- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Food allergy knowledge, perception of food allergy labeling, and level of dietary practice: A comparison between children with and without food allergy experience
- Choi, Yongmi (Department of Nutrition Education, Graduate School of Education, Dankook University) ;
- Ju, Seyoung (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Chang, Hyeja (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University)
- Received : 2014.07.24
- Accepted : 2014.10.21
- Published : 2015.02.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: The prevalence of food allergies in Korean children aged 6 to 12 years increased from 10.9% in 1995 to 12.6% in 2012 according to nationwide population studies. Treatment for food allergies is avoidance of allergenic-related foods and epinephrine auto-injector (EPI) for accidental allergic reactions. This study compared knowledge and perception of food allergy labeling and dietary practices of students. SUBJECTS/METHODS: The study was conducted with the fourth to sixth grade students from an elementary school in Yongin. A total of 437 response rate (95%) questionnaires were collected and statistically analyzed. RESULTS: The prevalence of food allergy among respondents was 19.7%, and the most common food allergy-related symptoms were urticaria, followed by itching, vomiting and nausea. Food allergens, other than 12 statutory food allergens, included cheese, cucumber, kiwi, melon, clam, green tea, walnut, grape, apricot and pineapple. Children with and without food allergy experience had a similar level of knowledge on food allergies. Children with food allergy experience thought that food allergy-related labeling on school menus was not clear or informative. CONCLUSION: To understand food allergies and prevent allergic reactions to school foodservice among children, schools must provide more concrete and customized food allergy education.
Supported by : Dankook University
- Sicherer SH. Epidemiology of food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011;127:594-602. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2010.11.044
- Gupta RS, Springston EE, Warrier MR, Smith B, Kumar R, Pongracic J, Holl JL. The prevalence, severity, and distribution of childhood food allergy in the United States. Pediatrics 2011;128:e9-17. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-0204
- Goossens NJ, Flokstra-de Blok BM, van der Meulen GN, Botjes E, Burgerhof HG, Gupta RS, Springston EE, Smith B, Duiverman EJ, Dubois AE. Food allergy knowledge of parents - is ignorance bliss? Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2013;24:567-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/pai.12099
- Lee SY. IgE mediated food allergy in Korean children: focused on plant food allergy. Asia Pac Allergy 2013;3:15-22. https://doi.org/10.5415/apallergy.2013.3.1.15
- Lee AH, Kim KE, Lee KE, Kim SH, Wang TW, Kim KW, Kwak TK. Prevalence of food allergy and perceptions on food allergen labeling in school foodservice among Korean students. Allergy Asthma Respir Dis 2013;1:227-34. https://doi.org/10.4168/aard.2013.1.3.227
- Park JY, Park GY, Han YS, Shin MY. Survey of food allergy in elementary school children in Bucheon-city and relationship between food allergy and other allergic diseases. Allergy Asthma Respir Dis 2013;1:266-73. https://doi.org/10.4168/aard.2013.1.3.266
- Gupta RS, Springston EE, Kim JS, Smith B, Pongracic JA, Wang X, Holl J. Food allergy knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs of primary care physicians. Pediatrics 2010;125:126-32. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-1116
- Taylor SL, Hefle SL. Food allergies and other food sensitivities. Food Technol 2001;55:68-83.
- Sampson HA, Munoz-Furlong A, Campbell RL, Adkinson NF Jr, Bock SA, Branum A, Brown SG, Camargo CA Jr, Cydulka R, Galli SJ, Gidudu J, Gruchalla RS, Harlor AD Jr, Hepner DL, Lewis LM, Lieberman PL, Metcalfe DD, O'Connor R, Muraro A, Rudman A, Schmitt C, Scherrer D, Simons FE, Thomas S, Wood JP, Decker WW. Second symposium on the definition and management of anaphylaxis: summary report--second National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease/ Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network symposium. Ann Emerg Med 2006;47:373-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2006.01.018
- Ahn K. Food allergy: diagnosis and management. Korean J Asthma Allergy Clin Immunol 2011;31:163-9.
- Lee SY, Kim KW, Ahn K, Kim HH, Pyun BY, Park YM, Kim KE. Consumer's use and satisfaction of allergic food labels. Pediatr Allergy Respir Dis 2011;21:294-301. https://doi.org/10.7581/pard.2011.21.4.294
- Han YS, Jang EY, Yoon J, Jung JI, Go SH, Lee HY. Food allergymanual for education and school meal management. Seoul: Seoul Metropolitan Government Food Safety Task Force Team; 2010.
- Ministry of Education. Law for School Feeding No. 3 Stat. 16 Mandatory notice of foods containing allergenic ingredients in school meals (May. 22, 2013) .
- The treatment in school of children who have food allergies. Committee report from the Adverse Reactions to Food Committee of the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1991;87:749-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-6749(91)90399-9
- Anaphylaxis in schools and other childcare settings. AAAAI Board of Directors. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1998;102:173-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(98)70082-X
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on School Health: Guidelines for urgent care in school. Pediatrics 1990;86:999-1000.
