- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Age Estimation by Radiological Measuring Pulp Chamber of Mandibular First Molar in Korean Adults
- Jeon, Hye-Mi (Department of Oral Medicine, Pusan National University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Jin-Hwa (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Heo, Jun-Young (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Ok, Soo-Min (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Jeong, Sung-Hee (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Ahn, Yong-Woo (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2015.11.05
- Accepted : 2015.12.07
- Published : 2015.12.30
Purpose: The purpose of present study was to develop a method for assessing the chronological age of Korean adults based on the relationship between age and size of pulp cavity using dental radiographs of mandibular first molars. Methods: A total of 325 dental radiographs of Korean adults with known age and gender were selected for the study (199 males and 126 females) which were taken in the period between January 2009 and June 2014 at the Pusan National University Dental Hospital. The measurements were carried out on both orthopantomographs (OPGs) and intraoral periapical radiographs of mandibular first molar and the following ratios were calculated: pulp chamber floor height ratio (F/L), pulp chamber ceiling height ratio (R/L), and pulp chamber depth ratio (D/L). Results: The ratios of measurements on intraoral periapical images of mandible first molar generally produce more reliable data than the measurements on OPGs. The pulp chamber floor height ratio and pulp chamber thickness ratio showed significant correlation with age, whereas the pulp chamber ceiling height ratios showed weak correlation with age. It was found that the best correlations between the ratios and age were found for pulp chamber thickness ratios (r=-0.731 to -0.751). The multiple regression models were derived using 3 ratios that were significantly correlated with age. The determination coefficients (
Dental age estimation;Dentin, secondary;Radiographs
- Stavrianos C, Mastagas D, Stavrianou I, Karaiskou O. Dental age estimation of adults: a review of methods and principals. Res J Med Sci 2008;2:258-268.
- Willems G. A review of the most commonly used dental age estimation techniques. J Forensic Odontostomatol 2001;19:9-17.
- Morse DR. Age-related changes of the dental pulp complex and their relationship to systemic aging. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1991;72:721-745. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(91)90019-9
- Kvaal SI, Kolltveit KM, Thomsen IO, Solheim T. Age estimation of adults from dental radiographs. Forensic Sci Int 1995;74:175-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/0379-0738(95)01760-G
- Bosmans N, Ann P, Aly M, Willems G. The application of Kvaal's dental age calculation technique on panoramic dental radiographs. Forensic Sci Int 2005;153:208-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2004.08.017
- Paewinsky E, Pfeiffer H, Brinkmann B. Quantification of secondary dentine formation from orthopantomograms--a contribution to forensic age estimation methods in adults. Int J Legal Med 2005;119:27-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00414-004-0492-x
- Drusini AG, Toso O, Ranzato C. The coronal pulp cavity index: a biomarker for age determination in human adults. Am J Phys Anthropol 1997;103:353-363. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-8644(199707)103:3<353::AID-AJPA5>3.0.CO;2-R
- Ikeda N, Umetsu K, Kashimura S, Suzuki T, Oumi M. Estimation of age from teeth with their soft X-ray findings. Nihon Hoigaku Zasshi 1985;39:244-250.
- Cameriere R, Ferrante L, Cingolani M. Variations in pulp/tooth area ratio as an indicator of age: a preliminary study. J Forensic Sci 2004;49:317-319.
- Cameriere R, Brogi G, Ferrante L, et al. Reliability in age determination by pulp/tooth ratio in upper canines in skeletal remains. J Forensic Sci 2006;51:861-864. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00159.x
- Cameriere R, Ferrante L, Belcastro MG, Bonfiglioli B, Rastelli E, Cingolani M. Age estimation by pulp/tooth ratio in canines by peri-apical X-rays. J Forensic Sci 2007;52:166-170. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00336.x
- Cameriere R, Cunha E, Sassaroli E, Nuzzolese E, Ferrante L. Age estimation by pulp/tooth area ratio in canines: study of a Portuguese sample to test Cameriere's method. Forensic Sci Int 2009;193:128.e1-e6.
