- Volume 15 Issue 24
The present study aimed at evaluating and comparing the diagnostic performance of B-mode ultrasound (US), elastography score (ES), and strain ratio (SR) for the differentiation of breast lesions. This retrospective study enrolled 431 lesions from 417 in-hospital patients. All patients were examined with both conventional ultrasound and elastography. Two experienced radiologists reviewed ultrasound and elasticity images. The histopathologic result obtained from ultrasound-guided core biopsy or operation excisions were used as the reference standard. Pathologic examination revealed 276 malignant lesions (64%) and 155 benign lesions (36%). A cut-off point of 4.15 (area under the curve, 0.891) allowed significant differentiation of malignant and benign lesions. ROC (receiver-operating characteristic) curves showed a higher value for combination of B-mode ultrasound and elastography for the diagnosis of breast lesions. Conventional ultrasound combined elastography showed high sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy for group II lesions (10mm
Ultrasound;elastography;breast lesions;strain ratio
- Adamietz BR, Meier-Meitinger M, Fasching P, et al (2011). New diagnostic criteria in real-time elastography for the assessment of breast lesions. Ultraschall Med, 32, 67-73. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0029-1245821
- American College of Radiology (2003). Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (Bi-Rads) Ultrasound. Reston, Va: American College of Radiology.
- Brenner H, Gondos A, Arndt V (2007). Recent major progress in long-term cancer patient survival disclosed by modeled period analysis. J Clin Oncol, 25, 3274-80. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.11.3431
- Chiou SY, Chou YH, Chiou HJ, et al (2006). Sonographic features of nonpalpable breast cancer: a study based on ultrasound-guided wire-localized surgical biopsies. Ultrasound Med Biol, 32, 1299-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2006.05.018
- Cho N, Moon WK, Park JS, et al (2008). Nonpalpable breast masses: evaluation by US elastography. Korean J Radiol, 9, 111-8. https://doi.org/10.3348/kjr.2008.9.2.111
- Cho N, Moon WK, Kim HY, et al (2010). Sonoelastographic strain index for differentiation of benign and malignant nonpalpable breast masses. J Ultrasound Med, 29, 1-7.
- Cho N, Jang MJ, Lyou CY, et al (2012). Distinguishing benign from malignant masses at breast US: Combined US elastography and color Dopple US-influence on radiologist accuracy. Radiology, 262, 80-90. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.11110886
- Engelken FJ, Sack I, Klatt D, et al (2012). Evaluation of tomosynthesis elastography in a breast-mimicking phantom. Eur J Radiol, 81, 2169-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2011.06.033
- Farrokh A, Wojcinski S, Degenhardt F (2013). Evaluation of real-time tissue sono-elastography in the assessment of 214 breast lesions: limitations of this method resulting from different histologic subtypes, tumor size and tumor localization. Ultrasound Med Bio, 39, 2264-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2013.08.002
- Fu LN, Wang Y, Wang Y, et al (2011). Value of ultrasound elastography in detecting small breast tumors. Chin Med J, 124, 2384-6.
- Gong X, Xu QH, Xu ZL, et al (2011). Real-time elastography for the differentiation of benign and malignant breast lesions: a meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Ras Treat, 130, 11-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1745-2
- Itoh A, Ueno E, Tohno E, et al (2006). Breast disease: clinical application of US elastography for diagnosis. Radiology, 239, 341-50. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2391041676
- Jackson VP (1995). The current role of ultrasonography in breast imaging. Radiol Clin North Am, 33, 1161-70.
- Krouskop TA, Wheller TM, Kallel F, et al (1998). Elastic moduli of breast and prostate tissue under compression. Ultrason Imaging, 20, 260-74. https://doi.org/10.1177/016173469802000403
- Kumm TR, Szabunio MM (2010). Elastography for the characterization of breast lesions: initial clinical experience. Cancer Control, 17, 156-61.
- Lee JH, Kim SH, Kang BJ, et al (2011). Role and clinical usefulness of elastography in small masses. Acad Radiol, 18, 74-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2010.07.014
- Leung DY, Leung AY, Chi I (2012). Breast and colorectal cancer screening and associated correlates among Chinese older women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 283-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.283
- Liu J, Liu P-F, Li J-N, et al (2014). Analysis of mammographic breast density in a group of screening Chinese women and breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6411-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6411
- Meier-Metitinger M, Haberle L, Fasching PA, et al (2011). Assessment of breast cancer tumor size using six different methods. Eur Radiol, 21, 1180-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-010-2016-z
- Moon WK, Chang SC, Huang CS, et al (2011). Breast tumor classification using fuzzy clustering for breast elastography. Ultrasound Med Bio, 37, 700-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2011.02.003
- Parajuly SS, Lan PY, Yan L, et al (2010). Breast elastography: a hospital-based preliminary study in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 809-14.
- Rahbar G, Sie AC, Hansen GC, et al (1999). Benign versus malignant solid breast masses: US differentiation. Radiology, 213, 889-94. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.213.3.r99dc20889
- Regini E, Bagnera S, Tota D, et al (2010). Role of sonoelastography in characterising breast nodules. Preliminary experience with 120 lesions. Radiol Med, 115, 551-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11547-010-0518-z
- Thomas A, Degenhardt F, Farrokh A, et al (2010). Significant differentiation of focal breast lesions calculation of strain ratio in breast sonoelastography. Acad Radiol, 17, 558-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2009.12.006
- Warner E, Plewes DB, Shumak RS, et al (2001). Comparison of breast magnetic resonance imaging, mammography, and ultrasound for surveillance of women at high risk for hereditary breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 19, 3524-31.
- Zhang L, Liu YJ, Jiang SQ, et al (2014). Ultrasound utility for predicting biological behavior of invasive ductal breast cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8057-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8057
- Zhi H, Ou B, Luo BM, et al (2007). Comparison of ultrasound elastography, mammography, and sonography in the diagnosis of solid breast lesions. J Ultrasound Med, 26, 807-15.
- Factors Affecting the Quality of Breast Quasistatic Ultrasound Elastograms pp.02784297, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jum.14518