- Volume 15 Issue 24
DOI QR Code
Depression, Anxiety and Sexual Satisfaction in Breast Cancer Patients and their Partners-Izmir Oncology Group Study
- Alacacioglu, Ahmet ;
- Ulger, Eda ;
- Varol, Umut ;
- Yildiz, Ibrahim ;
- Salman, Tarik ;
- Bayoglu, Vedat ;
- Dirican, Ahmet ;
- Demir, Lutfiye ;
- Akyol, Murat ;
- Yildiz, Yasar ;
- Kucukzeybek, Yuksel ;
- Ataman, Gorkem ;
- Can, Huseyin ;
- Alacacioglu, Inci ;
- Tarhan, Mustafa Oktay
- Published : 2015.01.22
Background: We aimed to investigate anxiety, depression and sexual satisfaction levels and the effects of depression and anxiety upon the sexual satisfaction of Turkish breast cancer patients and their partners. Materials and Methods: Data were collected from one hundred breast cancer patients and their partners, using three forms: one covering information about socio-demographic characteristics of the patients, the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADs) and the Golombok-Rust Inventory of Sexual Satisfaction (GRISS). Results: The frequencies, avoidance and touch subscores were statistically significantly high in the patients. Among those with high anxiety scores, the frequency, communication, satisfaction, touch, and anorgasmic subscale scores of GRISS were found to be significantly high. Among the partners whose anxiety scores were high, only the premature ejaculation subscale was statistically significant. It was determined that for partners with higher depression scores, the communication, satisfaction, avoidance, premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction subscores of GRISS were statistically higher compared to partners with lower depression scores. Conclusions: Patients' quality of life may be increased by taking precautions to reduce their and their partners' psychosocial and psychosexual concerns.
Depression;anxiety;sexual satisfaction;breast cancer;Turkey
- Stillerman AH. Sexual adjustment to mastectomy: Descreption comparison with partner's perspective and prediction of sexual adjustment. Dis Abstr Northwestern Univ, 1984.
- Sun MQ, Meng AF, Huang XE, Wang MX(2013). Comparison of psychological influence on breastcancer patiens between breast-conserving surgery and modified radical mastectomy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 149-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.149
- Tugrul C, Oztan N, KabakciE (1993). Golombok-rust cinsel doyum olcegi'nin standardizasyon calismasi. Turk PsikiyatriDergisi, 4, 83-8.
- Yavuzsen T, Karadibak D, CehreliR, Dirioz M (2012). Effect of group therapy on psychological symptoms and quality of life in Turkish patients with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5593-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5593
- Vanderwerker LC, Laff RE, Kadan-Lottick NS, et al (2005). Psychiatric disorders and mental health service use among caregivers of advanced cancer patients. J Clin Oncol, 23, 6899-907. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.01.370
- Vukojevic M, Peric I, Kordic M (2012). Anxiety and depression in oncology patients in the mostar university clinical hospital. Lijec Vjesn, 134, 208-14.
- Wang X, Wang SS, Peng RJ, et al (2012). Interaction of coping styles and psychological stress on anxious and depressive symptoms in Chinese breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1645-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1645
- Wilmont MC (1998). " Sexuality" in psychosocial dimensions of oncology nursing care. Burke CC (ed). Pittsburg: Oncology Nursing Press.
- Yusoff N, Low WY, Yip CH (2011). Psychometric properties of the Malay Version of the hospital anxiety and depression scale: a study of husbands of breast cancer patients in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 915-7.
- Zainal NZ, Nik-Jaafar NR, Baharudin A, SabkiZA, Ng CG (2013). Prevalence of depression in breast cancer survivors: a systematic review of observational studies. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2649-56. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2649
- Zigmond AS, Snaith RP (1983). The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr Scand, 67, 361-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1983.tb09716.x
- Alacacioglu A, Yavuzsen T, Dirioz M, Yilmaz U (2009). Quality of life, anxiety and depression in Turkish breast cancer patients and in their husbands. Med Oncol, 26, 415-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-008-9138-z
- Alteri R, Bandi P, Brinton L, et al (2011). Breast Cancer Facts & Figures, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Anderson M.S, Johnson J (1994). Restoration of body image and self-esteem for women after cancer treatment. A rehabilitative strategy. Cancer Practice, 2, 345-9.
- Anllo LM (2000). Sexual life after breast cancer. J Sex Marital Ther, 26, 241-8.
- Akyolcu N (2008). Meme kanserinde cerrahigirisim sonrasicinsel yasam. Meme SagligiDergisi, 4, 77-83.
- Al-Ghazal SK, Sully L, Fallowfield L, Blamey RW (2000). The psychological impact versusvvvvv of immediate rather than delayed breast reconstruction. Eur J Surg Oncol, 26, 17-19. https://doi.org/10.1053/ejso.1999.0733
- Arikan N (2010). Traumatic an experience : Breast cancer and mastectomy. J Crisis, 39-46.
