- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors associated with nutrition label use among female college students applying the theory of planned behavior
- Lim, Hyun Jeong (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul Women's University) ;
- Kim, Min Ju (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul Women's University) ;
- Kim, Kyung Won (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul Women's University)
- Received : 2014.09.22
- Accepted : 2014.11.03
- Published : 2015.02.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Use of nutrition labels in food selection is recommended for consumers. The aim of this study is to examine factors, mainly beliefs explaining nutrition label use in female college students based on the Theory of Planned Behavior (TPB). SUBJECTS/METHODS: The subjects were female college students from a university in Seoul, Korea. The survey questionnaire was composed of items examining general characteristics, nutrition label use, behavioral beliefs, normative beliefs, corresponding motivation to comply, and control beliefs. The subjects (n = 300) responded to the questionnaire by self-report, and data from 275 students were analyzed using t-test or
Supported by : Seoul Women's University
- Lee KA, Lee HJ, Park E. The effect of use of nutrition labelling on knowledge and perception of nutrition labelling, and awareness of nutrition labelling usefulness with among college students. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2010;39:253-66. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.2.253
- Ko MS. The comparison in daily intake of nutrients and dietary habits of college students in Busan. Korean J Community Nutr 2007;12:259-71.
- Kim KW, Shin EM. Using the theory of planned behavior to explain dairy food consumption among university female students. Korean J Community Nutr 2003;8:53-61.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. Study for better nutrition labeling system in Korea. The research report of the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (Policy-Food-2001-10). Seoul: Korea Health Industry Development Institute; 2001.
- Jun S. Effects of health-related food labeling on quality assessment before purchase, attitudes towards using and purchasing products, and purchase intentions based on the theory of planned behavior. Consumption Cult Study 2012;15:67-90. https://doi.org/10.17053/jcc.2012.15.3.004
- Kim SY, Lee JH. Effect of nutrition labeling use on consumers' food choices. J Consum Stud 2010;21:107-28.
- Kang HT, Shim JY, Lee YJ, Linton JA, Park BJ, Lee HR. Reading nutrition labels is associated with a lower risk of metabolic syndrome in Korean adults: the 2007-2008 Korean NHANES. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2013;23:876-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2012.06.007
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2012: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-3). Choengwon: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2013.
- Lee KJ, Lee YH. Consumer's recognition and using state about food-nutrition labeling system among twenties. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 2004;14:54-63.
- Yu KH, Kim MJ, Ly SY. A comparison of convenience food purchasing behaviors and food habits: How female college students use nutrition labelings. Korean J Food Nutr 2012;25:1-8. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.1.001
- Walters A, Long M. The effect of food label cues on perceptions of quality and purchase intentions among high-involvement consumers with varying levels of nutrition knowledge. J Nutr Educ Behav 2012;44:350-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2011.08.008
- Ajzen I. The Theory of Planned Behavior. Organ Behav Hum Decis Process 1991;50:179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Montano DE, Kasprzyk D. Theory of reasoned action, and theory of planned behavior. In: Glanz K, Rimer BK, Viswanath K, editors. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 4th ed. San Francisco (CA): Jossey-Bass; 2008. p.70-7.
- Kim K, Reicks M, Sjoberg S. Applying the theory of planned behavior to predict dairy product consumption by older adults. J Nutr Educ Behav 2003;35:294-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1499-4046(06)60343-6
- Kothe EJ, Mullan BA. A randomised controlled trial of a theory of planned behaviour to increase fruit and vegetable consumption. Fresh Facts. Appetite 2014;78:68-75.
- Eto K, Koch P, Contento IR, Adachi M. Variables of the theory of planned behavior are associated with family meal frequency among adolescents. J Nutr Educ Behav 2011;43:525-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2011.05.010
- Zoellner J, Estabrooks PA, Davy BM, Chen YC, You W. Exploring the theory of planned behavior to explain sugar-sweetened beverage consumption. J Nutr Educ Behav 2012;44:172-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2011.06.010
- Kim JE, Park DY. A study on predicting behavioral intention of breastfeeding among primigravida. Korean J Community Nutr 2001;6:331-9.
- Chung J, Kim MJ. Using and understanding of nutrition labels and related factors among female adults in the Seoul area. Korean J Community Nutr 2007;12:417-25.
- Cho SH, Yu HH. Nutrition knowledge, dietary attitudes, dietary habits and awareness of food-nutrition labelling by girl's high school students. Korean J Community Nutr 2007;12:519-33.
- Choi JH, Yi NY. The study of knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of university students regarding nutritional labeling. Korean J Food Nutr 2013;26:391-7. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.3.391
- Ha KH, Moon YJ. Evaluation of acknowledgement for food nutrition labeling in college students. J Korea Contents Assoc 2008;8:291-300. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2008.8.12.291
- Seo S, Kim OY, Shim S. Using the theory of planned behavior to determine factors influencing processed foods consumption behavior. Nutr Res Pract 2014;8:327-35. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2014.8.3.327
- Ko SY, Kim KW. Nutrition label use, self-efficacy, snacking and eating behavior of middle school students in Kyunggi area. Korean J Community Nutr 2010;15:513-24.
- Ahn Y, Kim KW. Beliefs regarding vegetable consumption, selfefficacy and eating behaviors according to the stages of change in vegetable consumption among college students. Korean J Community Nutr 2012;17:1-13. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.1.1
- Lee HY, Kim MK. Dietary behavioral correlates of nutrition label use in Korean women. Korean J Nutr 2008;41:839-50.
- Chang N. Food/nutrition attitudes, views and practices of adults in Seoul area. Korean J Nutr 1997;30:360-9.
- Satia JA, Galanko JA, Neuhouser ML. Food nutrition label use is associated with demographic, behavioral, and psychosocial factors and dietary intake among African Americans in North Carolina. J Am Diet Assoc 2005;105:392-402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2004.12.006
- Mullan B, Wong C, Kothe E. Predicting adolescent breakfast consumption in the UK and Australia using an extended theory of planned behaviour. Appetite 2013;62:127-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.11.021
- Mullan BA, Wong C, Kothe EJ. Predicting adolescents' safe food handling using an extended theory of planned behavior. Food Control 2013;31:454-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2012.10.027
- Nutrition knowledge, outcome expectations, self-efficacy, and eating behaviors by calcium intake level in Korean female college students vol.9, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.5.530
- Eating habits, physical activity, nutrition knowledge, and self-efficacy by obesity status in upper-grade elementary school students vol.10, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2016.10.6.597
- Correlates of nutrition label use among college students and young adults: a review vol.19, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980015003183
- Wellness and academic outcomes among disadvantaged students in South Africa: An exploratory study vol.76, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0017896916650707
- Consumers’ Opinions and Use of Food Labels, Nutrition, and Health Claims: Results from Turkey pp.1540-4102, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/10454446.2017.1266558