- Volume 15 Issue 24
DOI QR Code
A Novel Model for Smart Breast Cancer Detection in Thermogram Images
- Kazerouni, Iman Abaspur (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hakim Sabzevari University) ;
- Zadeh, Hossein Ghayoumi (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hakim Sabzevari University) ;
- Haddadnia, Javad (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hakim Sabzevari University)
- Published : 2015.01.22
Background: Accuracy in feature extraction is an important factor in image classification and retrieval. In this paper, a breast tissue density classification and image retrieval model is introduced for breast cancer detection based on thermographic images. The new method of thermographic image analysis for automated detection of high tumor risk areas, based on two-directional two-dimensional principal component analysis technique for feature extraction, and a support vector machine for thermographic image retrieval was tested on 400 images. The sensitivity and specificity of the model are 100% and 98%, respectively.
- Acharya U, Ng E, Jen-Hong T, Vinitha S (2012). Thermography based breast cancer detection using texture features and support vector machine. J Med Syst, 36 ,1503-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10916-010-9611-z
- Boquete L, Ortega S, Miguel-Jimenez J, et al (2012) . Automated detection of breast cancer in thermal infrared images, based on independent component analysis. J Med Syst, 36, 103-111. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10916-010-9450-y
- Boser B, Guyon I, and Vapnik V (1992) .A training algorithm for optimal margin classifiers', in proceedings of the fifth annual workshop on computational learning theory. ACM Press, 24, 144-152.
- Bray F, McCarron P, and Parkin D (2004) .The changing global patterns of female breast cancer incidence and mortality. Breast Cancer Res, 6, 229-39. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr932
- Buseman S, Mouchawar J, Calonge N, and Byers T (2003) .Mammography screening matters for young women with breast carcinoma. Cancer, 97, 352-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11050
- Chang C. and Lin C (2001) .LIBSVM: a library for support vector machines. Software available at http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/ cjlin/libsvm.
- Sawsan AT (2014). Breast magnetic resonance imaging indications in current practice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 569- 75. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.569
- Sickles E (1997). Breast cancer screening outcomes in women ages 40-49: Clinical experience with service screening using modern mammography. J Natl Cancer Inst Monographs, 22, 99-104.
- Thomas D, Cameron D, Mundy L, Hiller J (2013). A systematic review of elastography, electrical impedance scanning and digital infrared thermography for breast cancer screening and diagnosis. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 137, 665-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-012-2393-x
- Wafa M., Bilal A, Ijaz J, Tanweer K, et al (2014). Breast cancer: major risk factors and recent developments in treatment. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3353- 8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3353
- Wei L, Yang Y and Nishikawa R (2009). Micro-calcification classification assisted by content-based image retrieval for breast cancer diagnosis. Pattern Recognit, 42,1126-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2008.08.028
- Wolfe K (1976). Breast patterns as an index of risk for developing breast cancer. Am J Roentgenol, 34, 1130-9.
- Zhang D and Zhou Z (2005). (2D)2PCA: Two-directional Two-dimensional PCA for efficient face representation and recognition. Neurocomputing, 69, 224-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2005.06.004