- Volume 15 Issue 24
DOI QR Code
Serum Amyloid A is a Novel Prognostic Biomarker in Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Ni, Xiao-Chun ;
- Yi, Yong ;
- Fu, Yi-Peng ;
- He, Hong-Wei ;
- Cai, Xiao-Yan ;
- Wang, Jia-Xing ;
- Zhou, Jian ;
- Fan, Jia ;
- Qiu, Shuang-Jian
- Published : 2015.01.22
Purpose: To investigate the prognostic value of serum amyloid A (SAA) in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) undergoing surgery. Materials and Methods: Preoperative serum samples of 328 patients with HCC who underwent curative resection and of 47 patients with benign liver lesion were assayed. Serum levels of SAA were measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and its correlations with clinicopathological characteristics and survival were explored. Results: Levels of SAA were significantly higher in patients with HCC than those with benign liver lesion. There were strong correlations between preoperative serum SAA level and tumor size and more advanced BCLC stage. On univariate analysis, elevated SAA was associated with reduced disease-free survival and overall survival (p=0.001 and 0.03, respectively). Multivariate analyses showed that serum SAA level was an independent prognostic factor for overall survival (hazard ratio 2.80, p=0.01). Conclusions: High SAA serum level is a novel biomarker for the prognosis of HCC patients.
Serum amyloid A;hepatocellular carcinoma;prognosis
- Olsson N, Siegbahn A, Nilsson G (1999). Serum amyloid A induces chemotaxis of human mast cells by activating a pertussis toxin-sensitive signal transduction pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 254, 143-6 https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1998.9911
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2001). Estimating the world cancer burden: Globocan 2000. Int J Cancer, 94, 153-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.1440
- Ramankulov A, Lein M, Johannsen M, et al (2008). Serum amyloid A as indicator of distant metastases but not as early tumor marker in patients with renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Lett, 269, 85-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.04.022
- Rosenthal CJ and Sullivan LM (1979). Serum amyloid A to monitor cancer dissemination. Ann Intern Med, 91, 383-90. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-91-3-383
- Sasazuki S, Inoue M, Sawada N, et al (2010). Plasma levels of C-reactive protein and serum amyloid A and gastric cancer in a nested case-control study: Japan Public Health Center-based prospective study. Carcinogenesis, 31, 712-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgq010
- Shiels MS, Pfeiffer RM, Hildesheim A, et al (2013). Circulating inflammation markers and prospective risk for lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 105, 1871-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djt309
- Sieghart W, Pinter M, Hucke F, et al (2013). Single determination of C-reactive protein at the time of diagnosis predicts long-term outcome of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology, 57, 2224-34. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.26057
- Steel DM, Donoghue FC, O'Neill RM, et al (1996). Expression and regulation of constitutive and acute phase serum amyloid A mRNAs in hepatic and non-hepatic cell lines. Scand J Immunol, 44, 493-500. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3083.1996.d01-341.x
- Stix B, Kahne T, Sletten K, et al (2001). Proteolysis of AA amyloid fibril proteins by matrix metalloproteinases-1, -2, and -3. Am J Pathol, 159, 561-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)61727-0
- Sung HJ, Ahn JM, Yoon YH, et al (2011). Identification and Validation of SAA as a potential lung cancer biomarker and its involvement in metastatic pathogenesis of lung cancer. J Proteome Res, 10, 1383-95. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr101154j
- Thorn CF, Lu ZY and Whitehead AS (2003). Tissue-specific regulation of the human acute-phase serum amyloid A genes, SAA1 and SAA2, by glucocorticoids in hepatic and epithelial cells. Eur J Immunol, 33, 2630-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/eji.200323985
- Thorn CF, Lu ZY and Whitehead AS (2004). Regulation of the human acute phase serum amyloid A genes by tumour necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-6 and glucocorticoids in hepatic and epithelial cell lines. Scand J Immunol, 59, 152-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0300-9475.2004.01369.x
- Toriola AT, Cheng TY, Neuhouser ML, et al (2013). Biomarkers of inflammation are associated with colorectal cancer risk in women but are not suitable as early detection markers. Int J Cancer, 132, 2648-58. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27942
- Weinstein PS, Skinner M, Sipe JD, et al (1984). Acute-phase proteins or tumour markers: the role of SAA, SAP, CRP and CEA as indicators of metastasis in a broad spectrum of neoplastic diseases. Scand J Immunol, 19, 193-8.
- Xu L, Badolato R, Murphy WJ, et al (1995). A novel biologic function of serum amyloid A. Induction of T lymphocyte migration and adhesion. J Immunol, 155, 1184-90.
- Forner A, Llovet JM, Bruix J (2012). Hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet, 379, 1245-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61347-0
- Ganapathi MK, May LT, Schultz D, et al (1988). Role of interleukin-6 in regulating synthesis of C-reactive protein and serum amyloid A in human hepatoma cell lines. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 157, 271-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(88)80043-3
- Gao J, Xie L, Yang WS, et al (2012). Risk factors of hepatocellular carcinoma--current status and perspectives. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 743-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.743
- Giessen C, Nagel D, Glas M, et al (2014). Evaluation of preoperative serum markers for individual patient prognosis in stage I-III rectal cancer. Tumour Biol, 35, 10237-48 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2338-6
- Glojnaric I, Casl MT, Simic D and Lukac J (2001). Serum amyloid A protein (SAA) in colorectal carcinoma. Clin Chem Lab Med, 39, 129-33
- Hashimoto K, Ikeda Y, Korenaga D, et al (2005). The impact of preoperative serum C-reactive protein on the prognosis of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer, 103, 1856-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20976
- He QY, Zhu R, Lei T, et al (2008). Toward the proteomic identification of biomarkers for the prediction of HBV related hepatocellular carcinoma. J Cell Biochem, 103, 740-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.21443
- Kaneti J, Winikoff Y, Zimlichman S, Shainkin-Kestenbaum R (1984). Importance of serum amyloid A (SAA) level in monitoring disease activity and response to therapy in patients with prostate cancer. Urol Res, 12, 239-41.