- Young MC, Munoz-Furlong A, Sicherer SH. Management of food allergies in schools: a perspective for allergists. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009;124:175-82, 182.e1-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2009.04.004
- Park EJ. Study on level of perception and execution about food allergy in Seoul district school meal services [MS Thesis]. Seoul: Kyunghee University; 2012.
- Kim S, Yoon J, Kwon S, Kim J, Han Y. Current status of managing food allergies in schools in Seoul, Korea. J Child Health Care 2012;16:406-16. https://doi.org/10.1177/1367493512448128
- Seoul Metropolitan Government Food Safety Task Force Team. Food allergy training and foodservice management manual. Seoul: Seoul Metropolitan Government Food Safety Task Force Team; 2010.
- Kim YJ. Comparison of the perception for food allergy between nutrition teachers and children in elementary and middle school [MS Thesis]. Seoul: Jungang University; 2010.
- Yoon HS. Immediate type reaction of food allergy. Allergy Asthma Respir Dis 1992;12:5-12.
- Yang SH, Kim EJ, Kim YN, Seong KS, Kim SS, Han CK, Lee BH. Comparison of eating habits and dietary intake patterns between people with and without allergy. Korean J Nutr 2009;42:523-35. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.6.523
- Han JS, Hong SO, Kim JS, Han JP, Kim NS. Frequency of food allergy in Korea and the causative food allergens. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 1997;26:1-9.
- Kim MH. A study of change food-intake elementary school children with atopic dermatitis [MS Thesis]. Seoul: Kyunghee University; 2007.
- Skypala I. Adverse food reactions--an emerging issue for adults. J Am Diet Assoc 2011;111:1877-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2011.09.001
- Rance F, Grandmottet X, Grandjean H. Prevalence and main characteristics of schoolchildren diagnosed with food allergies in France. Clin Exp Allergy 2005;35:167-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2005.02162.x
- Taylor SL, Hefle SL, Munoz-Furlong A. Food allergies and avoidance diets. Nutr Today 1999;34:15-22. https://doi.org/10.1097/00017285-199901000-00003
- Lehrer SB, Helbling A, Daul CB. Seafood allergy: prevalence and treatment. J Food Saf 1992;13:61-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4565.1992.tb00095.x
- Kang SY, Min KU. Three cases of buckwheat allergy. J Korean Med Assoc 1984;27:765-8.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Notification No. 2010-97. Food labeling regulation (Dec. 30, 2013).
- Ministry of Education. The manual of school lunch food allergen labeling. Seoul: Ministry of Education; 2012.
- Kim YM, Heo YR, Ro HK. Perception and practices regarding food allergy of elementary and middle school nutritionists in the Jeonnam area. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2014;43:151-61. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.1.151
- Oh JW, Pyun BY, Choung JT, Ahn KM, Kim CH, Song SW, Son JA, Lee SY, Lee SI. Epidemiological change of atopic dermatitis and food allergy in school-aged children in Korea between 1995 and 2000. J Korean Med Sci 2004;19:716-23. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2004.19.5.716
- Son DY, Yoon KR, Lee SI. Study of the most common allergic foods in Korea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2002;34:885-8.
- Seo WH, Jang EY, Han YS, Ahn KM, Jung JT. Management of food allergies in young children at a Child Care Center and Hospital in Korean. Pediatr Allergy Respir Dis 2011;21:32-8. https://doi.org/10.7581/pard.2011.21.1.32
- Lim DH. Epidemiology of anaphylaxis in Korean children. Korean J Pediatr 2008;51:351-4. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2008.51.4.351
- Rhim GS, McMorris MS. School readiness for children with food allergies. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2001;86:172-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1081-1206(10)62687-7
- Sicherer SH, Burks AW, Sampson HA. Clinical features of acute allergic reactions to peanut and tree nuts in children. Pediatrics 1998;102:e6. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.102.1.e6
- Perception and practice regarding allergen labeling: focus on food-related employees vol.10, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2016.10.4.424
- Perception on food allergy labelling and management of nutritional education among higher grade elementary school students in Jeju area vol.48, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2015.48.6.530
- Changes of prevalence of food allergy in elementary school student and perception of it in school nutritionist in Korea, 1995~2015 vol.49, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2016.49.1.8
- The past, present, and future of the research on food allergy in Korean children vol.6, pp.Suppl 1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4168/aard.2018.6.S1.S44
- Potential efficacy of processing technologies for mitigating crustacean allergenicity pp.1549-7852, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2018.1471658
- Perception of food allergy among parents and school health instructors: A nationwide survey in 2015 vol.6, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4168/aard.2018.6.2.97
- Food Allergies: Knowledge and Practice among Food Service Workers Operating in Western Romania vol.82, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-18-170