- Avis NE, Crawford S, Manuel J (2004). Psychosocial problems amoung younger women with breast cancer . Psychooncology, 13, 295-308. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.744
- Aydemir O (1997). Validity and reliability of turkish version of hospital anxiety and depression scale. Turk Psikiyatri Dergisi, 8, 280-7.
- Baider L, Andritsch E, Uziely B, et al (2003). Do different cultural settings affect the psychological distress of women with breast cancer? A randomized study. Eur J Cancer Care, 12, 263-73. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2354.2003.00412.x
- Compas BE, Worsham NL, Epping-Jordan JE, et al (1994). When mom or dad has cancer: Markers of psychological distress in cancer patients, spouses, and children. Health Psychol, 13, 507-15. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6126.96.36.1997
- Derogatis LR, Morrow GR, Fetting J (1983). The prevalence of psychiatric disorder among cancer patients. JAMA, 249, 751-5. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1983.03330300035030
- Frick E, Tyroller M, Panzer M (2007). Anxiety, depression and quality of life of cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy: a cross-sectional study in a community hospital outpatient centre. Eur J Cancer Care, 16, 130-6.
- Gagnon P, Massie MJ, Holland JC (1993) The woman with breast cancer: Psychosocial considerations. Cancer Bulletin, 45, 538-42.
- Given B, Given CW (1992). Patient and family caregiver reaction to new and recurrent breast cancer. J Am Med Women's Assoc, 47, 201-06.
- Grunfield E, Coyle D, Whelan T, et al (2004). Family caregiver burden: results of a longitudinal study of breast cancer patients and their principal caregivers. Can Med Assoc J , 170, 1795-801. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1031205
- HarirchiI, MontazeriA, BidokhtiFZ, et al (2012). Sexual function in breast cancer patients: a prospective study from Iran. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 9, 20.
- Hodgkinson K, Butow P, Hunt GE, et al (2007). Life after cancer: couples and partners psychological adjustment and supportive care needs. Support Care Cancer, 15, 405-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-006-0148-0
- Hong JS, Tian J (2014). Prevalence of anxiety and depression and their risk factors in Chinese cancer patients. Supportive Care Cancer, 22, 453-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-013-1997-y
- Manne S, Ostroff J, Sherman J, et al (2003). Buffering effects of family and friend support on associations between partner unsupportive behaviors and coping among women with breast cancer. J Soc Personal Relationships, 20, 771-92. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407503206004
- Manne S, Sherman M, Ross S, et al (2004). Couples' support-related communication, psychological distress, and relationship satisfaction among women with early stage breast cancer. J Consult Clin Psychol, 72, 660-70. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.72.4.660
- McPherson K, Steel CM, Dixon JM (2000). ABC of breast disease. Breast cancer-epidemiology, risk factors, and genetics. BMJ, 9, 624-8.
- Mirowsky J, Ross C (2003). Education, social status and health. walter de gruyter Inc. New york
- Morris T, Greer HS, White P (1977). Psychological and social adjustment to mastectomy: A two-year follow up study. Cancer, 40, 2381-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197711)40:5<2381::AID-CNCR2820400555>3.0.CO;2-B
- Nazlican E, Akbaba M, Okyaya RA (2012). Evaluation of depression in newly diagnosed breast cancer cases in Hatay province of Turkey in 2011. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2557-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2557
- Nik Jaafar RN, Selamat Din SH, SainiSM, et al (2014). Clinical depression while caring for loved ones with breast cancer. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 55, 52-9.
- PelusiJ (2006). Sexuality and body image. Cancer Nurs, 29, 32-8.
- Pumo V, Milone G, Iacono M, et al (2012). Psychological and sexual disorders in long-term breast cancer survivors. Cancer Manag Res, 4, 61-5.
- Rust J, Golombok S (1986). The GRISS: a psychometric instrument for the assessment of sexual dysfunc-tion. Arch Sex Behav, 15, 157-65. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01542223
- Schou I, Ekeberg O, Ruland CM (2004). Pessimism as a predictor of emotional morbidity one year following breast cancer surgery. Psychooncology, 13, 309-20. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.747
- Schover LR(1999).Counseling cancer patients about changes in sexual function. Oncology, 13, 1585-91.
- Segrin C, Badger T.A, Meek P, et al (2005). Dyadic interpendence on affect and quality of life trajectories among women with breast cancer and their partners. J Soc Personel Relationships, 22, 673-89. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407505056443
- Segrin C, Badger, TA Dorros S, et al (2007). Interdependent anxiety and psychological distress in women with breast cancer and their partners. Pschooncology, 16, 634-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1111
- Smigal C, Siegel R, Jemal A (2007). Breast cancer facts & figures 2005-2006, American cancer society, Atlanta, Georgia
- Stanton A, Reed G (2003). The breast cancer notebook: The healing power of reflection. Washington, D.C. American Psychological Association.
- Stienberg MD, Juliano MA, Wise L (1985). Psychological outcome of lumpectomy versus mastectomy in the treatment of breast cancer. Am J Psychiatry, 142, 32-9.