- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A New Abundance Estimate for the Finless Porpoise Neophocaena asiaeorientalis on the West Coast of Korea: An Indication of Population Decline
- Park, Kyum Joon (Cetacean Research Institute, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Sohn, Hawsun (Cetacean Research Institute, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- An, Yong Rock (Cetacean Research Institute, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Kim, Hyun Woo (Cetacean Research Institute, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- An, Doo Hae (Cetacean Research Institute, National Institute of Fisheries Science)
- Received : 2015.05.06
- Accepted : 2015.10.13
- Published : 2015.12.31
We estimated abundance of the finless porpoise Neophocaena asiaeorientalis in the west coast of Korea in 2011 and compared it to the abundance data estimated by Park et al. (2007). The two researches used same line transect method operated by a vessel, and the study area were divided into the offshore and the inshore regions to assess variations in their abundance. In offshore regions population density of finless porpoises was
Supported by : National Fisheries and Development Institute (NFRDI) of Korea
- Akaike, H. 1985. Prediction and entropy. In: A Celebration of Statistics. Atkinson, A.C. and S.E. Feinberg, eds. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1-24.
- Buckland, ST, Anderson DR, Burnham KP and Laake JL. 1993. Distance sampling. In: Estimating Abundance of Biological Populations. Chapman & Hall, London, reprinted (1999) by Research Unit for Wildlife Population Assessment, St. Andrews, Scotland, pp. 446.
- Buckland, ST, Anderson DR, Burnham KP, Laake JL, Borchers DL and Thomas L. 2001. Introduction to Distance Sampling. Oxford University Press, London.
- Jefferson, TA, Webber MW and Pitman RL. 2003. Marine Mammals of the World: A comprehensive guide to their identification. Academic. London.
- Kasuya T and Kureha K. 1979. The population of finless porpoise in the Inland Sea of Japan. Sci Rep Whales Res Inst 31, 1-44.
- Kasuya, T, Yamamoto Y and Iwatsuki T. 2002. Abundance decline in the finless porpoise population in the Inland Sea of Japan. Raffles Bull Zoo Suppl 10, 57-65.
- Kim DN, Sohn H, An YR, Park KJ, Kim HW, Ahn SE and An DH. 2013. Status of cetacean bycatch near Korean waters. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 46, 892-900. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2013.0892
- Kim HW, Kim YH, An YR, Park KJ and An DH. 2014. Seabird distribution patterns by strip transect in the Yellow Sea in spring. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 47, 973-977. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0973
- Miyashita T, Shimada H. Taishaku M and Asai Y. 1994. Density and its seasonal change of finless porpoise in the Ise/Mikawa Bay. Abstract of Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society of Scientific Fisheries, P.58.
- Park KJ, Kim ZG and Zhang CI. 2007. Abundance estimation of the finless porpoise, Neophocaena phocaenoides, using models of the detection function in a line transect. J Kor Fish Soc 40, 201-209.
- Reilly SB and Barlow J. 1986. Rates of increase in dolphin population size. Fish Bull 84, 527-533.
- Sohn H, Park KJ, An YR, Choi SG, Kim ZG, Kim HW, An DH, Lee YR and Park TG. 2012. Distribution of whale and dolphins in Korea waters based on a sighting survey from 2000 to 2010. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 45, 486-492. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2012.0486
- Thomas, L., Laake JL, Rexstad E, Strindberg S, Marques FFC, Buckland ST, Borchers DL, Anderson DR, Burnham KP, Burt ML, Hedley SL, Pollard JH, Bishop JRB and Marques TA. 2009. Distance 6.0. Release "x"1. Research Unit for Wildlife Population Assessment, University of St. Andrews, UK.
- Wang JY, Frasier TR, Wang SC and White BN. 2008. Detecting recent speciation events: the case of the finless porpoise (genus Neophocaena). Heredity 101, 145-156. https://doi.org/10.1038/hdy.2008.40
- Yoshida H, Shirakihara K, Kishino H, Shirakihara M and Takemura A. 1998. Finless porpoise abundance in Omura Bay, Japan: Estimation from aerial sighting surveys. J Wild Manage 39, 239-247.
- Genetic diversity and population demography of narrow-ridged finless porpoises from South Korea on the basis of mitochondrial DNA variation: Implications for its conservation in East Asia pp.08240469, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12563
- Differential population dynamics of a coastal porpoise correspond to the fishing effort in a large estuarine system vol.29, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/aqc.2998