- Cameriere R, De Luca S, Aleman I, Ferrante L, Cingolani M. Age estimation by pulp/tooth ratio in lower premolars by orthopantomography. Forensic Sci Int 2012;214:105-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2011.07.028
- Cameriere R, Cunha E, Wasterlain SN, et al. Age estimation by pulp/tooth ratio in lateral and central incisors by peri-apical Xray. J Forensic Leg Med 2013;20:530-536. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2013.02.012
- Meinl A, Tangl S, Pernicka E, Fenes C, Watzek G. On the applicability of secondary dentin formation to radiological age estimation in young adults. J Forensic Sci 2007;52:438-441. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00377.x
- Landa MI, Garamendi PM, Botella MC, Aleman I. Application of the method of Kvaal et al. to digital orthopantomograms. Int J Legal Med 2009;123:123-128. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00414-008-0268-9
- Saxena S. Age estimation of indian adults from orthopantomographs. Braz Oral Res 2011;25:225-229. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-83242011005000009
- Kanchan-Talreja P, Acharya AB, Naikmasur VG. An assessment of the versatility of Kvaal's method of adult dental age estimation in Indians. Arch Oral Biol 2012;57:277-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2011.08.020
- Agarwal N, Ahuja P, Sinha A, Singh A. Age estimation using maxillary central incisors: a radiographic study. J Forensic Dent Sci 2012;4:97-100. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.109897
- Erbudak HO, Ozbek M, Uysal S, Karabulut E. Application of Kvaal et al.'s age estimation method to panoramic radiographs from Turkish individuals. Forensic Sci Int 2012;219:141-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2011.12.012
- Limdiwala PG, Shah JS. Age estimation by using dental radiographs. J Forensic Dent Sci 2013;5:118-122. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.119778
- Karkhanis S, Mack P, Franklin D. Age estimation standards for a Western Australian population using the dental age estimation technique developed by Kvaal et al. Forensic Sci Int 2014;235:104.e1-e6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2013.12.008
- Igbigbi PS, Nyirenda SK. Age estimation of Malawian adults from dental radiographs. West Afr J Med 2005;24:329-333.
- Karkhanis S, Mack P, Franklin D. Age estimation standards for a Western Australian population using the coronal pulp cavity index. Forensic Sci Int 2013;231:412.e1-e6.
- Babshet M, Acharya AB, Naikmasur VG. Age estimation from pulp/tooth area ratio (PTR) in an Indian sample: a preliminary comparison of three mandibular teeth used alone and in combination. J Forensic Leg Med 2011;18:350-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2011.07.003
- Jeevan MB, Kale AD, Angadi PV, Hallikerimath S. Age estimation by pulp/tooth area ratio in canines: Cameriere's method assessed in an Indian sample using radiovisiography. Forensic Sci Int 2011;204:209.e1-e5.
- Zaher JF, Fawzy IA, Habib SR, Ali MM. Age estimation from pulp/tooth area ratio in maxillary incisors among Egyptians using dental radiographic images. J Forensic Leg Med 2011;18:62-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2010.12.004
- Babshet M, Acharya AB, Naikmasur VG. Age estimation in Indians from pulp/tooth area ratio of mandibular canines. Forensic Sci Int 2010;197:125.e1-e4.
- Jafarzadeh H, Wu YN. The C-shaped root canal configuration: a review. J Endod 2007;33:517-523. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2007.01.005
- Willems G, Moulin-Romsee C, Solheim T. Non-destructive dentalage calculation methods in adults: intra- and inter-observer effects. Forensic Sci Int 2002;126:221-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(02)00081-6
- Bodecker CF. A consideration of some of the changes in the teeth from young to old age. Dent Cosmos 1925;67:543-549.
- Chung ET, Kim CY. An estimation of age based on the changes in the human dental cavity caused by increase in age (by surface index of pulp cavity). Korean J Oral Med 1981;6:101-110.
- Hong HC, Ko MY. A study of the change of pulp cavity of the adult posterior teeth in ageing. Korean J Oral Med 1993;18:107-117.
- Jeon HS, Tae IH, Ko MY, Ahn YW. Age estimation by dental radiographs in Korean adults. Korean J Oral Med 2009;34:179-188.
- Philippas GG. Influence of occlusal wear and age on formation of dentin and size of pulp chamber. J Dent Res 1961;40:1186-1198. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345610400061301
- Shaw L, Jones AD. Morphological considerations of the dental pulp chamber from radiographs of molar and premolar teeth. J Dent 1984;12:139-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-5712(84)90048-4
- Mathew DG, Rajesh S, Koshi E, Priya LE, Nair AS, Mohan A. Adult forensic age estimation using mandibular first molar radiographs: a novel technique. J Forensic Dent Sci 2013;5:56-59. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.114552
- An Assessment of Radiological Age Estimation Method Using Mandibular First Molars in Korean Adults vol.41, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7580/kjlm.2017.41.1.7
- Age Estimation Based on Pulp Chamber Size of Mandibular First Molars from Intraoral Periapical Radiographs in Korean vol.42, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7580/kjlm.2018.42.2.56