- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Antecedents of Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The Mediating Role of Leader-member Exchange
조직시민행동의 선행요인에 관한 연구: LMX의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Lee, Ung Hee (Management Support Team, Korea Industrial Complex Corp.) ;
- Kim, Hye Kyoung (Occupational Education Studies, Oklahoma State University)
- Received : 2014.11.06
- Accepted : 2015.01.20
- Published : 2015.01.28
The main purpose of this study was to find antecedents of organizational citizenship behavior(OCB) and to investigate the mediating role of leader-member exchange(LMX). This study categorized the factors that influence OCB and LMX into individual(distributive and procedural justice), group(transformational leadership and team empowerment), and organizational levels(complexity). A total of 773 cases were used in this study, which were collected in one of industrial complexes. The research participants were any employees who participated in their work by collaborating with their co-workers. This study found that procedural justice, transformational leadership, and team empowerment had positive influences on OCB, and distributive justice, procedural justice, transformational leadership, team empowerment, and complexity significantly influenced LMX. Moreover, LMX played a mediating role in the relationship between each of the five input variables and OCB.
- Organ, D., Organizational citizenship behavior: The good solider syndrome. Lexington, USA: Lexington Books; 1988.
- Moorman, R.H., Relationship between organizational justice and organizational citizenship behaviours: Do fairness perceptions influence employee citizenship? Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 76, No. 6, pp. 845-855, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.76.6.845
- Organ, D.W., & Lingl, A., Personality, satisfaction, and organizational citizenship behavior. Journal of Social Psychology, Vol. 135, No. 3, pp. 339-350, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224545.1995.9713963
- Karriker J.H., & Williams, M.L., Organizational justice and organizational citizenship behavior: A mediated multifoci model. Journal of Management, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 112-135, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206307309265
- Greenberg, J., A taxonomy of organizational justice theories. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 12, pp. 9-22, 1987.
- Tepper, B., & Taylor, E., Relationships among supervisors' and subordinates' procedural justice perceptions and organizational citizenship behaviors. Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 97-105, 2003.
- Robinson, S.L., & Morrison, E.W., Psychological contracts and OCB: The effect of unfulfilled obligations on civic virtue behavior. Journal of Organizational behavior, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 289-298, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030160309
- Bass, B.M., & Avolio, B.J., The implications of transactional and transformational leadership for individual, team, and organizational development. Research in Organizational Change and Development, Vol. 4, pp. 231-27, 1990.
- Koh, W.L., & Steers, R.M., and Berborg, J.R., The Effects of Transformational Leadership on Teacher Attitudes & Student Performance in Singapore. Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.16, pp. 319-333, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030160404
- Somech, A., Teachers' personal and team empowerment and their relations to organizational outcomes: contradictory or compatible constructs? Educational Administration Quarterly, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 237-266, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013161X04269592
- Crow, G.M., & Pounder, D.G., Interdisciplinary teacher teams: Context, design, and process. Educational Administration Quarterly, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 216-254, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013161X00362004
- Bogler, R., & Somech, A., Influence of teacher empowerment on teachers' organizational commitment, professional commitment and organizational citizenship behavior in schools. Teaching and teacher education, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 277-289, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2004.02.003
- Adler, P.S., & Borys, B., Two types of bureaucracy: Enabling and coercive. Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 61-89, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393986
- Organ, D.W., Podsakoff, P.M., & MacKenzie, S.B., Organizational citizenship behavior: Its nature, antecedents, and consequences. Thousand Oaks, USA: Sage; 2006.
- Nasurdin, A.M., Ramayah, T. & Beng, Y.C., Organizational structure and organizational climate as potential predictors of job stress: evidence from Malaysia. International Journal of Commerce and Management, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 116-129, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1108/10569210680000211
- Tata, J., & Prasad, S., Team self-management, organizational structure, and judgments of team effectiveness. Journal of Managerial Issues, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 248-265, 2004.
- Chung, B.K., & Oh, W.H., A study on the effects of organizational characteristics and individual characteristics on organizational citizenship behavior (OCB) focused on the government sponsored research institutes. CNU Journal of Management and Economics, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 213-237, 2002.
