- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Computational Analysis on the Noise Characteristics of Ship Large Duct
선박용 대형 덕트의 소음 특성 전산해석 연구
- Song, Jee-Hun (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Chonnam National University) ;
- Hong, Suk-Yoon (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Yi-Soo (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kwon, Hyun-Wung (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Koje College)
- Received : 2015.10.27
- Accepted : 2015.12.28
- Published : 2015.12.31
Noise prediction for HVAC(Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning) systems are normally performed by empirical method suggested by NEBB(National Environmental Balancing Bureau, 1994). However, the method is not suitable for large ducts in ships. In this paper, computational analysis methods are used to develop a noise prediction method for the large ducts in ships. To develop regression formula of attenuation of sound pressure level in large ducts, Boundary Element Method(BEM) is used. BEM and Computational Fluid Dynamics(CFD) are applied to the analysis of flow-induced noise in ducts with stiffeners inside. Loud noise above 100 dB can be generated in some cases. Breakout noises of large ducts are also analyzed by using BEM and Finite Element Method(FEM). The acoustic pressure level shows about 10-15dB difference between inside and outside of the duct. Utilizing the results of this study, it is expected that shipyard planners can predict noise of the HVAC system for ships.
Grant : 해양플랜트특성화대학
- ANSYS Inc.(2011), ANSYS FLUENT Release 14.0 User Manual, ANSYS Inc., pp. 361-372.
- Cummings, A.(2001), Sound transmission through duct walls, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 239, pp. 731-765. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2000.3226
- Irwin, J. D. and E. R. Graf(1979), Industrial noise and vibration control, Prentice-Hall, Inc, pp. 237-266.
- Kim, B. H.(2002), Development of the HVAC system noise prediction program, MS. Dissertation, Pusan National University, pp. 23-36.
- Kim, S. R., H. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, B. K. Kim and S. H. Lee(2010), Evaluation of Noise Reduction Performance of HVAC System for Ships, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 497-503.
- Korean Register(2014), Control of Ship Vibration and Noise, TextBooks, pp. 803-842.
- Kwon, J. H., M. S. Kim, D. S. Cho and B. H. Kim(2006), Noise Analysis of Large Container Carrier Vessel on HVAC Noise, Special issue of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, pp. 65-70.
- LMS Inc.(2010), SYSNOISE 5.6 Manuals, LMS Inc., Volume I-IV.
- MSC Inc.(2004), NASTRAN Refernce Manuals, MSC Inc., pp. 412-509.
- National Environmental Balancing Bureau(1994), Sound and Vibration Design and Analysis, Rockville, Md, Chapter 4-7.
- Nishimura, M., Y. Hayashi, K. Kitagawa and M. Hasegawa (1989), A new method for predicting duct noise by acoustic power balance, The Japan society of mechanical engineers, Vol. 88, pp. 2764-2771.
- Raynolds, D. D. and J. M. Bledsoe(1989), Sound attenuation of unlined and acoustically lined rectangular ducts, ASHRAE Transactions, Vol. 95, Pt. 1.
- Yu, Y. H. and J. H. Noh(2013), A Study on the Characteristics of Noise for the HVAC Duct System of Ship, Proceeding of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, pp. 185-186.