- Volume 15 Issue 2
Response estimation at unmeasured locations using the limited number of measurements is an attractive topic in the field of structural health monitoring (SHM). Because of increasing complexity and size of civil engineering structures, measuring all structural responses from the entire body is intractable for the SHM purpose; the response estimation can be an effective and practical alternative. This paper investigates a response estimation technique based on the Kalman state estimator to combine multi-sensor data under non-zero mean input excitations. The Kalman state estimator, constructed based on the finite element (FE) model of a structure, can efficiently fuse different types of data of acceleration, strain, and tilt responses, minimizing the intrinsic measurement noise. This study focuses on the effects of (a) FE model error and (b) combinations of multi-sensor data on the estimation accuracy in the case of non-zero mean input excitations. The FE model error is purposefully introduced for more realistic performance evaluation of the response estimation using the Kalman state estimator. In addition, four types of measurement combinations are explored in the response estimation: strain only, acceleration only, acceleration and strain, and acceleration and tilt. The performance of the response estimation approach is verified by numerical and experimental tests on a simply-supported beam, showing that it can successfully estimate strain responses at unmeasured locations with the highest performance in the combination of acceleration and tilt.
response estimation;Kalman filter;data fusion;model error;non-zero mean input
- Bavdekar, V.A., Anjali, P.D. and Sachin, C.P. (2011), "Identification of process and measurement noise covariance for state and parameter estimation using Extended Kalman Filter", J. Process Contr., 21(4), 585-601. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jprocont.2011.01.001
- Cho, S., Sim, S.-H., Park, J.W. and Lee, J. (2014), "Extension of indirect displacement estimation method using acceleration and strain to various types of beam structures", Smart Struct. Syst., 14(4), 699-718. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Gresil, M., Yu, L., Shen, Y. and Giurgiutiu, V. (2013), "Predictive model of fatigue crack detection in thick bridge steel structures with piezoelectric wafer active sensors", Smart Struct. Syst., 12(2), 97-119. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.2.097
- Fatemi, A. and Yang, L. (1998), "Cumulative fatigue damage and life prediction theories: a survey of the state of the art for homogeneous materials", Int. J. Fatigue., 20(1), 9-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(97)00081-9
- Hjelm, H.P., Brincker, R., Graugaard-Jensen, J. and Munch, K. (2005), "Determination of stress histories in structures by natural input modal analysis", Proceedings of the 23rd Conference and Exposition on Structural Dynamics (IMACXXIII), Orlando, Florida, USA, February.
- Iliopoulos, A.N., Devriendt, C., Iliopoulos, S.N. and Van Hemelrijck, D. (2014), "Continuous fatigue assessment of offshore wind turbines using a stress prediction technique", Proc. of SPIE, Health Monitoring of Structural and Biological Systems 2014,Vol. 9064 90640S-1,San Diego, California, USA, March.
- Jo, H. (2013), Multi-scale structural health monitoring using wireless smart sensors, PhD dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Jo, H., and Spencer, B.F. (2014), "Multi-Metric model based structure health monitoring", Proc. of SPIE, Sensors and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical, and Aerospace Systems 2014, San Diego, California, USA, March.
- Kalman, R.E. (1960), "A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problem", J. Basic Engg., 82(1), 35-45. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3662552
- Li, H.N., Yi, T.H., Ren, L., Li, D.S. and Huo, L.S. (2014), "Reviews on innovations and applications in structural health monitoring for infrastructures", Struct. Monit. Maint., 1(1), 1-45.
- Lourens, E., Papadimitriou, C., Gillijns, S., Reynders, E., Roeck, G.D. and Lombaert, G. (2012), "Joint input-response estimation for structural systems based on reduced-order models and vibration data from a limited number of sensors", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 29, 310-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2012.01.011
- Miner, M.A. (1945), "Cumulative damage in fatigue", J. Appl. Mech. - T ASME, 12(3), 159-164.
- Palmgren, A. (1924), "Die Lebensdauer von Kugallagern," VDI-Zeitschrift., 68(14), 339-341.
- Papadimitriou, C., Fritzen, C.P., Kraemer, P. and Ntotsios, E. (2009), "Fatigue lifetime estimation in structures using ambient vibration measurements", Proceedings of the ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Rhodes, Greece, June.
- Papadimitriou, C., Fritzen, C.P., Kraemer, P. and Ntotsios, E. (2010), "Fatigue predictions in entire body of metallic structures from a limited number of vibration sensors using Kalman filtering", Struct. Control Health Monit., 18(5), 554-573.
- Park, J.W., Sim, S.-H., and Jung, H.J. (2013), "Displacement estimation using multimetric data fusion", IEEE T. Mech. - ASME., 18(6), 1675-1682. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2013.2275187
- Park, J.W., Sim, S.-H. and Jung, H.J. (2014), "Wireless displacement sensing system for bridges using multi-sensor fusion", Smart Mater. Struct., 23(4), 045022. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/23/4/045022
- Shimokawa, T. and Tanaka S. (1980), "A statistical consideration of Miner's rule", Int. J. Fatigue., 2(4), 165-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-1123(80)90044-4
- Smyth, A. and Wu, M. (2007), "Multi-rate Kalman filtering for the data fusion of displacement and acceleration response measurements in dynamic system monitoring", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 21(2), 706-723. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2006.03.005
- Soman, R.N., Onoufriou, T., Kyriakides, M.A., Votsis, R.A. and Chrysostomou, C.Z. (2014), "Multi-type, multi-sensor placement optimization for structural health monitoring of long span bridges", Smart Struct. Syst., 14(1), 55-70. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.1.055
- Wieghaus, K.T., Hurlebaus, S. and Mander, J.B. (2014), "Effectiveness of strake installation for traffic signal structure fatigue mitigation", Struct Monit. Maint., 1(4), 393-409.
- Yazid, E., Mohd, S.L., and Setyamartan, P. (2012),"Time-varying spectrum estimation of offshore structure response based on a time-varying autoregressive model", J. Appl. Sci., 12(23), 2383-2389. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2012.2383.2389
- Zhou, Y.E. (2006), "Assessment of bridge remaining fatigue life through field strain measurement", J. Bridge Eng. - ASCE., 11(6), 737-744. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2006)11:6(737)
- 1. Kalman Filter-based Data Recovery in Wireless Smart Sensor Network for Infrastructure Monitoring vol.20, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.12989/sss.2015.15.2.489
- 2. Dynamic strain estimation for fatigue assessment of an offshore monopile wind turbine using filtering and modal expansion algorithms vol.76-77, 2016, doi:10.12989/sss.2015.15.2.489
- 3. Reconstruction of Unmeasured Strain Responses in Bottom-fixed Offshore Structures by Multimetric Sensor Data Fusion vol.188, 2017, doi:10.12989/sss.2015.15.2.489
- 4. Structural damage identification via response reconstruction under unknown excitation vol.24, pp.8, 2017, doi:10.12989/sss.2015.15.2.489
- 5. Model-Based Heterogeneous Data Fusion for Reliable Force Estimation in Dynamic Structures under Uncertainties vol.17, pp.11, 2017, doi:10.12989/sss.2015.15.2.489
연구 과제번호 : Development of active-controlled tidal stream generation technology
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries