- Volume 15 Issue 24
Background: The incidence of inadequate bowel preparation before elective colonoscopy in this region has never been studied. Materials and Methods: The authors prospectively described the incidence and factors related to inadequate bowel preparation in Thammasat university hospital. Bowel preparation quality was accessed by using Aronchick scale. Factors associated with inadequate bowel preparation were also recorded. Results: Two hundred patients undergoing elective outpatient colonoscopy were enrolled. Inadequate and fair bowel preparation was documented in 9 and 43%, respectively. Factors associated with inadequate bowel preparation were incomplete cleansing agent ingestion (odds ratio 7.7; 95%CI 1.62-36.64) and patient's unrecognization of vegetable avoidance (odds ratio 3.26; 95%CI 1.14-9.28). Conclusions: Compared with previous reported, inadequate bowel preparation was seen less in our study, however, more patients with fair bowel preparation was documented. Further study aiming at investigating the type and amount of fiber contained in diet before elective colonoscopy should be commenced.
Bowel preparation;incidence;predictor;low-fiber diet
- Aronchick CA, Lipshutz WH, Wright SH, Dufrayne F, Bergman G (2000). A novel tableted purgative for colonoscopic preparation: efficacy and safety comparisons with Colyte and Fleet Phospho-Soda. Gastrointest Endosc, 52, 346-52. https://doi.org/10.1067/mge.2000.108480
- Aswakul P, Prachayakul V, Lohsiriwat V, Bunyaarunnate T, Kachintorn U (2012). Screening colonoscopy from a large single center of Thailand - something needs to be changed? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1361-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1361
- Bigard MA, Gaucher P, Lassalle C (1979). Fatal colonic explosion during colonoscopic polypectomy. Gastroenterol, 77, 1307-10.
- Borg BB, Gupta NK, Zuckerman GR, Banerjee B, Gyawali CP (2009). Impact of obesity on bowel preparation for colonoscopy. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 7, 670-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2009.02.014
- Calderwood AH, Jacobson BC (2010). Comprehensive validation of the Boston Bowel Preparation Scale. Gastrointest Endosc, 72, 686-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2010.06.068
- Chan W-K, Saravanan A, Manikam J, Goh KL, Mahadeva S (2011). Appointment waiting times and education level influence the quality of bowel preparation in adult patients undergoing colonoscopy. BMC Gastroenterol, 11, 86. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-11-86
- Chokshi RV, Hovis CE, Hollander T, Early DS, Wang JS (2012). Prevalence of missed adenomas in patients with inadequate bowel preparation on screening colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc, 75, 1197-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2012.01.005
- Chung YW, Han DS, Park KH, et al (2009). Patient factors predictive of inadequate bowel preparation using polyethylene glycol: a prospective study in Korea. J Clin Gastroenterol, 43, 448-52. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCG.0b013e3181662442
- Froehlich F, Wietlisbach V, Gonvers JJ, Burnand B, Vader JP (2005). Impact of colonic cleansing on quality and diagnostic yield of colonoscopy: the European Panel of Appropriateness of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy European multicenter study. Gastrointest Endosc, 61, 378-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5107(04)02776-2
- Hassan C, Bretthauer M, Kaminski MF, et al (2013). Bowel preparation for colonoscopy: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline. Endoscopy, 45, 142-50. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0032-1326186
- Hassan C, Fuccio L, Bruno M, et al (2012). A predictive model identifies patients most likely to have inadequate bowel preparation for colonoscopy. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 10, 501-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2011.12.037
- Harewood GC, Sharma VK, de Garmo P (2003). Impact of colonoscopy preparation quality on detection of suspected colonic neoplasia. Gastrointest Endosc, 5, 76-9.
- Hendry PO, Jenkins JT, Diament RH (2007). The impact of poor bowel preparation on colonoscopy: a prospective single centre study of 10,571 colonoscopies. Colorectal Dis, 9, 745-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1318.2007.01220.x
- Hsu CM, Lin WP, Su MY, et al (2012). Factors that influence cecal intubation rate during colonoscopy in deeply sedated patients. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 27, 76-80.
- Kazarian ES, Carreira FS, Toribara NW, Denberg TD (2008). Colonoscopy completion in a large safety net health care system. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 6, 438-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2007.12.003
- Kuriki K, Tajima K (2006). The increasing incidence of colorectal cancer and the preventive strategy in Japan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 495-501.
- Lebwohl B, Kastrinos F, Glick M, et al (2011). The impact of suboptimal bowel preparation on adenoma miss rates and the factors associated with early repeat colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc, 73, 1207-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2011.01.051
- Lebwohl B, Wang TC, Neugut AI (2010). Socioeconomic and other predictors of colonoscopy preparation quality. Dig Dis Sci, 55, 2014-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-009-1079-7
- Liu X, Luo H, Zhang L, et al (2014). Telephone-based re-education on the day before colonoscopy improves the quality of bowel preparation and the polyp detection rate: a prospective, colonoscopist-blinded, randomised, controlled study. Gut, 63, 125-30. https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2012-304292
- Lohsiriwat V, Prapasrivorakul S, Suthikeeree W (2012). Colorectal cancer screening by double contrast barium enema in Thai people. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1273-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1273
- Menees SB, Kim HM, Elliott EE, et al (2013). The impact of fair colonoscopy preparation on colonoscopy use and adenoma miss rates in patients undergoing outpatient colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc, 78, 510-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2013.03.1334
- Ness RM, Manam R, Hoen H, Chalasani N (2001). Predictors of inadequate bowel preparation for colonoscopy. Am J Gastroenterol, 96, 1797-802. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2001.03874.x
- Radaelli F, Meucci G, Imperiali G, et al (2005). High-dose senna compared with conventional PEG-ES lavage as bowel preparation for elective colonoscopy: a prospective, randomized, investigator-blinded trial. Am J Gastroenterol, 100, 2674-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2005.00335.x
- Rex DK, Imperiale TF, Latinovich DR, Bratcher LL (2002). Impact of bowel preparation on efficiency and cost of colonoscopy. Am J Gastroenterol, 97, 1696-700. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2002.05827.x
- Seo EH, Kim TO, Park MJ, et al (2012). Optimal preparation-to-colonoscopy interval in split-dose PEG bowel preparation determines satisfactory bowel preparation quality: an observational prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc, 75, 583-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2011.09.029
- Shieh TY, Chen MJ, Chang CW, et al (2013). Effect of physician-delivered patient education on the quality of bowel preparation for screening colonoscopy. Gastroenterol Res Pract, 570180.
- Shin JY, Kim SY, Lee KS, et al (2012). Costs during the first five years following cancer diagnosis in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3767-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3767
- Tellez-Avila FI, Murcio-Perez E, Saul A, et al (2014). Efficacy and tolerability of low-volume (2L) versus single- (4L) versus split-dose (2L+2L) polyethylene glycol bowel preparation for colonoscopy: Randomized clinical trial. Dig Endosc. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wiwanitkit V (2010). Colonoscopy with and without occult blood test pre-screening: which is more cost effective for implementation for screening for colon cancer? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 823-4.
- Wu KL, Rayner CK, Chuah SK, et al (2011). Impact of low-residue diet on bowel preparation for colonoscopy. Dis Colon Rectum, 54, 107-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/DCR.0b013e3181fb1e52
- Yang BH, Parkin DM, Cai L, Zhang ZF (2004). Cancer burden and trends in the Asian Pacific Rim region. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 96-117.
- Constipation, fiber intake and non-compliance contribute to inadequate colonoscopy bowel preparation: a prospective cohort study vol.17, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/1751-2980.12376
- Split-dose 4-L polyethylene glycol regimen for patients with previous colorectal surgery in bowel preparation before colonoscopy: A randomized, controlled, single-blind study vol.19, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1751-2980.12608