- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing the Turnover Intention in Long-Term Care Hospital Care Workers
요양병원 요양보호사 이직의도와 관련변인
- Received : 2014.09.02
- Accepted : 2015.01.20
- Published : 2015.01.28
Purpose: This study was to explore the turnover intention and related factors of long-term care for hospital care workers. Methods: Data were collected from 150 health care workers by structured questionnaires in three different hospitals at K metropolitan city, Korea. Data was analyzed by using PASW (SPSS) 18.0 program with t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and multiple regressions. Results: study shown a negative correlation between turnover intention and self-esteem (r=.24. p=.004), job satisfaction (r=.50, p<.001), organizational commitment (r=59, p<.001), and social support (r=.32, p<.001). Variables of study such as turnover experience, job satisfaction and organizational commitment were revealed 40% of variance in turnover intention. Conclusion: study results suggested that, development program is needed which improve the hospital worker's job satisfaction, organizational commitment and reduces turnover intention for long-term hospital care.
Self-esteem;Job satisfaction;Organizational commitment;Turnover intention;Care workers
- Statistics Korea, 2010.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2013.
- Lee, B. R, A study of the influence of social support on the job satisfaction of care workers, Health and Social Welfare Review, 32(4), 123-150, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2012.32.4.123
- Health Insurance Service, www.nhic.or.kr/nuiterm.611d0884858d73f46e20bbb5b.
- Jang, J. W, A study on the job stress, job satisfaction and turnover intention of care workers, Unpublished master's thesis, Sogang University, Seoul, 2010.
- Lee, E. M, The study of the factors affecting the job movement intention of social workers: Based on the Chungnam province, Unpublished master's thesis, Kongju National University, Cheonan, 2008.
- Wright, T. A, Bonett, D. G, Job satisfaction and psychological well-being as nonadditive predictors of workplace turnover, Journal of Management, 33, 141-160, 2007.
- Kang, Y. S, Choi, Y. J, Park, D. L, Kim, I. J, A study on nurses' self-leadership, self-esteem, and organizational effectiveness, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(2), 143-151, 2010 . https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.2.143
- Yu, H. S, A study on self-esteem and turnover intention of new nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2011.
- Yu, T. Y, Industrial and organization psychology, Sigma Press, 2009.
- Heo, A, Thesis on nurses' work-related stress, job satisfaction charater types and intention of job change, Unpublished master's thesis, Yeongnam University, Kyungsang buk-Do, 2011.
- Yoon, J. A, Lee, H. J, Internal marketing, job stress, organizational commitment and turnover intention in nursing organization, Journal Korean Academy Nursing Administration, 13(3), 293-301, 2007.
- Collins, S, Statutory social workers: Stress, job satisfaction, coping, social support and individual differences, British Journal of Social Work, 38, 1173-1193, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcm047
- Stetze, T. A, Stetz, M. C, Bliese, P. D, The importance of self-efficacy in the moderating effects of social support on stressor-strain relationship, Work and Stress, 20(1), 49-59, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678370600624039
- Kim, R. M, A study on the determinants of intent to leave among care workers in long-term care center, Unpublished master's thesis, University of Seoul, Seoul, 2010.
- Lee, J. H, Effects of professionalism and job stress on turnover intention in care helpers, Unpublished master's thesis, HanYang University, Seoul, 2011.
- Becker, T. E, Foci and bases of commitment: Are they distinctions worth making, Academy of Management Journal, 35(1), 232-244, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/256481
- Rosenberg, M, Society and the adolescent self-image, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- Jon, B. J, Self-esteem: A test of its measurability, Yonsei Journal, 11(1), 107-130, 1974.
- Smith, P. C, Kendall, L. M, Hulin, C. L, The measurement of satisfaction in work and retirement, Chicago: Rand McNally, 1969.
- Lee, H. J, A study on the determinants of job satisfaction of social workers in social service agencies for the elderly, Stress Research, 16(4), 317-324, 2008.
- Mowday, R. T, Streers, R. M, Porter, L. W, The managemant of organizational commitment, Vocational Behavior, 14, 224-247, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
- Kim. K. J, An empirical study on the turnover decision process model, Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 1986.
- Kim, H. J, Lee, H. R, Choi, S. O, Resilience to burnout, self-esteem and turnover intention of nurses in long-term care hospitals, Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 15(3), 218-226, 2013.
- Park, S. M, Park, O. I, Moon, H, The effect of the emotional intelligence on the relationship between emotional labor and turnover intention of the general hospital nurses, 33(3), Health and Social Welfare Review, 540-564, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2013.33.3.540
- Kim, M. R, Influential factors on turnover intention of nurses: The effect of nurses's organizational commitment and carrer commitment to turnover intention, Journal Korean Academy Nursing Administration, 13(3), 335-344, 2007.
- Lee, S. H, Impact on the job satisfaction of the turnover of caregivers with disabilities, Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 2013.
- Nam, M. H, Kwon, Y. C, The relationship between better life index, nursing performance and intents to leave among hospital nurses, The Society of Digital & Management, 10(9), 417-427, 2012.
- Park, I. S, The effects of group art therapy on depression& self-esteem of children in welfare facilities, Korean Journal of Arts Therapy, 16(1), 29-42, 2006.
- Kim, R. M, Study on the determinants of intent to leave among care works in long-term care center, Unpublished master's thesis, University of Seoul, 2010.