- Accepted : 2015.09.24
- Published : 2015.09.30
The aim of this study is to examine current status of swine AI and boar stud in South Korea using survey and data analysis. This survey included 48 boar studs registered as 'semen processing business'. The survey data were collected by direct visitation, FAX and/or telephone conversation for 7 months from June through December in 2013. 48 boar studs owned a total of 3,537 boars and the Duroc breed accounted for the highest rate (75.3%) of all boar breeds. In case of ownership, agricultural management corporations was the highest (50.0%) and followed by individual ownership (33.3%). Large-scale boar studs in terms of own over 151 boar were surveyed as 4.2% and most boar studs owned less than 100 boars (77.1%). The amount of liquid semen provided by 48 boar studs were 1,889,000 doses and each boar stud provided average of 39,000 does, which is represented for 90% consumption by sows in South Korea.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- 김인철. 2005. 돼지 인공수정 현황과 발전방안. 농촌진흥청 축산연구소. pp 8-25.
- 김인철, 사수진, 강권, 김상현, 배상종, 김대실, 김시주, 민찬식, 손중호, 정기화. 2011. 한국의 돼지 인공수정 현황. 한국동물번식학회지. 35:227-232.
- 정기화, 김상현, 강권, 배상종, 김대실, 김시주, 김연수, 사수진, 김인철. 2009. 돈방과 스톨의 사육장소에 따른 정액 성상 비교. The 9th International Symposium on Developmental Biotechnology. p82.
- 정기화, 김인철, 사수진, 김상현. 2010. 돼지 인공수정 주입용 최소정자수 설정. The 10th International Symposium on Developmental Biotechnology. p110.
- Boe-Hansen GB, Christensen P, Vibierg D, Nielsen MB and Hedeboe AM. 2008. Sperm chromatin structure integrity in liquid stored semen and its relationship with field fertility. Theriogenology. 69(6):728-736. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2007.12.004
- McLaren DG, Bovey M. 1992. Genetic influences on reproductive performances. Vet. Clin. North Am. Food Anim. Pract. 8(3):435-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-0720(15)30697-6
- Rodriguez-Gil JE and Estrada E. 2013. Artificial insemination in boar reproduction. In: Bonet S, Casa I, Holt WV, Yeste M. (Eds.), Boar Reproduction. Fundamentals and New Biotechnological Tredns. Springer, Heidelberg, Berlin, pp. 589-607.
- Singleton WL. 2001. State of the art in artificial insemination of pigs in the united states. Theriogenology. 56:1305-1310. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(01)00631-8
- Knox R, Levis D, Safranski T and Singleton W. 2008. An update on north america boar stud practices. Theriogenology. 70:1202-1208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2008.06.036