- Volume 15 Issue 24
DOI QR Code
Ovarian Cancer in Iranian Women, a Trend Analysis of Mortality and Incidence
- Sharifian, Abdolhamid (Academy of Medical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Pourhoseingholi, Mohamad Amin (Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Norouzinia, Mohsen (Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Vahedi, Mohsen (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.01.22
Background: Ovarian cancer is an important cause of mortality in women. The aim of this study was to evaluate the incidence and mortality rates and trends in the Iranian population and make predictions. Materials and Methods: National incidence from Iranian annual of National Cancer Registration report from 2003 to 2009 and National Death Statistics reported by the Ministry of Health and Medical Education from 1999 to 2004 were included in this study. A time series model (autoregressive) was used to predict the mortality for the years 2007, 2008, 2012 and 2013, with results expressed as annual mortality rates per 100,000. Results: The general mortality rate of ovarian cancer slightly increased during the years under study from 0.01 to 0.75 and reaching plateau according to the prediction model. Mortality was higher for older age. The incidence also increased during the period of the study. Conclusions: Our study indicated remarkable increasing trends in ovarian cancer mortality and incidence. Therefore, attention to high risk groups and setting awareness programs for women are needed to reduce the associated burden in the future.
- Akbari ME, Khayamzadeh M (2008). Incidence, mortality and burden of cancers in Iran. In: Akbari ME, editor. Iran cancer report. 1st ed. Tehran: Cancer Res Center, Shahid Beheshti university of medical sciences, 95-125.
- Arab M, Khayamzadeh M, Mohit M, et al (2009). Survival of ovarian cancer in Iran: 2000-2004. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 555-8.
- Arab M, Khayamzadeh M, Tehranian A, et al (2010). Incidence rate of ovarian cancer in Iran in comparison with developed countries. Indian J Cancer, 47, 322-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.64721
- Arab M, Noghabaei G, Kazemi SN (2014). Comparison of crude and age-specific incidence rates of breast, ovary, endometrium and cervix cancers in Iran, 2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2461-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2461
- Bhurgri Y, Shaheen Y, Kayani N, et al (2011). Incidence, trends and morphology of ovarian cancer in Karachi (1995-2002). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1567-71.
- Burnet NG, Jefferies SJ, Benson RJ, et al (2005). Years of life lost (YLL) from cancer is an important measure of population burden . and should be considered when allocating research funds. Br J Cancer, 92, 241-5.
- Hirabayashi Y, Marugame T (2009). Comparison of time trends in ovary cancer mortality (1990-2006) in the world, from the WHO Mortality Database. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 39, 860-1. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyp168
- Hanna L, Adams M (2006). Prevention of ovarian cancer. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol, 20, 339-62.
- Islamic Repulic of Iran (2009). Ministry of health and medical education. center for disease control & prevention. noncommunicable deputy. cancer office. Iranian An Natl Cancer Registrat Report.
- Janssen-Heijnen ML, Houterman S, Lemmens VE, et al (2005). Age and co-morbidity in cancer patients: a population-based approach. Cancer Treat Res, 124, 89-107. https://doi.org/10.1007/0-387-23962-6_5
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Lope V, Pollan M, Perez-Gomez B, et al (2008). Municipal distribution of ovarian cancer mortality in Spain. BMC Cancer, 8, 258. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-258
- Li DP, Du C, Zhang ZM, et al (2014). Breastfeeding and ovarian cancer risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 40 epidemiological studies. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4829-37. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4829
- Lowe KA, Chia VM, Taylor A, et al (2013). An international assessment of ovarian cancer incidence and mortality. Gynecol Oncol, 130, 107-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2013.03.026
- Lukanova A, Kaaks R (2005). Endogenous hormones and ovarian cancer: Epidemiology and current hypothesis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 98-107.
- Menon U (2012). Ovarian cancer screening has no effect on disease-specific mortality. Evid Based Med, 17, 47-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/ebm.2011.100163
- Marugame T, Hirabayashi Y (2007). Comparison of time trends in ovary cancer incidence (1973-1997) in East Asia, Europe, and the USA, from cancer incidence in five continents vols IV VIII. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 37, 802-3. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hym141
- Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Safaee A, Vahedi M (2013). Overweight and obesity and related factors in urban Iranian population aged between 20 to 84 years. Ann Med Health Sci Res, 3, 171-6. https://doi.org/10.4103/2141-9248.113656
- Naghavi M (2002). Death report from 18 provinces in Iran. 1st edition. Tehran: Ministry Health.
- Naghavi M (2003). Death report from 18 provinces in Iran. 1st edition. Tehran: Ministry Health.
- Naghavi M (2004). Death report from 23 provinces in Iran. 1st edition. Tehran: Ministry Health.
- National cancer institute (2005). SEER cancer statistics review (1975-2002). Ovarian epithelial cancer (PDG): treatment-health professionals. J National Cancer Institute. Vol 98.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2001). Estimating the world cancer burden: GLOBOCAN 2000. Int J Cancer, 94, 153-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.1440
- Permuth-Weg J, Seliers T (2009). Epidemiology of ovarian cancer. In M. Verme (ed). Methods of Molecular Biology. Cancer Epidemiology, Vol 427; Humana Press.
- Salehi F, Dunfield L, Phillips KP, et al (2008). Risk factors for ovarian cancer: an overview with emphasis on hormonal factors. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev, 11, 301-21. https://doi.org/10.1080/10937400701876095
- Sant M, Aareleid T, Berrino F, et al (2003). EUROCARE-3: survival of cancer patients diagnosed 1990-94-results and commentary. Ann Oncol, 14, 61-118. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdg754
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (2013). Screening for ovarian cancer: reaffirmation recommendation statement. Am Fam Physician, 87, Online.
- Wang B, Liu SZ, Zheng RS, et al (2014). Time trends of ovarian cancer incidence in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 191-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.191
- Zhou Y, Irwin ML, Risch HA (2011). Pre- and post-diagnosis body mass index, weight change, and ovarian cancer mortality. Gynecol Oncol, 120, 209-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2010.10.035
- Quantitative analysis of cell-free DNA in ovarian cancer pp.1792-1082, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2015.3771
- Epidemiology and treatment patterns of epithelial ovarian cancer vol.17, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/14737140.2017.1299575
- Time Trends in the Incidence and Mortality of Ovarian Cancer in Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Israel, 1994–2013 vol.27, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000001079
- In vivo magnetic resonance spectroscopy for ovarian cancer diagnostics: quantification by the fast Padé transform vol.55, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10910-016-0694-8
- Synergism of spectra averaging and extrapolation for quantification of in vivo MRS time signals encoded from the ovary vol.55, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10910-016-0728-2
- Encoded in vivo time signals from the ovary in magnetic resonance spectroscopy: poles and zeros as the cornerstone for stability of response functions of systems to external perturbations vol.55, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10910-017-0743-y
- Systematic module approach identifies altered genes and pathways in four types of ovarian cancer vol.16, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2017.7649
- Chitosan-based nanotherapeutics for ovarian cancer treatment pp.1029-2330, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/1061186X.2018.1564923
- Review of recent applications of the conventional and derivative fast Padé transform for magnetic resonance spectroscopy vol.57, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10910-019-01001-8
- pp.08991987, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.22952