- Volume 15 Issue 24
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Significance of Nestin Expression in pT1 High-Grade Bladder Urothelial Carcinoma Patients Treated with Intravesical BCG
- Sen, Volkan (Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Bozkurt, Ozan (Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Demir, Omer (Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Tuna, Burcin (Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Yorukoglu, Kutsal (Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Ellidokuz, Hulya (Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Mungan, Ugur (Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University)
- 발행 : 2015.01.22
Background: Possible roles of nestin expression in terms of predicting intravesical BCG therapy response in T1 high grade bladder cancer patients were investigated. Materials and Methods: T1 high grade bladder cancer patients who were treated with intravesical BCG between 1990-2009 were included. Immunohistochemical staining for nestin expression was performed. Nestin(+) and nestin(-) patients were compared in terms of recurrence and progression rates. Results: Sixty-three patients were included and median follow-up time was twenty-five months. After staining; 33 patients (52.4%) were classified as nestin (+) and 30 (47.6%) as (-). Nestin (+) patients were more likely to recur compared to nestin (-) patients (60.6% vs. 30%, p<0.05). Progression rates were also higher in nestin (+) patients, although this result did not reach statistical significance (15.2 % vs. 10 %, p=0.710). Conclusions: Nestin expression, which seems effective in predicting recurrence, appears to have a potential role in the urothelial carcinoma tumorigenesis. Patients with high grade bladder cancer and positive nestin expression need close follow-up and might be informed about more tendency to recur. Further comprehensive studies including larger patient cohorts may clarify the role of nestin in bladder cancer.
- Cookson MS, Sarosdy MF (1992). Management of stage T1 superficial bladder cancer with intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin therapy. J Urol, 148, 797-801.
- Eaker EY, Sallustio JE (1994). The distribution of novel intermediate filament proteins defines subpopulations of myenteric neurons in rat intestine. Gastroenterology, 107, 666-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-5085(94)90113-9
- Eaton CL, Colombel M, van der Pluijm G, et al (2010). Evaluation of the frequency of putative prostate cancer stem cells in primary and metastatic prostate cancer. Prostate, 70, 875-82.
- Enache S, Arsene D, Iosif C, et al (2012). Nestin and caveolin-1 in the diagnosis of GISTs. Rom J Morphol Embryol, 53, 41-46.
- Epstein JI, Amin MB, Reuter VR, et al (1998). The World Health Organization/ International Society of Urological Pathology consensus classification of urothelial (transitional cell) neoplasms of the urinary bladder. Bladder Consensus Conference Committee. Am J Surg Pathol, 22, 1435-48. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-199812000-00001
- Ghafouri-Fard S, Nekoohesh L, Motevaseli E (2014). Bladder cancer biomarkers: review and update. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2395-403. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2395
- Gravdal K, Halvorsen OJ, Haukaas SA, et al (2009). Proliferation of immature tumor vessels is a novel marker of clinical progression in prostate cancer. Cancer Res, 69, 4708-15. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-08-4417
- Heney NM (1992). Natural history of superficial bladder cancer. Prognostic features and long-term disease course. Urol Clin North Am, 19, 429-33.
- Hurle R, Losa A, Manzetti A, et al (1999). Intravesical Bacille Calmette-Guerin in Stage T1 grade 3 bladder cancer therapy: A 7-year follow-up. Urology, 54, 258-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(99)00116-8
- Jaeger TM, Weidner N, Chow K, et al (1995). Tumor angiogenesis correlates with lymph node metastases in invasive bladder cancer. J Urol, 154, 69-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(01)67230-6
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2009). Cancer statistics 2009. CA Cancer J Clin, 59, 225-49. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20006
- Jimenz-Cruz JF, Vera-Donoso CD, Leiva O, et al (1997). Intravesical immunoprophylaxis in recurrent superficial bladder cancer (Stage T1): multicenter trial comparing bacille Calmette-Guerin and interferon-alpha. Urology, 50, 529-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(97)00303-8
- Kawano H, Tanaka S, Ishii A, et al (2011). Osteoclast-rich undifferentiated carcinoma of the urinary bladder: An immunohistochemical study. Pathol Res Pract, 207, 722-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prp.2011.09.003
- Kim HS, Kang HS, Messam CA, et al (2002). Comparative evaluation of angiogenesis in gastric adenocarcinoma by nestin and CD34. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol, 10, 121-7.
