- Volume 15 Issue 24
DOI QR Code
Public Awareness and Knowledge of Oral Cancer in Yemen
- Al-Maweri, Sadeq Ali (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi College of Dentistry and Nursing, Department of Oral Medicine, Sana'a University) ;
- Addas, Abdallah (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi College of Dentistry and Nursing) ;
- Tarakji, Bassel (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi College of Dentistry and Nursing, Department of Oral Medicine, Sana'a University) ;
- Abbas, Alkasem (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Sanaa University) ;
- Al-Shamiri, Hashem M. (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi College of Dentistry and Nursing, Department of Oral Medicine, Sana'a University) ;
- Alaizari, Nader Ahmed (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi College of Dentistry and Nursing, Department of Oral Medicine, Sana'a University) ;
- Shugaa-Addin, Bassam (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi College of Dentistry and Nursing, Department of Oral Medicine, Sana'a University)
- 발행 : 2015.01.22
Background: Oral cancer is in increasing in incidence in Yemen and indeed worldwide. Knowledge regarding risk factors and early signs in the general population can help in prevention and early detection of the disease. Purpose: The aim of this study was to assess the level of awareness and knowledge of oral cancer in the general population in Yemen. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional survey using a self-administered questionnaire was conducted on Yemeni adults aged
- Agrawal M, Pandey S, Jain S, Maitin S (2012). Oral cancer awareness of the general public in Gorakhpur city, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5195-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5195
- Al Dubai SA, Ganasegeran K, Alabsi AM, Alshagga M A, Ali RS (2012). Awareness and knowledge of oral cancer among university students in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 165-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.165
- Alaizari NA, Al-Maweri SA (2014). Oral cancer: knowledge, practices and opinions of dentists in Yemen. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5627-31. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5627
- Al-Attas SA, Ibrahim SS, Amer HA, Darwish Zel S, Hassan MH (2014). Prevalence of potentially malignant oral mucosal lesions among tobacco users in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 757-762. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.757
- Amarasinghe HK, Usgodaarachchi US, Johnson NW, Lalloo R, Warnakulasuriya S (2010). Public awareness of oral cancer, of oral potentially malignant disorders and of their risk factors in some rural populations in Sri Lanka. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 38, 540-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2010.00566.x
- Ariyawardana A, Vithanaarachchi N (2005). Awareness of oral cancer and precancer among patients attending a hospital in Sri Lanka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 58-61.
- Brown A, Ravichandran K, Warnakulasuriya S (2006). The unequal burden related to the risk of oral cancer in the different regions of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Community Dent Health, 23, 101-6.
- Devadiga A, Prasad KV (2010). Knowledge about oral cancer in adults attending a Dental Hospital in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1609-13.
- Eadie D, MacKintosh AM, MacAskill S, Brown A (2009). Development and evaluation of an early detection intervention for mouth cancer using a mass media approach. Br J Cancer, 101, 73-79. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605395
- Elango JK, Sundaram KR, Gangadharan P, et al (2009). Factors affecting oral cancer awareness in a high-risk population in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 627-30.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Ghani WM, Doss JG, Jamaluddin M, Kamaruzaman D, Zain RB (2013). Oral cancer awareness and its determinants among a selected Malaysian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 17-1963.
- Halawany HS, Jacob V, Abraham NB, Al-Maflehi N (2013). Oral cancer awareness and perception of tobacco use cessation counseling among dental students in four Asian countries. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3619-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3619
- Halboub ES, Al-Anazi YM , Al-Mohaya, MA (2011). Characterization of Yemeni patients treated for oral and pharyngeal cancers in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J, 32, 1177-82.
- Hollows P, McAndrew PG, Perini MG (2000). Delays in the referral and treatment of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Br Dent J, 188, 262-5.
