- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on Sound Quality of Exhaust Tail-pipe Noise of Vehicle
차량 배기토출음 음질분석에 대한 연구
- Received : 2014.09.30
- Accepted : 2015.02.09
- Published : 2015.02.20
Recently, creating a signature sound for a brand has become more important in the automotive industry. It is important to remember that the people inside a vehicle are not the only one, who assess the signature sound, exhaust sound has become a more important factor. Most research has used psycho-acoustic parameter to objectively measure the aesthetic qualities of exhaust sound. However, these results do not parallel the results from subjective analysis. Therefore, this research focused on developing a method for objective quantification to assess the aesthetic qualities of exhaust sound in order to help develop a more appealing signature sound. To do so, the actual exhaust sound was synthesized and subjectively assessed at varied frequencies samples of 30 individuals employed at sejong R&D center. The results were analyzed using the science of harmony scale.
Sound Quality;Jury Test;Human Auditory Organs;The Science of Harmony;Psycho-acoustics
- Ambrosino, M., Lubrano, L., Sciacca, F., Giorgi, P. and Ferla, L., 2011, DualMode Sporty Exhaust Development, SAE, 2011-01-0926.
- Lee, S. M. and Lee, S. K., 2013, Psychoacoustical Analysis and Application of Electroencepthalography (EEG) to the Sound Quality Analysis for Acceleration Sound of a Passenger Car, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 258~266. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2013.23.3.258
- Fuhrmann, B., Garcia, P. and Wiemeler, D., 2006, Exhaust System Sounds, SAE, 2006-01-1372.
- Hiscutt, P. and Ishikawa, S., 2008, Development of Exhaust Sound Quality on Aston Martin V8 Vantage, SAE, 2008-01-0895.
- Jo, B. O., Lee, S. K., Park, D. C., Lee, M. S., and Jung, S. G., 2006, New Development of Two-dimensional Sound Quality Index for Brand Sound in Passanger Cars, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 16, No 5, pp. 457~469. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2006.16.5.457
- Zwicker, E. and Fastl, H., 1999, Psychoacoustics: Facts and Models, Springer, New York.
- Juan, G. and Roederer, 2001, The Physics and Psychophysics of Music: An Introduction, Springer, New York.
- Kim, E. Y., Lee, Y. J. and Lee, S. K., 2012, Design of Sound Quality Index for Laser Printers and Its Application for Improvement Study, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering. Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 509~523. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2012.22.6.509
- Jeong, J. E., Yang, I. H., Fawazi, N., Jeong, U. C., Lee, J. Y. and Oh, J. E., 2012, Sound Quality Evaluation for Laundry Noise by a Virtual Laundry Noise Considering the Effect of Various Noise Sources in a Drum Washing Machine, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering. Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 564~573. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2012.22.6.564
- Lee, J. K., Cho, T. H., Seo, D. W., Lim, Y. S. and Won, K. M., 2012, A Development of Sound Quality Index of Intake and Exhaust System for High Quality Improvement of Luxury Vehicle, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 234~243. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2012.22.3.234
- Kida, S., Namekawa, K. and Mochida, T., 2006, Development of Exhaust Sound Quality for New Type Cruiser, SAE, 2006-32-0080.
- Lee, C. M. and Kim, D. G., 2009, A Study on Sound Quality Analysis of Exhaust Acoustic Signal of Vehicle, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 11, pp. 1202~1213. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2009.19.11.1202