- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Impact of Emotional Labor on Job Burnout Marine Police Officials
해양경찰공무원의 감정노동이 직무소진에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Jong-Gil (Department of Coast Guard Science, Kunsan National University)
- 김종길 (군산대학교 해양경찰학과)
- Received : 2015.11.16
- Accepted : 2015.12.28
- Published : 2015.12.31
Due to paradigm shift in administration, the field of police administration, like its civilian counterpart, is spending effort to improve customer-oriented civil complaint service system, and this is leading to a negative factor in service providers, emotional labor, among police officers. This study examines amount of emotional labor of maritime police officers, and verify the effects of emotional labor on exhaustion. Results show maritime police officers experience about the same amount of emotional labor as other public workers, and emotional labor has effects on work exhaustion. In other words, perception of incongruity of emotion has positive effects on exhaustion on cynical attitude. Attention to emotional expression has negative effects on decrease of job effectiveness. As such, if the problem of emotional labor is neglected, it leads to exhaustion and can become a significant obstacle to performance due to negative organizational influence. Also, it can lead to serious physical and mental problems on the individual level. Therefore, policy implementation to prevent this problem is necessary.
Supported by : 군산대학교
- Cherniss, C.(1980), Staff burnout : Job stress in the human services, Beverly Hills, Calif., Sage Publications.
- Do, H. O.(2012), Influence of Hotel Employees' Emotional Labor on Job Attitude : Focusing on the Mediating Effects of Organizational Culture, Korea tourism reseach association, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 137-159.
- Hochschild, A. R.(1983), The managed heart: Commercialization of human feeling, With a new afterword, Univ of California Press.
- Hwang, S. O.(2012), An Empirical Study on the Relationship between Emotional Labor Strategy and Job Burnout : Moderating Role of Emotional Leadership and Trust, Doctoral Dissertation, Youngnam University.
- Hwang, I. H. and Y. H. Lee(2012), Influence of exhausting job stress and trauma stress of police officers, Korea physchological association, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 1115-1138.
- Jang, J, G.(2011), A study on the dynamism of emotional labor, Doctoral Dissertation, Korea University.
- Kim, S. G.(2009 a), An Exploratory Study on the Emotional Labor in Pubic Sector : Focused on Street-Level Bureaucrats in the Civil Service System, Korea association for local government, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 51-70.
- Kim, S. H.(2013), The Effects of Korean Police Officer's Emotional Labor on Burnout : Focused on Mediated Effect of Job Stress, Doctoral Dissertation. Youngnam University.
- Kim, S. H.(2009b), A Study on the emotional Labor of police officials in Korea, Korea association of police science, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 5-35.
- Kim, W. B., K. Y. Rhee and G. Lee(2012), Work Environment and Stress of Emotional Laborers, Korean Journal of Sociology, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 123-149.
- Kwak, M. M., H. Y. Hwang and S. Y. Kang(2015), A study on the antecedents and outcomes of emotional labor factors, pp. 218-238.
- Lee, I. S., M. S. Park and M. G. Jeong(2007), A Study on the Effect of Job Burnout - Based on the Professions Working in Financial Companies, Korea Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 2879-2900.
- Lee, Y. R. and S. H. Hong(2010), An Effect of the Emotional Labor on the Burnout and the Job Satisfaction of the Hotel Employees, Korea tourism reseach association, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 185-203.
- Oh, J. H. and N. Y. Lim(2006), Analysis of Factors Influencing Secondary Traumatic Stress, Burnout, and Physical Symptoms in Firefighters, The Korean journal of fundamentals of nursing, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 96-106.
- Oh, J. H. and P. R. Yook(2011), A Structural Relationship among Job Demands, Job Resources, Burnout and Job Satisfaction of Casino Employees -Focused on the Job Demand-Resources Model and the Facial Feedback Hypothesis, Korea tourism and management reseach association, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 375-397.
- Park, J. S. and S. N. An(2012), Relationships of Police Officer's Emotional Labor, Job Stress and Customer Orientation, Korea association for public security administration, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 49-70.
- Ro, S. U.(2015), A Study on the Influence of Police Officers' Emotional Labor on Organizational Effectiveness, Doctoral Dissertation, Wonkwang University, p. 47.
- Schaible, L. M. and V. Gecas(2010), The Impact of Emotional Labor and Value Dissonance on Burnout Among Police Officers, Police Quarterly, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 316-341. https://doi.org/10.1177/1098611110373997
- Sim, K. S.(2003), A Study on Job Satisfaction of Social Workers in Mental Health, Journal of Korean social welfare administration, No. 10, pp. 169-195.