- Khan N, Cromer CJ, Campa M and Patz EF Jr (2004). Clinical utility of serum amyloid A and macrophage migration inhibitory factor as serum biomarkers for the detection of nonsmall cell lung carcinoma. Cancer, 101, 379-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20377
- Kimura M, Tomita Y, Imai T, et al (2001). Significance of serum amyloid A on the prognosis in patients with renal cell carcinoma. Cancer, 92, 2072-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20011015)92:8<2072::AID-CNCR1547>3.0.CO;2-P
- Lee HY, Kim MK, Park KS, et al (2005). Serum amyloid A stimulates matrix-metalloproteinase-9 upregulation via for myl peptide receptor like-1-mediated signaling in human monocytic cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 330, 989-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2005.03.069
- Liu DH, Wang XM, Zhang LJ, et al (2007). Serum amyloid A protein: a potential biomarker correlated with clinical stage of lung cancer. Biomed Environ Sci, 20, 33-40.
- Meng YQ, Cao X, Wen ZS, et al (2014). Preoperative level of serum amyloid A is superior to C-reactive protein in the prognosis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Dis Esophagus, 27, 670-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/dote.12128
- Mittal A, Poudel B, Pandeya DR, et al (2012). Serum amyloid a as an independent prognostic factor for renal cell carcinoma--a hospital based study from the Western region of Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2253-5 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2253
- Nel AE, Strachan AF, Welke HE, de Beer FC (1984). Acute phase response in bronchiectasis and bronchus carcinoma. Respiration, 45, 406-10. https://doi.org/10.1159/000194647
- O'Hanlon DM, Lynch J, Cormican M, Given HF (2002). The acute phase response in breast carcinoma. Anticancer Res, 22, 1289-93.
- Bioulac-Sage P, Rebouissou S, Thomas C, et al (2007). Hepatocellular adenoma subtype classification using molecular markers and immunohistochemistry. Hepatology, 46, 740-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.21743
- Biran H, Friedman N, Neumann L, et al (1986). Serum amyloid A (SAA) variations in patients with cancer: correlation with disease activity, stage, primary site, and prognosis. J Clin Pathol, 39, 794-7 https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.39.7.794
- Bjcrkman L, Karlsson J, Karlsson A, et al (2008). Serum amyloid A mediates human neutrophil production or reactive oxygen species through a receptor independent of formyl peptide receptor like-1. J Leukoc Biol, 83, 245-53.
- Camp RL, Dolled-Filhart M, Rimm DL (2004). X-tile: a new bio-informatics tool for biomarker assessment and outcome-based cut-point optimization. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 7252-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0713
- Chan DC, Chen CJ, Chu HC, et al (2007). Evaluation of serum amyloid A as a biomarker for gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol, 14, 84-93.
- Chen SH, Liao HK, Chang CY, et al (2007). Targeted protein quantitation and profiling using PVDF affinity probe and MALDI-TOF MS. Proteomics, 7, 3038-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.200700393
- Cho WC, Yip TT, et al (2004). Identification of serum amyloid a protein as a potentially useful biomarker to monitor relapse of nasopharyngeal cancer by serum proteomic profiling. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 43-52. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-0413-3
- Dowling P, Clarke C, Hennessy K, et al (2012). Analysis of acute-phase proteins, AHSG, C3, CLI, HP and SAA, reveals distinctive expression patterns associated with breast, colorectal and lung cancer. Int J Cancer, 131, 911-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.26462
- Ercolani G, Grazi GL, Ravaioli M, et al (2003). Liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma on cirrhosis: univariate and multivariate analysis of risk factors for intrahepatic recurrence. Ann Surg, 237, 536-43.
- Farooqui MS, Mittal A, Poudel B, et al (2012). Improved diagnostic accuracy of pancreatic diseases with a combination of various novel serum biomarkers--case control study from Manipal Teaching Hospital, Pokhara, Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2171-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2171
- Badolato R, Wang JM, Murphy WJ, et al (1994). Serum amyloid A is a chemoattractant: induction of migration, adhesion, and tissue infiltration of monocytes and polymorphonuclear leukocytes. J Exp Med, 180, 203-9 https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.180.1.203
- Benson MD, Eyanson S and Fineberg NS (1986). Serum amyloid A in carcinoma of the lung. Cancer, 57, 1783-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19860501)57:9<1783::AID-CNCR2820570912>3.0.CO;2-L
- Yamada T (1999): Serum amyloid A (SAA): A concise review of biology, assay methods and clinical usefulness. Clin Chem Lab Med, 37, 381-8.
- Identification of circulating protein biomarkers in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma concomitantly infected with chronic hepatitis C virus pp.1366-5804, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/1354750X.2016.1252966
- Serum amyloid A in the diagnosis of feline sepsis pp.1943-4936, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1040638717722815
- Bioinformatics analysis to identify the key genes affecting the progression and prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma vol.39, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1042/BSR20181845
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China