- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Acute Viral Hepatitis A with Cholestatic Hepatitis Treated with Traditional Korean Medicine : A Case Report
- Kim, Jun-Young (Dept. of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Joung, Jin-Yong (Dept. of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Kang, Ji-Young (Dept. of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Son, Chang-Gue (Dept. of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Cho, Jung-Hyo (Dept. of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2015.10.31
- Accepted : 2015.12.21
- Published : 2015.12.30
More and more patients suffering from hepatitis A, the number of patients representing symptoms that are uncharacteristic to hepatitis A is also increasing. There are occasions of serious complications among adult hepatitis A patients that can cause fulminant hepatitis or cirrhosis which can be fatal. A 43-year-old male was diagnosed as acute hepatitis A and was treated at a Western hospital over the course of three months, which included two months of hospitalization. However, his symptoms did not improve, so he was admitted to Oriental hospital. We prescribed Chunggan extract (CGX) four times a day. Acupuncture was performed twice a day. From the twenty-fourth day of admission, the total bilirubin fell under 10 mg/dL for the first time and next day he was discharged. Following his discharge, he consistently took CGX three times a day. 21 days after discharge all of his symptoms disappeared. This study demonstrated that traditional Korean medicine (TKM) for acute viral hepatitis with cholestatic hepatitis might be effective and safe with no adverse effects.
- Yun SW, Lee WK, Cho SY, Moon SH, Shin HD, Yun SY, et al. The seroprevalence rate, vaccination rate and seroconversion rate of hepatitis A in central region of Korea. Korean J Gastroenterol. 2011;57(3):166-72. https://doi.org/10.4166/kjg.2011.57.3.166
- Hadler SC, Webster HM, Erben JJ, Swanson JE, Maynard JE. Hepatitis A in day-care centers - a community - wide assessment. N Engl J Med. 1980;302:1222-7. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198005293022203
- Lednar WM, Lemon SM, Kirkpatrick JW, Redfield RR, Fields ML, Kelley PW. Frequency of illness associated with epidemic hepatitis A virus infections in adults. Am J Epidemiol. 1985;122(2):226-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a114093
- Heo JY, Song JY, Noh JY, Seo YB, Ki IS, Choi WS. Low level of immunity against hepatitis A among Korean adolescents : vaccination rate and related factors. Am J Infect Control. 2013;41(10):97-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2012.11.001
- Kwon SY, Park SH, Yeon JE, Jeong SH, Kwon OS, Lee JW, et al. Clinical characteristics and outcomes of acute hepatitis A in Korea: a nationwide multicenter study. J Korean Med Sci. 2014;29(2):248-53. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2014.29.2.248
- Jeong SH, Jeong YM, Kim JS, Lee JH, Lee SH, Kim JW, et al. Study on the atypical features and genotype analysis of hepatitis A in Seongnam: a prospective, multicenter study. Clin Mol Hepatol. 2009;15(3s):105.
- Song KS, Kim JH, Kim YS, Kim MJ, Jang WS, Jang CS, et al. Investigation about atypical clinical courses in patients with acute viral hepatitis A. Clin Mol Hepatol. 2006;12(3s):80.
- Jeong GM, Cho YG, Cho JW, Park SH, Kim IH, Choi CS, et al. Clinical features of cholestatic hepatitis with acute viral hepatitis A in Chunbuk province of Korea: multicenter experience. Clin Mol Hepatol. 2009;15(3s):175.
- Yoo SH, Kim IH, Jang JW, Choi CH, Moon JC, Park JK, et al. Clinical features and risk factors for severe complications among patients with acute hepatitis A virus infection in the Jeonbuk province of Korea. Korean J Gastroenterol. 2014;63(1):25-31. https://doi.org/10.4166/kjg.2014.63.1.25
- Petrov AI, Vatev NT, Atanasova MV. Cholestatic syndrome in viral hepatitis A. Folia Med. 2012;54(1):30-5. https://doi.org/10.2478/v10153-011-0075-9
- Ma X, Wang J, He X, Zhao Y, Wang J, Zhang P, et al. Large dosage of Chishao in formulae for cholestatic hepatitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:328152.
- Son CG. A clinical report of adult acute viral hepatitis type A treated with herbal prescriptions. J Korean Oriental Med. 2007;28(4):13-7.
- Min EK, Wang TC, Kang SW, Jeong SM, Sin HK, Park CK. A case of hepatitis A treated with Gagamsaenggan-tang. J Korean Orient Int Med. 2009;30(1s):164-8.
- Le JE, Heo SJ, Kim HJ, Cho HJ, Kim H. Clinical studies on 5 cases of acute viral hepatitis A treated by oriental medicine. Korean J Oriental Physiol & Pathol. 2009;23(6):1480-5.
- Choi EJ, Song HS, Yoon WY, Yoo JS. A tae-eumin exterior-cold-disease by the cold in the esophagus's case study of diagnosed as acute hepatitis A. J Sasang Constitutional Med. 2009;21(3):216-22.
- Kim DW. Disease pattern identification in oriental medicine and herb medicine treatment for acute hepatitis A with jaundice - case series of 3 patients. Korean J Oriental Physiol & Pathol. 2010;24(4):696-701.
- Roh HO, Sohn YM, Park MS, Choi BY, Bang KN, Ki MR, et al. A seroepidemiologic study of hepatitis A virus in the healthy children and adolescent in Kyonggi-do province. Korean J Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 1997;4(2):232-9.
- Song YB, Lee JH, Choi MS, Koh KC, Park SW, Yoo BC, et al. The age-specific seroprevalence of hepatitis A virus antibody in Korea. Korean J Hepatol. 2007;13(1):27-33.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Statistics of surveillance of hepatitis A. Available from: URL:http://stat.cdc.go.kr
- Park HS, Choi BY, Kwon YD. Rapid increase in the national treatment costs for hepatitis A infections in Korea. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2012;226(1):85-93. https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.226.85
- Lee EJ, Kwon SY, Seo TH, Yun HS, Cho HS, Kim BK, et al. Clinical features of acute hepatitis A in recent two years. Korean J Gastroenterol. 2008;52(5):298-303.
- Jang JY, Yoo BW, Cho YJ, Oh JE, Hong SH, Cho CY. Analysis of the admission characteristics of patients admitted for acute hepatitis A during the last 5 years. J Soonchunhyang Medical Science. 2009;15(1):59-66.
- Kim DH, Park KJ, Kim SH, Cho SB, Lee WS, Park CH, et al. Clinical characteristics of patients with acute hepatitis A in Gwangju -Chonnam province for recent 10 years. Korea J Intern Med. 2007;72(2):131-7.
- Cho JH, Lee YY, Seo SH, Yoo HS, Choi WJ, Lee YW, et al. A clinical report about 57 patients with chronic liver disease. J Korean Oriental Med. 2000;21(4):112-21.
- Kim HG, Kim JM, Han JM, Lee JS, Choi MK, Lee DS, et al. Chunggan extract, a traditional herbal formula, ameliorated alcohol-induced hepatic injury in rat model. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20(42):15703-14. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v20.i42.15703
- Kim HG, Han JM, Lee HW, Lee JS, Son SW, Choi MK, et al. CGX, a multiple herbal drug, improves cholestatic liver fibrosis in a bile duct ligation-induced rat model. J Ethnopharmacol. 2013;145:653-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.12.005
- Zhao H, Hou T, Shao D. Clinical study on treatment of chronic viral cholestatic hepatitis with Chishaodanpi decoction. J Tradit Chin Med. 2014;34(6):646-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(15)30077-7