- Volume 5 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Optimization of Luffing-Tower Crane Location in Tall Building Construction
- Lee, Dongmin (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Lim, Hyunsu (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Cho, Hunhee (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Kang, Kyung-In (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University)
- Published : 2015.12.01
The luffing-tower crane (T/C) is a key facility used in the vertical and horizontal transportation of materials in a tall building construction. Locating the crane in an optimal position is an essential task in the initial stages of construction planning. This paper proposes a new optimization model to locate the luffing T/C in the optimal position to minimize the transportation time. A newly developed mathematical formula is suggested to calculate the transportation time of luffing T/C correctly. An optimization algorithm, the Harmony Search (HS) algorithm, was used and the results show that HS has high performance characteristics to solve the optimization problem in a short period of time. In a case study, the proposed model offered a better position for T/C than the previous heuristic approach.
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport
- S. Alkass, M. Alhussein, and O. Moselhi, "Computerized crane selection for construction projects," Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. Association of Researchers in Construction Management, vol. 2, pp. 427-36, 1997.
- A. Sawhney and A. Mund, "IntelliCranes: an integrated crane type and model selection system," Construction Management and Economics, vol. 19, pp. 227-237, 2001/03/01 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446190010008079
- J. Irizarry and E. P. Karan, "Optimizing location of tower cranes on construction sites through GIS and BIM integration," Journal of Information Technology in Construction (itcon), vol. 17, pp. 351-366, 2012.
- W. Rodriguez-Ramos and R. Francis, "Single Crane Location Optimization," Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 109, pp. 387-397, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(1983)109:4(387)
- P. Zhang, F. C. Harris, P. Olomolaiye, and G. D. Holt, "Location optimization for a group of tower cranes," Journal of construction engineering and management, vol. 125, pp. 115-122, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(1999)125:2(115)
- C. T. Tam, Thomas K.L; Chan Wilson K.W, "Genetic Algorithm for Optimizing Supply Locations around Tower Crane," Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 127, pp. 315-321, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2001)127:4(315)
- C. Tam and T. K. Tong, "GA-ANN model for optimizing the locations of tower crane and supply points for high-rise public housing construction," Construction Management and Economics, vol. 21, pp. 257-266, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144619032000049665
- C. Huang, C. K. Wong, and C. M. Tam, "Optimization of tower crane and material supply locations in a high-rise building site by mixed-integer linear programming," Automation in Construction, vol. 20, pp. 571-580, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2010.11.023
- M. A. Abdelmegid, K. M. Shawki, and H. Abdel-Khalek, "GA optimization model for solving tower crane location problem in construction sites," Alexandria Engineering Journal, 2015.
- Z. W. Geem, J. H. Kim, and G. Loganathan, "A new heuristic optimization algorithm: harmony search," Simulation, vol. 76, pp. 60-68, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/003754970107600201