- Volume 15 Issue 24
DOI QR Code
Epidemiology of Pancreatic Cancer in Vojvodina Province in Serbia
- Smiljana, Rajcevic (Institute of Public Health of Vojvodina) ;
- Mikov, Marica Miladinov (Faculty of Medicine, University of Novi Sad) ;
- Petrovic, Vasa (Community Health Center) ;
- Jasna, Trifunovic (Faculty of Medicine, University of Novi Sad) ;
- Tihomir, Dugandzija (Faculty of Medicine, University of Novi Sad) ;
- Milanka, Tatic (Faculty of Medicine, University of Novi Sad)
- 발행 : 2015.01.22
Purpose: Analysis of descriptive epidemiological characteristics of pancreatic cancer in Vojvodina, Serbia. Materials and Methods: The study covers population of Vojvodina in the period from 2000 to 2009. The method used for data processing was the descriptive. The data, referring to a specified period of time, were analyzed from chronological and demographic aspects and according to histological diagnosis. Results: In the period from 2000 to 2009, there were 2,108 registered cases of pancreatic cancer of which 1,886 had a fatal outcome. Standardized incidence rates varied between 5.7 and 9.1 per 100,000 population in males and between 4.2 and 5.3 in females. Linear incidence trends in males in the specified period of time, based on crude (r=0.7883, p<0.05) and standardized (r=0,6373, p<0,05) incidence rates, demonstrated increase. Annual percent increase in the crude incidence rate was 4.5% in males, and 2.8% in females. Age-standardized mortality rates varied between 5.2 and 7.5 per 100,000 population in males and 3.6 and 4.7 in females. Linear mortality trends in males in the specified period of time, based on crude (r=0.8795, p<0.05) and standardized (r=0.7669, p<0.05) mortality rates, also demonstrated annual percent increase. Conclusions: Data analysis shows unfavorable onco-epidemiological situation related to pancreatic cancer in Vojvodina, in aspects of both incidence and mortality. Absence of primary and secondary prevention does not allow medical institutions to successfully fight against this disease.
- Anderson KE, Mack TM, Silverman DT (2006). Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Miladinov-Mikov M, Dugandzija T (2013). Letter to the editor. Arch Oncol, 21, 53
- Engin H, Bilir C, Ustun H, Gokmen A (2012). ABO blood group and risk of pancreatic cancer in a Turkish population in western blacksea region. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 131-3 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.131
- Ferlay J, Steliarova-Foucher E, Lortet-Tieulent J, et al (2013). Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: Estimates for 40 countries in 2012. Eur J Cancer, 49, 374-1403.
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al. GLOBOCAN 2012.Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2013. Available from:http://globocan.iarc.fr.
- Ghadirian P, Lynch HT, Krewski D (2003). Epidemiology of pancreatic cancer: an overview. Cancer Detect Prev, 27, 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-090X(03)00002-3
- Hamilton S.R., Aaltonen L.A., (2000). Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Digestive System[e-book], Lyon:IARC Press.
- Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al (2012). SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2009 (Vintage 2009 Populations), National Cancer Institute. Bethesda.
- Ilic M, Hristina V, Marinkovic J, Kocev N (2013). Pancreatic cancer mortality in Serbia from 1991-2010 - a joinpoint analysis. Croat Med J, 54, 369-75. https://doi.org/10.3325/cmj.2013.54.369
- Inal A, Ciltas A, Ramazan Y, Berk V, Kos T, Dane F et al, (2012). Long term survivors with metastatic pancreatic cancer treated with gemcitabine alone or plus cisplatin: a retrospective analysis of an Anatolian Society of Medical Oncology Multicenter Study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1841-4 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1841
- Luke C, Price T, Singhal N, Roder D (2009). Pancreatic cancer epidemiology and survival in an Australian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 369-74
- Lowenfels AB, Maisonneuve P (2006). Epidemiology and risk factors for pancreatic cancer. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol, 20, 197-209 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpg.2005.10.001
- Maissonneuveu P, Lowenfeles AB (2010). Epidemiology of pancreatic cancer: An Update. Dig Dis, 28, 645-56 https://doi.org/10.1159/000320068
- Sant M, Allemani C, Santaquilani M, et al (2009). EUROCARE-4. Survival of cancer patients diagnosed in 1995-1999. Results and commentary. Eur J Cancer, 45, 931-91 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.11.018
- Wood HE, Gupta S, Kang JY, et al (2006). Pancreatic Cancer in England and Wales 1975-2000: patterns and trends in incidence, survival and mortality. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 23, 1205-14 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2006.02860.x
- dietary patterns and risk of pancreatic and renal cancers vol.47, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-03-2017-0053