- Horowitz AM, Nourjah P, Gift HC (1995). U.S. adult knowledge of risk factors and signs of oral cancers: 1990. J Am Dent Assoc, 126, 39-45. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1995.0022
- Horowitz AM, Nourjah PA (1996). Factors associated with having oral cancer examinations among US adults 40 years of age or older. J Public Health Dent, 56, 331-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.1996.tb02460.x
- Lin WJ, Jiang RS, Wu SH, Chen FJ, Liu SA (2011). Smoking, alcohol, and betel quid and oral cancer: a prospective cohort study. J Oncol, 2011, 525976.
- Llewellyn CD, Johnson, NW, Warnakulasuriya KA (2004). Risk factors for oral cancer in newly diagnosed patients aged 45 years and younger: a case-control study in Southern England. J Oral Pathol Med, 33, 525-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2004.00222.x
- Lohavanichbutr P, Houck J, Fan W, et al (2009). Genome wide gene expression profiles of HPV-positive and HPV-negative oropharyngeal cancer: potential implications for treatment choices. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 135, 180-8. https://doi.org/10.1001/archoto.2008.540
- Lu CY (2009). Observational studies: a review of study designs, challenges and strategies to reduce confounding. Int J Clin Pract, 63, 691-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2009.02056.x
- Pakfetrat A, Falaki F, Esmaily HO, Shabestari S (2010). Oral cancer knowledge among patients referred to Mashhad Dental School, Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 543-8.
- Park JH, Slack-Smith L, Smith A, et al (2011). Knowledge and perceptions regarding oral and pharyngeal carcinoma among adult dental patients. Aust Dent J, 56, 284-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2011.01342.x
- Peker I, Alkurt MT (2010). Public awareness level of oral cancer in a group of dental patients. J Contemp Dent Pract, 11, 49-56.
- Pierce JP, Macaskill P, Hill D (1990). Long-term effectiveness of mass media led antismoking campaigns in Australia. Am J Public Health, 80, 565-9. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.80.5.565
- Quadri MF, Saleh SM, Alsanosy R, et al (2014). Effectiveness of an intervention program on knowledge of oral cancer among the youth of Jazan, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1913-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1913
- Rogers SN, Hunter R, Lowe D (2011). Awareness of oral cancer in the Mersey region. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 49, 176-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2010.04.004
- Saleh A, Yang YH, Wan Abd Ghani WM, et al (2012). Promoting oral cancer awareness and early detection using a mass media approach. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1217-24. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1217
- Scheifele C, Nassar A, Reichart PA (2007). Prevalence of oral cancer and potentially malignant lesions among shammah users in Yemen. Oral Oncol, 43, 42-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2005.12.028
- Srikanth Reddy B, Doshi D, Padma Reddy M, Kulkarni S, Gaffar A, Ram Reddy V (2012). Oral cancer awareness and knowledge among dental patients in South India. J Craniomaxillofac Surg, 40, 521-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2011.09.002
- Tadbir AA, Ebrahimi H, Pourshahidi S, Zeraatkar M (2013). Evaluation of levels of knowledge about etiology and symptoms of oral cancer in southern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2217-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2217
- Tomar SL, Logan HL (2005). Florida adults' oral cancer knowledge and examination experiences. J Public Health Dent, 65, 221-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2005.tb03022.x
- Warnakulasuriya KA, Harris CK, Scarrott DM, et al (1999). An alarming lack of public awareness towards oral cancer. Br Dent J, 187, 319-22.
- Warnakulasuriya S (2009). Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncol, 45, 309-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2008.06.002
- West R, Alkhatib MN, McNeill A, Bedi R (2006). Awareness of mouth cancer in Great Britain. Br Dent J, 200, 167-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4813197
- Oral Cancer Awareness Among Dental Patients in Omdurman, Sudan: a cross-sectional Study vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-017-0351-z
- Evaluation of the Level of Knowledge of Oral Cancer Among High School Students vol.32, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-015-0936-7
- Oral Cancer: Awareness and Knowledge Among Dental Patients in Riyadh vol.32, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-015-0924-y
- Religiosity and Beliefs About the Transmission of Cancer, Chemotherapy, and Radiation Through Physical Contact in Saudi Arabia vol.58, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10943-018-00745-y