- Liden, R.C., & Graen, G., Generalizability of the vertical dyad linkage model of leadership. Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 23, pp. 451-465, 1980. https://doi.org/10.2307/255511
- Graen, G., & Ginsburgh, S., Job resignation as a function of role orientation and leader acceptance: A longitudinal investigation of organizational assimilation. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 1-17, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(77)90051-4
- Graen, G., Role-making processes and university administration. Final Report, National Inst. of Education (DHEW) Washington DC, USA; pp. 1-81, 1976.
- Blau, P., Exchange and power in social life. New York, USA: John Wiley; 1964.
- McAllister, D.J., Affect-and cognition-based trust as foundations for interpersonal cooperation in organizations. Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 24-59, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/256727
- Gouldner, A.W., The norm of reciprocity: A preliminary statement. American Sociological Review, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 161-178, 1960. https://doi.org/10.2307/2092623
- Colquitt, J.A., Conlon, D.E., Wesson, M.J., Porter, C.O.L.H., & Ng, K.Y., Justice at the millennium: A meta-analytic review of 25 years of organizational justice research. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 86, No. 3, pp. 425-445, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.3.425
- Howell, J.M., & Hall-Merenda, K.E., The ties that bind: The impact of leader-member exchange, transformational and transactional leadership, and distance on predicting follower performance. Journal of applied psychology, Vol. 84, No. 5, pp. 680-694, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.84.5.680
- Cropanzano, R., Prehar, C.A., & Chen, P.Y., Using social exchange theory to distinguish procedural from interactional justice. Group and Organization Management, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 324-351, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601102027003002
- Townsend, J.C., Silva, N.D., Mueller, L., Curtin, P., & Tetrick, L.E., Attributional complexity: A link between training, job complexity, decision latitude, leader-member exchange, and performance. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 207-221, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2002.tb01427.x
- Kang, D.S., The impact of organizational justice, leader-member exchange (LMX) quality, and psychological empowerment on service-oriented organizational citizenship behaviors (OCBs) [Dissertation]. [Seoul, Korea]: Sungkyunkwan University; 2004.
- Konovsky, M.A., & Pugh, S.D., Citizenship behavior and social exchange. Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 37, pp. 656-669, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/256704
- Rupp, D.E., & Cropanzano, R., The mediating effects of social exchange relationships in predicting workplace outcomes from multifoci organizational justice. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Process, Vol. 89, No. 1, pp. 925-947, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-5978(02)00036-5
- Bass, D.M., Leadership: Good, better, best. Organizational Dynamics, Vol. 13, No. 3, p. 26-40, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(85)90028-2
- Thomas, K.W., & Velthouse, B.A., Cognitive elements of empowerment: An interpretive model of intrinsic task motivation. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 666-681, 1990. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1990.4310926
- Aiken, M., & Hage, J., The organic organization and innovation, Vol. 5, pp. 63-82, 1971. https://doi.org/10.1177/003803857100500105
- Scandura, R.A., & Graen, G.B., Moderating effects of initial leader-member exchange status on the effects of a leadership intervention. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 69, No. 3, pp. 428-436, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.3.428
- O'Brien, R. M., A caution regarding rules of thumb for variance inflation factors. Quality & Quantity, Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 673-690, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-006-9018-6
- Miles, J.N.V., & Shevlin, M.E., Applying regression and correlation: A guide for students and researchers. London: Sage, 2001.
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D.F., Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Joreskog, K.G., & Sobom, D., LISREL 8: User's reference guide [computer software manual]. Chicago, USA: Scientific Software International, 1993.
- Lawrence, P.R., & Lorsch, J.W., Differentiation and integration in complex organizations. Administrative science quarterly, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 1-47, 1967. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391211
- Stamper, C.L., & Dyne, L.V., Work status and organizational citizenship behavior: A field study of restaurant employees. Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 517-536, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.100
- Finkelstein, M.A., Dispositional predictors of organizational citizenship behavior: Motives, motive fulfillment, and role identity. Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal, Vol. 34, No. 6, pp. 603-616, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2006.34.6.603