- Volume 15 Issue 24
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Environmental Risk Factors for Prostate Cancer in a Population of Iranian Patients
- Pouresmaeili, Farkhondeh (Department of Medical Genetics and Infertility and Reproductive Health Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Hosseini, S. Jalil (Infertility and Reproductive Health Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Farzaneh, Farah (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Karimpour, Arezoo (Department of Medical Genetics and Infertility and Reproductive Health Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Azargashb, Eznollah (Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Yaghoobi, Mohammad (Urology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Kamarehei, Maryam (Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Tehran)
- 발행 : 2015.01.22
Background: The Prostate cancer is the 2nd most common cancer worldwide for males, and the 5th most common cancer overall, with an estimated 900,000 new cases diagnosed in 2008 (14% of the total in males and 7% of the total overall) aim of this study was to assess some of the most proposed environmental factors influencing the incidence of prostate cancer among Iranian men. Smoking, opioids, occupation and living location were considered as studied risk factors of the prostate cancer in this research. Material and methods: Two groups of affected men with prostate cancer and controls aged 50-75 years referred to medical clinics were subjects in this case-control study. Living and working place, smoking and drug consuming habits were assessed for any associations with prostate cancer. Results: The largest number, of patients, in order, belonged to Tehran, provincial capitals, major industrial cities, small towns and villages, respectively. The disease showed links with smoking and drugs with a significant difference between controls and patients (P value <0.0001). Conclusions: Our recent evidence duplicates previously done researches confirming the serious adverse effects of smoking and drugs on the prostate cancer occurrence in Iranian men. Living place bearings some hazardous behaviors which increases the rate of diseases as well as advanced chance for associated cancers like prostate.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Shahid Beheshti university of Medical Sciences
- Akbari ME, Hosseini SJ, Rezaee A, et al (2008). Incidence of genitourinary cancers in the Islamic Republic of Iran: a survey in 2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 549-52.
- Mohagheghi MA, Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Malekzadeh R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence in Tehran metropolis: the first report from the Tehran Population-Based Cancer Registry, 1998-2001. Arch Iran Med, 12, 15-23.
- Askari F1, Parizi MK, Jessri M, et al (2014). Dietary patterns in relation to prostate cancer in Iranian men: a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2159-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2159
- Bae JM, Li ZM, Shin MH, Kim DH, et al (2013). Cigarette smoking and prostate cancer risk: negative results of the Seoul Male Cancer Cohort Study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4667-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4667
- Boffetta P, Nyberg F (2003). Contribution of environmental factors to cancer risk. Br Med Bull, 68, 71-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/bmp/ldg023
- Calderon-Garciduenas L, Mora-Tiscareno A, Francolira M, et al (2013). Exposure to urban air pollution and bone health in clinically healthy six-year-old children. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol, 64, 23-34.
- Center MM, Jemal A, Lortet-Tieulent J, et al (2012). International variation in prostate cancer incidence and mortality rates. Eur Urol, 61, 1079-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2012.02.054
- Cerhan JR, Parker AS, Putnam SD, et al (1999). Family history and prostate cancer risk in a population-based cohort of Iowa men family history and prostate cancer risk in a population-based cohort of Iowa men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 8, 53-60.
- Crawford ED (2003). Epidemiology of prostate cancer. Urology, 62, 3-12.
- Doolan G, Benke G, Giles G (2014). An update on occupation and prostate cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 501-16. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.501
- English KM, Pugh PJ, Parry H, et al (2001). Effect of cigarette smoking on levels of bioavailable testosterone in healthy men. Clinical Science (Lond), 100, 661-5. https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20010011
- Heidenreich A, Bastian PJ, Bellmunt J, et al (2014). EAU guidelines on prostate cancer. Part II: Treatment of advanced, relapsing, and castration-resistant prostate cancer. Eur Urol, 65, 467-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2013.11.002
- Hosseini M, SeyedAlinaghi S, Mahmoudi M, et al (2010). A case-control study of risk factors for prostate cancer in Iran. Acta Med Iran, 48, 61-6.
- Huncharek M, Haddock KS, Reid R, et al (2010). Smoking as a risk factor for prostate cancer: a meta-analysis of 24 prospective cohort studies. Am J Public Health, 100, 693-701. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2008.150508
- Joseph MA, Wei JT, Harlow SD, et al (2004). Relationship of serum sex-steroid hormones and prostatevolume in African American Men. Prostate, 329, 322-9.
- Long XJ, Lin S, Sun YN, Zheng ZF (2012). Diabetes mellitus and prostate cancer risk in Asian countries: a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4097-100. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4097
- Mazdak H, Mazdak M, Jamali L, et al (2012). Determination of prostate cancer risk factors in Isfahan, Iran: a case-control study. Med Arh, 66, 45-8.
- Moslemi MK, Lotfi F, Tahvildar SA (2011). Evaluation of prostate cancer prevalence in Iranian male population with increased PSA level, a one center experience. Cancer Manag Res, 3, 227-31.
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Ozbek E, Otunctemur A, Dursun M, et al (2014). The metabolic syndrome is associated with more aggressive prostate cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4029-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.4029
- Pour PM (1981). A new prostatic cancer model: systemic induction of prostatic cancer in rats by a nitrosamine. Cancer Lett, 13, 303-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(81)90058-6
- Pourmand G, Salem S, Mehrsai A, et al (2007). The risk factors of prostate cancer: a multicentric case-control study in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 422-8.
- Quinn M, Babb P (2002). Patterns and trends in prostate cancer incidence, survival, prevalence and mortality. Part I: international comparisons. BJU Int, 90, 162-73. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1464-410X.2002.2822.x
- Rohani-Rasaf M1, Abdollahi M, Jazayeri S et al (2013). Correlation of cancer incidence with diet, smoking and socio- economic position across 22 districts of Tehran in 2008. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1669-76. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1669
- RS P (1993). Epidemiology of prostate cancer; with emphasis on familial clusters. Cancer Bull, 45, 384-9.
- Winkelstein W, Kantor S (1963). Particulate air pollution, thus replicating findings in the Nashville economic status. Nonlinearity Biol Toxicol Med, 59, 259-92.
- Yang B, Chen WH, Wen XF, et al (2013). Role of DNA repair-related gene polymorphisms in susceptibility to risk of prostate cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5839-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5839
- Zhou XF, Ding ZS, Liu NB (2013). Allium vegetables and risk of prostate cancer: evidence from 132,192 subjects. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4131-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4131
- Cardamonin represses proliferation, invasion, and causes apoptosis through the modulation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 pathway in prostate cancer vol.22, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10495-016-1313-7
- Nimbolide-Induced Oxidative Stress Abrogates STAT3 Signaling Cascade and Inhibits Tumor Growth in Transgenic Adenocarcinoma of Mouse Prostate Model vol.24, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2015.6418
- A screening of growth inhibitory activity of Iranian medicinal plants on prostate cancer cell lines vol.8, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1051/bmdcn/2018080208
- Prevalence and factors associated with the performance of prostate cancer screening in the elderly: a population-based study vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1981-22562018021.170054