- Lardon J, Rooman I, Bouwens L (2012). Nestin expression in pancreatic stellate cells and angiogenic endothelial cells. Histochem Cell Biol,117, 535-40.
- Lima L, Dinis-Ribeiro M, Longatto-Filho A, et al (2012). Predictive biomarkers of bacillus Calmette-Guerin immunotherapy response in bladder cancer: where are we now?. Adv Urol, 23, 260-9.
- Malkowicz SB, Nichols P, Lieskovsky G, et al (1990). The role of radical cystectomy in the management of high grade superficial bladder cancer (PA, P1, PIS, and P2). J Urol, 144, 641-5.
- Manoharan M, Soloway MS (2005). Optimal management of the T1G3 bladder cancer. Urol Clin North Am, 32, 133-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ucl.2005.02.002
- Okamura T, Akita H, Ando R, et al (2010). Intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) instillation for primary and recurring T1G3 bladder cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1107-10.
- Okamura T, Ando R, Akita H, et al (2012). Are there time-period-related differences in the prophylactic effects of Bacille Calmette-Guerin intravesical instillation therapy in Japan? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4357-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4357
- Ozer E, Mungan MU, Tuna B, et al (1999). Prognostic significance of angiogenesis and immunoreactivity of catepsin D and type IV collagen in high-grade stage T1 primary bladder cancer. Urology, 54, 50-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(99)00026-6
- Palou J, Algaba F, Vera I, et al (2009). Protein expression patterns of ezrin are predictors of progression in T1G3 bladder tumors treated with nonmaintenance bacillus Calmette-Guerin. Eur Urol, 56, 829-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2008.09.062
- Tabata K, Matsumoto K, Minami S, et al (2014). Nestin is an independent predictor of cancer-specific survival after radical cystectomy in patients with urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. PLoS One, 9, 91548. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0091548
- Tabriz HM, Olfati G, Ahmadi SA, et al (2013). Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in urinary bladder transitional cell carcinoma and its association with clinicopathological characteristics. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4539-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4539
- Takano T, Rutka JT, Becker LE (1996). Overexpression of nestin and vimentin in ependymal cells in hydrocephalus. Acta Neuropathol, 92, 90-97. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004010050493
- Teranishi N, Naito Z, Ishiwata T, et al (2007). Identification of neovasculature using nestin in colorectal cancer. Int J Oncol, 30, 593-603.
- Toshiyuki I, Yoko M, Zenya N (2011). Nestin in gastrointestinal and other cancers: effects on cells and tumor angiogenesis. World J Gastroenterol, 17, 409-18. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v17.i4.409
- Witjes JA, Hendricksen K (2008). Intravesical pharmacotherapy for non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a critical analysis of currently available drugs, treatment schedules, and long-term results. Eur Urol, 53, 45-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2007.08.015
- Xu T, Xu ZC, Zou Q, Yu B, Huang XE (2012). P53 Arg72Pro polymorphism and bladder cancer risk--meta-analysis evidence for a link in Asians but not Caucasians. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2349-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2349
- Yang J, Bian W, Gao X, et al (2000). Nestin expression during mouse eye and lens development. Mech Dev, 94, 287-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-4773(00)00301-4
- Ajili F, Kacem M, Tounsi H, et al (2012). Prognostic impact of angiogenesis in nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer as defined by microvessel density after immunohistochemical staining for CD34. Ultrastructure Pathol, 36, 336-42. https://doi.org/10.3109/01913123.2012.672847
- Almazan G, Vela JM, Molina-Holgado E, et al (2001). Reeveluation of nestin as a marker of oligodendrocyte lineage cells. Microsc Res Tech, 52, 753-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/jemt.1060
- Amoh Y, Li L, Yang M, et al (2004). Nascent blood vessels in the skin arise from nestin-expressing hair-follicle cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 101, 13291-5. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0405250101
- Bentivegna A, Conconi D, Panzeri E, et al (2010). Biological heterogeneity of putative bladder cancer stem-like cell populations from human bladder transitional cell carcinoma samples. Cancer Sci, 101, 416-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01414.x
- Chen JX, Deng N, Chen X, et al (2012). A novel molecular grading model: combination of Ki67 and VEGF in predicting tumor recurrence and progression in non-invasive urothelial bladder cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2229-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2229
- Cheng L, Montironi R, Davidson DD, et al (2009). Staging and reporting of urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder. Mod Pathol, 2, 70-95.